RW/LW Valentin Zykov (2013, 37th, LAK; 2016 trade, CAR; claimed by EDM; claimed by VGK)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yet another 2013 prospect performing well in the Q. 76th overall in the CHL Import draft and he has taken the Q by storm this season.

We're talking about a pretty complete player that has constantly been the Drakkar's best player since the start of the year. 6'1 210lbs, great skater, always putting his nose in the dirty areas.

13 GP 9-6-15

Zykov thrives by being an intense player with a decent pair of hands and great wheels. He just goes in at full speed, crashes the net and looks for rebounds. He isn't afraid to go along the boards to dig out pucks and can make a number of different plays in the offensive zone. He will also backcheck hard in order to help out his defenders.

If he keeps progressing, I can see a team taking a flyer on him in the 3rd or 4th round. As I said, he's a pretty complete guy that has a lot of interesting tools. Offensive russian with great size, sweet hands and a willingness to go into traffic.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
He's a guy I don't feel comfortable projecting just yet. 3rd or 4th round might be conservative, actually. Central Scouting upgraded him to an A prospect, which means top-45ish. Plays such a NA game for someone who only has 12-13 games on this continent.

If he keeps it up, who knows how high he can rise.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Another great game for Zykov, 2+1 vs Chicoutumi and totally 11+9 in 16 games.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Just saw that Zykov is ranked third amongst draft eligible QMJHL prospects. How does his skillset compare to guys like Erne, Duclair, Gauthier, etc? He is currently ranked ahead of those guys.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Just saw that Zykov is ranked third amongst draft eligible QMJHL prospects. How does his skillset compare to guys like Erne, Duclair, Gauthier, etc? He is currently ranked ahead of those guys.

He shouldn't be ranked higher than Erne, Carrier, Gauthier, Mantha and Duclair but he's a really good prospect.

Last edited:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
His board works is excellent!! I really liked what I saw from him. Not sure about his overall offensive upside at the next level, but seems to be a warrior, he has great drive.

He remind me a little of Martins Karsums, well, a little bigger, and with a little more hands. Does anybody see this too?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Not much talk about this kid but he is lighting it up lately, 26 pts in last 12 games. Looks like he has a well rounded game overall. What is holding him back in the rankings? Does his offense translate to the pros?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Not much talk about this kid but he is lighting it up lately, 26 pts in last 12 games. Looks like he has a well rounded game overall. What is holding him back in the rankings? Does his offense translate to the pros?

Needs to improve his skating, plays in a market where not a lot of people see him, not a lot of hype for him. He's well deserving of the ranking he got from Central Scouting (8th among North American skaters) and ISS (16th overall). Not sure what you mean by what's holding him back in the rankings.

He plays a very North American friendly game which is part of what attracted him to come to Canada for his draft year and also had a lot to do with his ability to adjust quickly and start contributing right away. Uses his frame well to fight through traffic and get to the spots needed to make plays.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You list one of his strengths as "remarkable skating" but then say he needs to work on his skating

Yeah, I'm really confused on that. If he is a "remarkable skater", then I'm all over this guy. If not, not as excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad