RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2019, 10th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Just saw this on rotoworld

Top Vancouver prospect Vasili Podkolzin is getting limited ice time in the KHL.

Podkolzin was selected 10th overall in the 2019 Draft and currently is the top prospect in the Vancouver chain but he is on the last season of a two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg and apparently he is seeing fourth line duty in an attempt to get him to sign on longer with the KHL squad. Despite limited action, he has a goal and an assist in three games but his lack of playing time could hurt his development.

Are they really doing this?

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008

Podkolzin was selected 10th overall in the 2019 Draft and currently is the top prospect in the Vancouver chain but he is on the last season of a two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg and apparently he is seeing fourth line duty in an attempt to get him to sign on longer with the KHL squad. Despite limited action, he has a goal and an assist in three games but his lack of playing time could hurt his development.

He will definitely come over after this season. With the way he plays, he could definitely gain Travis Greens trust as quick as Hughes did and get way more ice time in the NHL than KHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

This nonsense is ridiculous. I really grow to hate the canadian media(and fans for that matter) for those absurdely biased and one-sided takes. His limited icetime is NOT a problem for his development. It NEVER is. Development is not happening during games only. And a lot of prospects were ruined through being rushed and given too much icetime and too big of a role. He is playing for one of the very best coaches at evaluating young talent which he has proven often enough. Also people need to stop overreacting over a 5 games or so span. A season is not a sprint. Bragin knows best how to use his players to their and team's benefit.

And most of it derives from the horribly insecure take by most North Americacan coaches/teams/systems AND ans who want to have the player in "their" system, even if it would indeed hurt his development. But it is the cosy, familiar american pathway CHL/AHL/NHL. They should ask themselves what the ultimate goal is with prospects. Getting the best possible player out of a prospect or feel like grabbing a beer because all is simple and the guy is playing for the AHL affiliate?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This nonsense is ridiculous. I really grow to hate the canadian media(and fans for that matter) for those absurdely biased and one-sided takes. His limited icetime is NOT a problem for his development. It NEVER is. Development is not happening during games only. And a lot of prospects were ruined through being rushed and given too much icetime and too big of a role. He is playing for one of the very best coaches at evaluating young talent which he has proven often enough. Also people need to stop overreacting over a 5 games or so span. A season is not a sprint. Bragin knows best how to use his players to their and team's benefit.

And most of it derives from the horribly insecure take by most North Americacan coaches/teams/systems AND ans who want to have the player in "their" system, even if it would indeed hurt his development. But it is the cosy, familiar american pathway CHL/AHL/NHL. They should ask themselves what the ultimate goal is with prospects. Getting the best possible player out of a prospect or feel like grabbing a beer because all is simple and the guy is playing for the AHL affiliate?
Well said. We even see the same thing in the AHL where young talented players get limited minutes to start. Nothing wrong with making young guys earn their ice time.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
. And a lot of prospects were ruined through being rushed and given too much icetime and too big of a role.

Agree with most except who is an example of a Russian who was ruined with being given too much icetime?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not an ice time issue, but I'd say Burmistrov's development was compromised because he was given too big a role in the NHL too soon.

I don't believe Burmistrov had a huge role his rookie season he was averaging 13 minutes a game. I just believe he was simply rushed. Very very rarely are Russian teens able to transition smoothly to the NHL in any role especially forwards.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Agree with most except who is an example of a Russian who was ruined with being given too much icetime?
Nichushkin was rushed into playing on the first line in Dallas while he was obviously not ready. Dallas eventually learned from their mistake and now look Gurianov has 17pts these playoffs, Nichushkin has 3. On the other side Gusev in his breakout 70+pts season in the KHL played around 15 minutes per game, not 18 or 20. Sometimes less is more. Sticking to mantras is always dangerous. More icetime does not equal better development.

Also playing 20 minutes a game in a worse league might hurt development more than sitting in the press box , but practicing with the big team and being taught by it's coaches. A year and a half in juniors did not do any favors to Rubtsov for example. He's had the icetime and the points, but he was playing on a much lower level than he could have.

Podkolzin is doing just fine playing in the KHL as a regular at this age. And not throwing too many inutesand assignments a him might be good at this point. Right now their line is pretty defunct after clicking last season. It happens. Bragin has already started looking for options(and caused a huge moan on here, 'cause "our boy has to play on the top line" and stuff). People also forget that the whole line's icetime is also dependant on their performance. If they started scoring goals, their icetime would also go up.

Reactions: CanuckCity

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Most Canuck fans knew this was going to happen. at this point I guess he's in a better place then a lot of other prospects who are not even playing right now. It was bound to happen CKA is a deep hockey club, and it' was hard pressed for him or any other kid to get actual top 6 minutes on a strong team like that.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The thing about KHL teams and not giving big role for young players...
well...Marchenko (11 months older what Podkolzin), Morozov (14 months older what Podkolzin)
have been given a bigger role from SKA, where as Podkolzin, still playing 7-9 minutes per game.

Morozov tonight : above 18 minutes (0+2)
Marchenko tonight : above 17 minutes (1+0)
Podkolzin tonight : less than 9 minutes (0+0)

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
well...Marchenko (11 months older what Podkolzin), Morozov (14 moths older what Podkolzin)
have been given a bigger role from SKA, where as Podkolzin, still playing 7-9 minutes per game.

So guys at least a year older than the guy who just turned 19 get more ice time.
Breaking news!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Maybe he just isn't good enough yet to play bigger role in the KHL.
- or is he really in their HC's doghouse?
He moved Podkolzin's linemates on a top 6 line so to speak with Tkachyov. Top 6 line players do play around 17-18 minutes. As I mentioned Bragins is working. He is trying to make his players work. He is changing things as the Morozov line was ice cold. Logical to first move older guys up, to see how they fare there. The big reveal - they did score. Tkachyov and Marchenko scored a goal apiece, Morozov got two assists. So it worked. Now blame the coach for doing something that works.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've always thought there should be a loan type system in European hockey like the one they that they use in soccer where stronger, rich clubs can loan their talented youngsters to a weaker club in the league for a year so that the young players can still stay in the league and get more playing time . I think this would be good for someone like Podkolzin . Obviously him being on SKA is still good because he gets to learn from talented vets and this is a better than him playing in the AHL. However, I think this loan type system would be better than the other options.

Or does this already exist?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I've always thought there should be a loan type system in European hockey like the one they that they use in soccer where stronger rich clubs can loan their talented youngsters to a weaker club in the league for a year so that the young players can still stay in the league and get more playing time . I think this would be good for someone like Podkolzin . Obviously him being on SKA is still good because he gets to learn from talented vets and this is a better than him playing in the AHL. However, I think this loan type system would be better than the other options.

SKA has 2 teams in the league which are unofficial farms. One of them is Podkolzin's ex team which developed him-Vityaz. If they wanted, they would have loaned him.

Reactions: wings5

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
well...Marchenko (11 months older what Podkolzin), Morozov (14 months older what Podkolzin)

SKA definitely playing politics with Podz and are pissed off that the young Russian isnt signing a contract extension.

Morozov and Marchenko were absoloutely dog poop the game before.

LMAO they were -6 combined between the 2 of them in the first period and needed Podz to come back to their line to stabilize them.

Then next game, Morozov and Marchenko inexplicably gets promoted to 1st line with Linden Vey. Good for them for taking advantage of the minutes tho.

Still both, are very much inferior prospects compared to the likes of Podz.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
SKA definitely playing politics with Podz and are pissed off that the young Russian isnt signing a contract extension.

Morozov and Marchenko were absoloutely dog poop the game before.

LMAO they were -6 combined between the 2 of them in the first period and needed Podz to come back to their line to stabilize them.

Then next game, Morozov and Marchenko inexplicably gets promoted to 1st line with Linden Vey. Good for them for taking advantage of the minutes tho.

Still both, are very much inferior prospects compared to the likes of Podz.
LOL Conspiracy theories at their finest. You are the one here who is playing politics.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
SKA has 2 teams in the league which are unofficial farms. One of them is Podkolzin's ex team which developed him-Vityaz. If they wanted, they would have loaned him.
Another conspiracy theory. There are no "unofficial farms" in the KHL.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Another conspiracy theory. There are no "unofficial farms" in the KHL.

Who are you trying to fool? Me? Or clueless westerners here? Sochi has 10 players affiliated with SKA on their roster and Vityaz is the team which "traded" their leading scorer(who is leading SKA in scoring now) for rights for Pontus Aberg who played in AHL.

Reactions: slumpy43

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
This is going to be like a huge trade deadline trade for the Canucks in April when Podz comes to the NHL. I guess the blessing in disguise is 8 min a night in KHL is going to have him fresh rather than dead legs by April.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Who are you trying to fool? Me? Or clueless westerners here? Sochi has 10 players affiliated with SKA on their roster and Vityaz is the team which "traded" their leading scorer(who is leading SKA in scoring now) for rights for Pontus Aberg who played in AHL.
Who are YOU trying to fool? Weaker teams in the KHL have to rely on money deals to make the ends meet. That's all the mystery. They sell even their best players to the rich teams for a bag of money(and sometimes some meaningless asstes).

What is that "affiliation" you are talking about? Try to be factual instead of oveusing "".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad