RW/LW Valentin Zykov (2013, 37th, LAK; 2016 trade, CAR; claimed by EDM; claimed by VGK)

arsmaster*

If Shinkaruk hadn't dropped this is the guy I wanted at 24.

Top 6 potential for sure. I thought Edmonton trading out of that spot was incredibly dumb.

Sucks he went to LA. Another Toffoli-esque player in the 2nd.

I thought it was a great pick by the Kings.

member 202355

Surprised he slipped so much. Smart of LA to draft him.

RyWy

May 26, 2011
Michigan
Valentin Zykov (2013 draft, 37th Overall, LA)

Could someone tell me more about him and his game? What's he projected to be in the NHL?
If I remember correctly, he was projected first round but obviously slipped to the Kings in the second round, any reason for the drop?

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
Could someone tell me more about him and his game? What's he projected to be in the NHL?
If I remember correctly, he was projected first round but obviously slipped to the Kings in the second round, any reason for the drop?

I've watched him a handful of times on TV and what stands out to me is how unexpectedly strong he is, how willing he is to drive the net, and how he has such a plus shot. I think if he continues to gain bulk and speed, he'll score at an NHL level.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I think he dropped simly because he's Russian.

I doubt it, I don't think most NHL teams don't have a problem drafting Russians who came to NA to play in the CHL. The obvious commitment is there to be an NHL player. Russians who stay in Russia for juniors are more of a concern.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I've watched him a handful of times on TV and what stands out to me is how unexpectedly strong he is, how willing he is to drive the net, and how he has such a plus shot. I think if he continues to gain bulk and speed, he'll score at an NHL level.

He sounds a little bit like Tarasenko, no?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I see first line upside with Zykov. I had him in my top 20 of my mock draft. Was shocked he actually fell to us and was ecstatic about it. Kid has all the tools to be PERFECT for what the Kings want to do.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
They don't have a problem drafting them. Later.

And if they are good enough they don't have a problem drafting them high. Zykov dropped because he's wasn't worthy of being a top 20 pick based on talent. It had nothing to do with him being from Russia. A good example is Yakupov came to the CHL and went 1st overall. Evgeni Kuznetsov stayed in Russia and fell to 26th. Most would agree Yak and Kuz are similar in talent level.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
For sure, though I don't think he has Vlad's hands.

This.

I agree also with whoever said he's a good fit for LA's system, he's fast strong and aggressive though not as skilled as Tarasenko. He seems like a nice 3rd line winger with 2nd line upside if he continues to develop well. Certainly a nice pick-up where he was drafted.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Valentin Zykov: He'll Steal Your Heart, You'll Thank Him For It

"Some of these kids, you wonder if after they get drafted, they just take a deep breath and stop working," Futa remarked. "This kid was pumped up. He moved to Los Angeles and took his work ethic to another degree the entire summer. He had a great training camp, too, before going back to junior."

Zykov has continued to impress with his more than a point-per-game pace, having already put up 30 points (11 goals, 19 assists) in 24 games this season.

Really great article on a great prospect. Zykov is going to be a STUD for the Kings.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think he dropped simly because he's Russian.

I don't agree, this draft was just so deep with guys who could have been late 1st rounders. Zykov is a good prospect but there were plenty of guys as good or better who were drafted ahead of him. JT Compher was drafted two spots ahead of Zykov and I feel like he had about a late first grade too. I don't think there's much concern with drafting Russians out of the CHL, though perhaps a few GM's feel differently.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think there's much concern with drafting Russians out of the CHL, though perhaps a few GM's feel differently.

Burmistrov and Radulov both came from the CHL. There are many more lesser skilled players who didn't have the patience to earn their spot in the NHL. I don't blame any of them for going home and getting paid, but it has to be a concern for every GM.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Burmistrov and Radulov both came from the CHL. There are many more lesser skilled players who didn't have the patience to earn their spot in the NHL. I don't blame any of them for going home and getting paid, but it has to be a concern for every GM.

I'm not saying there isn't risk, I just don't see GM's being put off by it much. Most guys getting drafted out of the CHL go right about where they should, whereas guys getting drafted directly out of Russia seem to go much lower than they should. That says to me that GM's are far more concerned with the "Russian factor" as it applies to guys who haven't come over to the CHL.

I agree with you, I have no problem with guys staying overseas. I find it irritating when people question a guy's character for staying in his homeland and earning solid money with solid ice time, like there's something wrong with that.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
There are definitely a few GMs who are explicitly anti-Russian (as far as drafting goes). I read a scout say that recently

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
really like what I've seen from him this year. Very good on a 2-way line with Girard for the bulk of the year. Now playing with Hudon as well. Very good at cycling the puck down low and make other teams' top line work in their own end. Good hands around the net. Didn't show much at the WJC however. Still remains to be seen if he can bring a consistent offensive game but I think he can become a good 2-way guy down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad