RW/LW Valentin Zykov (2013, 37th, LAK; 2016 trade, CAR; claimed by EDM; claimed by VGK)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Zykov is a player if you watch him you will not come away impressed if your looking for a guy who will stand out and control the game.......his game is very effective and most of his points come as quiet points that sometimes you do not realize until the game is done.....for scouts he is a great player because he is super smart, moves very very well without the puck, has soft hands in tight, he has a great shot and is able to score by a very hard and accurate wrist shot or slap shot he also has deadly hands in close to the net as well and he does well getting rebounds, the puck seems to follow him down low which comes to his hockey sense, he is strong down low and does very well grinding it out on the boards, he has excellent puck protection and displays good work in his own zone as well....he is not the type of player to carry the puck down the ice and score highlight reel goals he just works the puck down passing and moving into open ice...very effective player, going to be very good, I think in the NHL he has 30 goal and 60 point potential while being an effective two way leader.

arsmaster*

Zykov is a player if you watch him you will not come away impressed if your looking for a guy who will stand out and control the game.......his game is very effective and most of his points come as quiet points that sometimes you do not realize until the game is done.....for scouts he is a great player because he is super smart, moves very very well without the puck, has soft hands in tight, he has a great shot and is able to score by a very hard and accurate wrist shot or slap shot he also has deadly hands in close to the net as well and he does well getting rebounds, the puck seems to follow him down low which comes to his hockey sense, he is strong down low and does very well grinding it out on the boards, he has excellent puck protection and displays good work in his own zone as well....he is not the type of player to carry the puck down the ice and score highlight reel goals he just works the puck down passing and moving into open ice...very effective player, going to be very good, I think in the NHL he has 30 goal and 60 point potential while being an effective two way leader.

Really good assessment.

How would you compare him to Erne?

I'm hoping one of the two is available at 24 for Vancouver and I'd sure like a Q league based opinion.

Cheers.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Really good assessment.

How would you compare him to Erne?

I'm hoping one of the two is available at 24 for Vancouver and I'd sure like a Q league based opinion.

Cheers.

they are different players, Erne is a puck rusher down the ice using his speed and puck handling ability to get the puck down the end, Erne is strong too but not as power forward as Zykov is...Erne has a good shot as well, he is a better playmaker......Zykov is not as flashy as Erne, his skating is not as Dynamic, Zykov is smarter than Erne and has better goal scoring IQ than Erne, Zykov also moves better without the puck than Erne and is stronger standing ground in front of the net and along the boards.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Where do you think he is likely to go? Think he could find himself in the 8-14 range come draft day?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Scored 40 goals and was a rookie of the year in junior? Projects as a power forward with good hands? Reading through the comments in this thread reminded me of Evgeny Grachev. Is that a fair comparison, or maybe more of a grounded expectation for Zykov?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Scored 40 goals and was a rookie of the year in junior? Projects as a power forward with good hands? Reading through the comments in this thread reminded me of Evgeny Grachev. Is that a fair comparison, or maybe more of a grounded expectation for Zykov?

Grachev was 19 when he did this. Zykov is 17.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure if he is defensively strong enough, but perhaps Kulemin is a good comparison for him.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Remember Button's lists are not were he thinks they will be drafted but were he thinks they will be ranked 5 years from now...so he thinks Zykov is 37th in future potential but my be a 1st round player right now

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
As a Kings fan reading these posts I think Zykov fits in well with the Kings system. Thanks to all of you that saw him in person or in other ways that posted your opinion here. Definitely gives us all some good insight on this kid.

Really happy that Lombardi and his scouts are active in the draft and are willing to trade lower picks to move up when they like a player.

Fearless Leaf*

Great great pick by Kings. Zykov to me is or should have been a 1st rounder in the range of 15th-20th.

I have caught few of his highlights and I came away with the impression of Kulemin with solid offensive potential.

Kings fans will love him and I think he can be a serious top 6 threat down the road.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Great great pick by Kings. Zykov to me is or should have been a 1st rounder in the range of 15th-20th.

I have caught few of his highlights and I came away with the impression of Kulemin with solid offensive potential.

Kings fans will love him and I think he can be a serious top 6 threat down the road.

Agreed I was hoping GMMG was going to trade for a second round pick haha great pick for L.A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad