RW/LW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2019, 10th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

In fairness to Podkolzin, he does have his supporters, although I question how anyone can watch that game and say that he generated 25-30 scoring chances for teammates. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone generate 25-30 scoring chances for teammates and I watched Mario and Wayne in their prime.

He didn't generate 25-30 scoring chances but I thought he looked pretty good.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I rate the talent and do certainly argue that performances in tournaments are overblown, but the production in general isn't as great as I'd want in someone if I am taking them with picks 3-5 or so, especially since he also cannot come over for at least 2 years.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The Podkolzin special:

Forces a shot in an excellent 3-on-2 situation.

"High IQ player"

And yes as we all know by now I'm the biggest cherry picker to ever grace these boards and don't actually ever watch hockey so no need to mention that.

That is hardly an excellent 3 on 2 situation....

Reactions: CanuckCity

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That is hardly an excellent 3 on 2 situation....

Disagree if you want, but if that's Boldy, Zegras or Turcotte (or Dach, or Krebs for that matter) with the puck on their stick there instead of Podkolzin I'm pretty sure that's an automatic goal or at the very least a high quality scoring chance / shot on net. Podkolzin makes one of the lowest percentage plays he can do in that situation. You would not see any of the guys I mentioned above do what he did there.

Really all he needs to do there is to put on the brakes which will allow him to find the seam to the russian player the furthest away from him and that should be an automatic goal since the goalie has no chance of making that transition in time.

Reactions: Andrei79

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson has also had great performances at junior tournaments. So wouldn't include him.

I wouldn't say he had a great performance, although he scored over a 1PPG clip in WJC-18, he only put up .62 PPG in the u20 tournaments. Hardly anything that is earth shattering considering he can be a top 5 NHL player.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Disagree if you want, but if that's Boldy, Zegras or Turcotte (or Dach, or Krebs for that matter) with the puck on their stick there instead of Podkolzin I'm pretty sure that's an automatic goal or at the very least a high quality scoring chance / shot on net. Podkolzin makes one of the lowest percentage plays he can do in that situation. You would not see any of the guys I mentioned above do what he did there.

Really all he needs to do there is to put on the brakes which will allow him to find the seam to the russian player the furthest away from him and that should be an automatic goal since the goalie has no chance of making that transition in time.
Wow I mean that’s gotta be the reach of the century. Automatic goal on a 3 on 2.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wow I mean that’s gotta be the reach of the century. Automatic goal on a 3 on 2.

Reach of the century? That's a routine play in the NHL. Hell, this USNTDP team has scored many goals so far this tourney in similar situations.

Either way, do you like his decision to shoot the puck in that situation? Is that the most high percentage play he can make there? If no, then you should be worried because this type of decisions are something you can see Podkolzin do a lot if you go through game tape on him.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Reach of the century? That's a routine play in the NHL. Hell, this USNTDP team has scored many goals so far this tourney in similar situations.

Either way, do you like his decision to shoot the puck in that situation? Is that the most high percentage play he can make there? If no, then you should be worried because this type of decisions are something you can see Podkolzin do a lot if you go through game tape on him.
He's the best most talented player on his team and the defender just makes a good play. The passes seem covered and I am ok with the shot. Saying a 3 on 2 is an automatic goal is just wild.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's the best most talented player on his team and the defender just makes a good play. The passes seem covered and I am ok with the shot. Saying a 3 on 2 is an automatic goal is just wild.

I said "should be an automatic goal", and in my prior sentence I said "I'm pretty sure that's an automatic goal or at the very least a high quality scoring chance / shot on net"

The passes are not covered if he puts on the brakes and stops up just slightly, and either way a skilled playmaker would find a pass to make in that situation. Honestly just watch game tape on guys like Dach, Zegras, Krebs and Boldy and see what their decision-making is like when they're in similar positions.

"Most talented player on his team", he certainly hasn't looked that way in the games I watched and he's not on the stat sheet either as he is tied for 7th in scoring on his team (well, really 11th if you count goals as being worth more than assists).

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Actually... You're bang on and have a good understanding of what translates to the pro game.

Reactions: Zaddy

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I said "should be an automatic goal", and in my prior sentence I said "I'm pretty sure that's an automatic goal or at the very least a high quality scoring chance / shot on net"

The passes are not covered if he puts on the brakes and stops up just slightly, and either way a skilled playmaker would find a pass to make in that situation. Honestly just watch game tape on guys like Dach, Zegras, Krebs and Boldy and see what their decision-making is like when they're in similar positions.

"Most talented player on his team", he certainly hasn't looked that way in the games I watched and he's not on the stat sheet either as he is tied for 7th in scoring on his team (well, really 11th if you count goals as being worth more than assists).
He hasn't had the best tournament but that doesn't mean he isn't the most talented player on his team. "pretty sure thats an automatic goal w/ x prospect" is a pretty huge reach. There are tons of plays like that every game and I see plenty of things happen just like it happened on that play. To Sidney Crosby, to Malkin, to Kane. It can happen to anyone.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I'm not sure if there was anything on that 3-on-2, but I definitely think he gets tunnel vision lots. I'd really like to see him keep his head up on those plays and let them develop rather than forcing a play that is not there. He needs to learn to use his teammates better.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

I heavily agree that he played that 3 on 2 poorly, but an automatic goal/high end chance is pushing it. Would have more likely been a decent to good chance. That is a good example of why his stats are underwhelming. Plays where he puts himself in good position to generate chances and goes for the lower percentage play (in that case shooting from the top of the circle) instead of making the right play (passing to the man in the center).

ijuka

May 14, 2016

It's consistent with what I've seen with Podkolzin. I'm not buying him being a high IQ player at all, to me his IQ is decidedly low. I wrote some 2-page poem on a game of his some time ago, similar issues are recurring in most of the games I've seen - he forces impossible plays that obviously have no chance of success and seems to seriously struggle when one play isn't completely obvious and he needs to choose between several presented opportunities.
By what merits is he the most talented player on the team? That's an opinion at best.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I know that one shouldn't focus solely on stats, but that said.

14 games in the VHL this season, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points (0.35 ppg)
12 games in the MHL this season, 6 goals, 2 assists, 8 points (0.66 ppg)
11 games so far in the WJC's (u20&u18) this season, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points (0.27 ppg)
3 games in the KHL this season, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points (0.00 ppg)

= 40 games, 8 goals, 8 assists, 16 points (0.39 ppg)

What are the scouts seeing in him??? potential? sure, but without actual production
what do you do with that supposed potential? answer: nothing.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I know that one shouldn't focus solely on stats, but that said.

14 games in the VHL this season, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points (0.35 ppg)
12 games in the MHL this season, 6 goals, 2 assists, 8 points (0.66 ppg)
11 games so far in the WJC's (u20&u18) this season, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points (0.27 ppg)
3 games in the KHL this season, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points (0.00 ppg)

= 40 games, 8 goals, 8 assists, 16 points (0.39 ppg)

What are the scouts seeing in him??? potential? sure, but without actual production
what do you do with that supposed potential? answer: nothing.
As a stat watcher, that's one of my concerns as well. Even if he was one of the most skilled prospects, at some point, you need to see some production don't you? Especially from a guy you are going to draft in the top 3 or 5. There are guys who look great and create chances, but just can't seem to get on the scoresheet. Maybe he's one of those guys. Or maybe his skillset translates really well and ends up becoming a star. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->