RW/LW Valentin Zykov (2013, 37th, LAK; 2016 trade, CAR; claimed by EDM; claimed by VGK)

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
My read on him is that he's a strong skater in the sense that it is hard to knock him off the puck and he keeps his feet moving. That said, his first few steps need to improve and as mentioned, his stride is a bit odd, the hunched over skating style.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This guy needs more love. He's a steal outside of the top-20 as far as I'm concerned. Big, strong, fast, really wants the puck on his stick and great shooting abilities/nose for the net. He will be a scorer in the bigs... VERY soon.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
The guy crossed the pond at 17 to play in fricking Baie-Comeau (north of Quebec). He doesn't represent that big of a risk.

Agreed. A lot of kids who are from Quebec don't want to play for BC, it shows a lot that Zykov would come over to play there. If the Oilers can trade up to get him I would be all for it.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Drakkar reaches the finals, might see him at the mem cup if they can somehow upset Halifax.

BAC_ZykovValentin_Tropee_Michel_Bergeron0216.JPG

1351642914726_ORIGINAL.jpg

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Goal and assist and +3 in BC's 4-3 loss today. Over a ppg in playoffs too. I think this guy could go top 10.

SchennSational1022*

Supposedly Flyers love him. Wouldnt be surprised to see us draft ANOTHER forward...

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Big season for Zykov continues well beyond his last game. The 18-year-old was named the CHL's BMO Rookie of the Year:

Valentin Zykov‘s impressive rookie season in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League didn’t go unnoticed by scouts.

The 18-year-old couldn’t slip by the Canadian Hockey League, either.

Zykov was named BMO Rookie of the Year on Saturday after leading all first-year players in scoring with 40 goals and 75 points in 67 games for the Baie-Comeau Drakkar this season.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/zykov-scores-chl-rookie-of-the-year-award/

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Surprised how little hype he's been getting. He's known as a super hard worker, hard to knock off the puck, has NHL size already and put up very good numbers. As a Sabres fan, I would certainly want him if he's there at 16.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
How much of a 'Russian Factor' do people think Zykov has? Does he seem dedicated to making the NHL or is it likely he'll end up in the KHL in a year or 2?

He seems like a really interesting prospect for the Sens to look at @17 but Bryan Murray usually stays away from Russians.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
How much of a 'Russian Factor' do people think Zykov has? Does he seem dedicated to making the NHL or is it likely he'll end up in the KHL in a year or 2?

He seems like a really interesting prospect for the Sens to look at @17 but Bryan Murray usually stays away from Russians.

It's already been said but it doesn't seem like it's that much of a factor if was willing to move to a smallish city in Canada to go play. He's also worked hard to learn some English and French.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
It's already been said but it doesn't seem like it's that much of a factor if was willing to move to a smallish city in Canada to go play. He's also worked hard to learn some English and French.

Awesome.

I hope Murray doesn't just completely ignore him because he's Russian. Seems like a great fit with the Sens.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Perfect fit for the NYI. Exactly what we need. We could trade out of our spot gain an additional pick and still land him. Get it done Snow!!!
Then trade 2014 1st + B level prospects for Bernier

If he's the guy they want I'd prefer they just take him at 15 instead of getting cute and moving down a few spots for an extra 3rd. He's exactly what we need. A potential top-end forward to give us some depth up front once Nino, Nelson and Strome make the jump.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
If he's the guy they want I'd prefer they just take him at 15 instead of getting cute and moving down a few spots for an extra 3rd. He's exactly what we need. A potential top-end forward to give us some depth up front once Nino, Nelson and Strome make the jump.

I agree with you absolutely but I saw some drafts where he was going in the 20s. No need to get cute. Stay at thAt spot and take him.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I agree with you absolutely but I saw some drafts where he was going in the 20s. No need to get cute. Stay at thAt spot and take him.

I just don't see him lasting into the 20's, and IMO I don't think we could get a 2nd without moving down more than 5 or 6 spots. So yeah, I don't think the risk of moving down would be worth it if we're only getting a 3rd or a 2014 pick back in return.

He is definitely my top choice though, assuming none of the big prospects drop(Lindholm, Monahan, Shinkaruk). Even if Ristolainen drops, I think I'd still take Zykov. He'd help us remain in the top-10 even after all the graduates next year, and if someone busts he could develop into a nice backup plan for Tavares' wing.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Perfect fit for the NYI. Exactly what we need. We could trade out of our spot gain an additional pick and still land him. Get it done Snow!!!
Then trade 2014 1st + B level prospects for Bernier

He might be gone by #15. He may be getting no love from HF because of where he plays, but like the excerpt above states, the scouts are definitely noticing him.

As for him being exactly what the NYI need, drafting isn't about need. I do love his skill set and his work ethic though.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
What's a good comparison for Zykov? I heard he's not a great skater. I've only seen him a couple times but it looked alright to me. Can anyone give me maybe a small break down of strength's and weaknesses?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What's a good comparison for Zykov? I heard he's not a great skater. I've only seen him a couple times but it looked alright to me. Can anyone give me maybe a small break down of strength's and weaknesses?

I think the issue with his skating is his first few steps. Once he gets to top speed he's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad