RW Martin Kaut (2018, 16th, COL)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
All his goals have been of the late game clutch variety, it's good to see him rewarded for some good play. He's produced about the same as Zadina and Necas too.

So it's not like he's just grit and intangibles. Kaut can make plays, he has good vision and can put the puck in the net. I see him in the Landeskog mold, he's a do it all winger that there will always be some complaints he's not scoring or flashy enough but he's doing the heavy lifting and contributing on the scoreboard when it counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Had a goal, assisted on the game winner and not a peep?

This guy is one of the more underrated prospects in hockey.

He looks like a really strong two way player, with good hockeysense, gets physically involved and has very good offensive ability.

Great draft pick by the Avs imo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He looks like a really strong two way player, with good hockeysense, gets physically involved and has very good offensive ability.

He is an avs prospect afterall :sarcasm:

Reactions: weems

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

He didn't look good at all, somehow produced 1+1 though.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I've done my job in hyping him up. I'm the only one who ranked him top 10 in the draft.

Kaut is good at hockey.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I've done my job in hyping him up. I'm the only one who ranked him top 10 in the draft.

Kaut is good at hockey.
A bit early to take credit for hyping him, isn't it? He has not even played in the NHL yet. I also believe there was this one Swedish poster very high on Kaut as well (not that it matters though.)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Av fans aren't like Canuck or Leaf fans who bump every time their prospects' score a goal or assist.

He didn't look good at all, somehow produced 1+1 though.
Lol, what? He was Czech's most compete forward yesterday. He isn't flashy as Necas or Zadina, but next time just look at the amount of work he does along the boards, how his stick is always in good position, and how he's one of the first players on the backcheque. He was fantastic and wholeheartedly deserved his 1+1.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Av fans aren't like Canuck or Leaf fans who bump every time their prospects' score a goal or assist.

Lol, what? He was Czech's most compete forward yesterday. He isn't flashy as Necas or Zadina, but next time just look at the amount of work he does along the boards, how his stick is always in good position, and how he's one of the first players on the backcheque. He was fantastic and wholeheartedly deserved his 1+1.
He was slow and offensively he didn't show anything at all. If playing hard and being responsible defensively are the attributes you are looking for with a 16th overall pick, then so be it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He was slow and offensively he didn't show anything at all. If playing hard and being responsible defensively are the attributes you are looking for with a 16th overall pick, then so be it.
I don't disagree he needs to get faster, but saying he didn't show anything offencively when he contributed to both of Czech's goals is just disingenuous. He goes to the dirty areas and his goal yesterday was no fluke. Maybe you can classify it as weak by the Suisse goaler, but in IIHF history this will be a Czech win off the back of Kaut.

Reactions: czechcanadian

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I thought he was good in the 1st and had quite a few good chances but he was pretty invisible the rest of the game. He was really lucky the OT goal went in as he was dead tired and it would've been a dangerous odd man rush the other way. Still think he was the 2nd best forward after Zadina with Necas and Hrabik not far behind.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Kaut got better as the game went on, but in the first half he didn't look good at all, he was slow AF, he couldn't make a pass, he turned pucks over...
I was nervous everytime he had the puck.

Didn't have a good game overall, YET he somehow managed to score a goal and set up OT winner.

And that's what counts.

Reactions: Wooren

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So, Avs fans, how's he coming along? He's not exactly ripping it up but I noticed he's been hot of late. That and stats aren't everything.

Reactions: d rake

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Better of late... pacing to have a more productive season offensively this year than last year which is what you want to see.

Not sure how much offensive upside he has but he's killing penalties as well with the Eagles so I think he projects pretty safely to be an NHLer I just dont think it'll be as more than a high end 3rd liner type.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
When I checked earlier in the season he had something like 0 points in 9 games. Now he has 13 in 27 so it would appear he's finally catching some steam. .5 ppg as a 20 year old in the AHL is very good.

I did think he'd be further along though... can't seem to string together a good run of games due to injury/luck/consistency.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
When I checked earlier in the season he had something like 0 points in 9 games. Now he has 13 in 27 so it would appear he's finally catching some steam. .5 ppg as a 20 year old in the AHL is very good.

I did think he'd be further along though... can't seem to string together a good run of games due to injury/luck/consistency.

Confidence is a big issue. The Athletic put an article out about a month ago that was an interview with Kaut.

He had Pavel Francouz in the AHL with him last year who really helped him a tonne with living away from home and on his own for the first time and made that transition easier.

But with Francouz in the NHL this year Kaut is truly on his own for the first time and it sounds like he struggled a bit with that change in lifestyle. Combined with a slow start, then dealing with an injury, and reading his name in reader rumors wasn't making anything better. He just wasn't confident in himself at all.

But after Sakic went down to the Eagles and talked to him about everything it sounds like it lit a fire on him and got him the confidence boost he needed. 13 points in his last 18 games now and if he could keep that pace up over the Eagles remaining games this year he'd have a pretty decent year.

Reactions: obZen and Czechboy

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
In the Eagles-Condors games (not an Eagles/Avs fan) he looks decent. Tynan/Dries/Bowers look like the line drivers though.

Has nice hands and can make sweet passes so the high end skill is there. Was surprised he didn't have many points as the Eagles are good this season but the AHL is not an easy league and he just turned 20 like 3 months ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad