RW/LW Nikita A. Popugaev - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2017, 98th, NJD)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A late '98 birthday, Nikita A. Popugayev is a top prospect for the 2017 draft. He just committed to Moose Jaw for the upcoming season.

http://www.mjwarriors.ca/article/popugaev-set-to-join-warriors

Popugaev, 6’4 195lbs, is from Moscow, Russia and was selected by the Warriors with the 22nd overall pick in the 2015 CHL Import Draft. Playing last season with CSKA Moscow U17, Popugaev had 19 goals, 22 assists, and 41 points in 24 games. Popugaev took part in the 2015 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge with Team Russia, he scored three goals in six games and captured a gold medal.

His EP profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312680

Anyone have more info on this kid?

Last edited:

FTO

Sep 10, 2006
Edmonton
A late '98 birthday, Nikita A. Popugayev is a top prospect for the 2017 draft. He just committed to Moose Jaw for the upcoming season.

http://www.mjwarriors.ca/article/popugaev-set-to-join-warriors

His EP profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312680

Anyone have more info on this kid?

That stat line seems pretty impressive although i'm not too familiar with the league and what constitutes a great season there, but holy crap he's huge for a sixteen year old.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Interesting that there are two '98 born Nikita Popugayev's, both forwards, both from the CSKA system and both considered legit prospects. This is going to get confusing!

Nikita A. Popugayev who is headed to Moose Jaw is apparently considered a big prospect...both literally and figuratively. He is listed at 16th overall on ISS's 2017 Top 30 - the top ranked Russian. I've also seen some Russian posters here be really high on his potential...seems like a stud prospect and a fantastic get by Moose Jaw. His November birthdate puts him in the 2017 draft class.

Nikita O. Popugayev is in stature, basically the opposite...5'-8" as opposed to 6'-4". His U17 league, MHL and tournament stats are every bit as impressive as his physically bigger namesake. He also was one of the leading forwards for Russia (for any team for that matter) in the recent Ivan Hlinka tournament. His June birthdate puts him in the 2016 draft class.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Kid seems to be getting high praise around Twitter from some people....any opinions? Haven't seen him at all.

@draftbuzzhockey: People will soon entertain Russian import Nikita #Popugaev taking Nolan Patrick's 2017 NHL Draft throne.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
2 goals, 4 points tonight. Playing on Braden Point's wing, Nikita might have a very productive season.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Has a good combination of size and hands. Didn't really stick out too much in the game I watched vs Regina, but I'll be watching him more closely. It certainly helps that he's playing with one of the dubs premier talents.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Just to think about it: this kid is 6'4" and 200 lbs and still he managed to win the fastest skater contest at the KHL pre-draft show this spring. This kind of combination of size and skating makes me pretty excited about him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
1+1 in a 4-3 loss to the Oil Kings. 8 points in 5 games, good start. Kid can really skate, has me intruiged for sure.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
How is his quickness, acceleration? The last time I saw him his top end speed was awesome, but it took him a while to reach it. Plus his skating looked a bit wobbly and uncoordinated overall.
But I suppose that's to be expected for a 6'4" 16 year old.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
2 goals 1 assist in a 4:З win. 5 goals 6 assists in 6 games.
I know nothing about the guy. Any info about how he plays and what player he can be compared to?

Last edited:

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
I've been able to watch him a little bit in MJ this year, although I haven't been to as many games as I'd like due to work. He reminds me a lot of an Evgeni Malkin on the high end. He has a real good shot, has a nose for goal(although I'm sure playing with Brayden Point helps), and he doesn't have incredible accel but that's not for lack of trying. His work ethic is good from what I've seen. The only problem is that he also shows some resemblance to a Nik Antropov as well. Only time will tell how he shapes up but things look pretty darn good for the kid. Through 12 games he has a 6-8-14 stat line. PPG pace in the WHL as a 16 year old isn't too bad. It was also a bit of a whirlwind for the kid coming over so I'm sure he's still adjusting, here's hoping.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He reminds me a lot more of Nash than Malkin/Antropov, but I get what you mean in terms of consistency.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
He reminds me a lot more of Nash than Malkin/Antropov, but I get what you mean in terms of consistency.

I agree with that comparison. He has a deceiving amount of speed. You don't notice how fast he's going until he has reached top speed. Still can't say enough about his shot though. Tremendous for a 16 year old.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kid has excellent hands and is a great passer and has good release on his shot. I'm hoping he can have a solid campaign next year as Point will be playing in pro. In the preseason games I saw him without Point he still looked really good. If he keeps up this kind of pace without Point he will go top 10 in the draft next year, especially with his size.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Kid has excellent hands and is a great passer and has good release on his shot. I'm hoping he can have a solid campaign next year as Point will be playing in pro. In the preseason games I saw him without Point he still looked really good. If he keeps up this kind of pace without Point he will go top 10 in the draft next year, especially with his size.

Some early mock drafts had him around 20 without him ever even playing in NA. I can definitely see strong play over the next two seasons vaulting him into the top 10.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So how this guy is looking lately?

Good! Excellent big bodied skater that oozes NHL level talent. Easily the best player on the ice some nights. Depending on how next year goes and whether he makes Team Russia for the next WJC he could really separate himself from some of the competition in his draft year. At this point I think he will be a top 10 pick for sure.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Been able to watch Popugayev lately. His best attribute currently is his ability to control the puck. The Russian style of play throughout their minor and junior hockey careers is to hang onto the puck as much as you can. Personally I consider it more effective and better style of hockey compared to the north/south Northern American style. And Nikita is a perfect example of a player that has superb puck control ability and makes plays to keep the puck. I don't think he's a puck hog, but because he anticipates the play well and is a very strong puck possession player, he's normally open for passes (and is one of the best zone entry players on Moose Jaw). As well as this, he has awesome hands and smooth skating for a player this big (he looks huge out there live). Very good passer and has a good amount of vision as well.

I don't think he has played amazingly, but really consistent in style. I think he could use his size more, not in terms of powerforward physicality, but going more to dirty areas and shielding the puck better. He's still a bit of a perimeter player for me. I don't think his shot is amazing either, it's got a good release, but nothing heavy or fast. Good player though and someone who I would consider as a middle to late first round in the range of 17th to 25th currently IMO.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Been able to watch Popugayev lately. His best attribute currently is his ability to control the puck. The Russian style of play throughout their minor and junior hockey careers is to hang onto the puck as much as you can. Personally I consider it more effective and better style of hockey compared to the north/south Northern American style. And Nikita is a perfect example of a player that has superb puck control ability and makes plays to keep the puck. I don't think he's a puck hog, but because he anticipates the play well and is a very strong puck possession player, he's normally open for passes (and is one of the best zone entry players on Moose Jaw). As well as this, he has awesome hands and smooth skating for a player this big (he looks huge out there live). Very good passer and has a good amount of vision as well.

I don't think he has played amazingly, but really consistent in style. I think he could use his size more, not in terms of powerforward physicality, but going more to dirty areas and shielding the puck better. He's still a bit of a perimeter player for me. I don't think his shot is amazing either, it's good a good release, but nothing heavy or fast. Good player though and someone who I would consider as a middle to late first round in the range of 17th to 25th now IMO.

Sounds like Grigorenko (the new and improved Avs version).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad