RW/LW Lucas Raymond - Frolunda HC, SWE JRs (2020, 4th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
I watched some games from the 15/16 season (his U14 season) and noticed that he was a center in all those games (U16 Div. 1). I wonder if he's actually a center, but just played wing in J18 Elit/Allsvenskan where the competition is at a higher level. Does anyone know? Very interesting player nonetheless.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I watched some games from the 15/16 season (his U14 season) and noticed that he was a center in all those games (U16 Div. 1). I wonder if he's actually a center, but just played wing in J18 Elit/Allsvenskan where the competition is at a higher level. Does anyone know? Very interesting player nonetheless.

I am pretty sure he did play quite a few games at center for the J18 team, but mostly wing in U16. It's usually the other way around for younger players. Raymond will be a fun one to follow, he's got the same type of wow-factor that William Nylander had at the same age.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
He definitely have been heating up lately after a somewhat slow start. Now sitting at 2PPG in J18 Elite after 11 games. Anybody seen him play lately? And do the 175 cm / 70 kg measurements he is listed as at Eliteprospects seem correct?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He definitely have been heating up lately after a somewhat slow start. Now sitting at 2PPG in J18 Elite after 11 games. Anybody seen him play lately? And do the 175 cm / 70 kg measurements he is listed as at Eliteprospects seem correct?

Saw him a couple of weeks ago. Looked good. I do think he's bigger than listed but not by a lot. My rough estimate would have him at 5'10 (178cm). Not sure about weight, might've gained a little.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Haven't seen him much in J18 but his stats look pretty great, should be noted that he's playing on a powerhouse team much like Holtz. Did see him at the regional national team camp though, he was ahead of the rest by quite a bit there and should tear up TV-pucken this upcoming weekend.

I think those measurements are from last season and he might have grown a couple of cm.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Swedish 2020 Draft Wonderkids:

Noel Gunler: 13 Points, 17 GP (SuperElit)
Alexander Holtz: 33 Points in 12 GP (J18 Elit), 1 Point in 1 GP (SuperElit)
Lucas Raymond: 23 Points in 14 GP (J18 Elit), 0 Points in 3 GP (SuperElit)

Even though they are the same NHL draft year, I'm assuming the fact that Gunler is an October 2001 birthdate has much to do with the level difference? We've heard all about Holtz and I would assume he's #1 with a bullet but what about Gunler's potential versus Raymond? Gunler went pointless at the U17 but was the youngest player on the roster (with Juhlin) and already has excellent size and his SuperElit numbers aren't far off from Grewe's who is in the 2019 draft.

How would you rank the 3 of them?

Last edited:

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden

Even though they are the same NHL draft year, I'm assuming the fact that Gunler is an October 2001 birthdate has much to do with the level difference? We've heard all about Holtz and I would assume he's #1 with a bullet but what about Gunler's potential versus Raymond? Gunler went pointless at the U17 but was the youngest player on the roster (with Juhlin) and already has excellent size and his SuperElit numbers aren't far off from Grewe's who is in the 2019 draft.

Holtz > Raymond > Gunler

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Like the above poster. Theodor Niederbach might be more promising than all of them though.

Reactions: rickardr

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can see the Willy Nylander comps.

Scored today against the USA playing against players a year older than him. Really good skater, and he was very noticeable all match.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I can see the Willy Nylander comps.

Scored today against the USA playing against players a year older than him. Really good skater, and he was very noticeable all match.

Agree. Probably the most dangerous Swedish forward so far. Scored a nice goal against the Czechs yesterday to tie the game (2nd goal in the video).

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
10 (3+7) points in his last three games in J18 Allsvenskan. Incredible skating and playmaking on some of those assists.

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016
How does he stand against Holtz?

In my opinion, Raymond has many better skills and is a better two way player. But Holtz is more powerful, physically stronger and is a great sniper. Obviously developed early for his age. Both are really nice guys.
I will say, they are both extremely talented but with a little different character. Both will go early in the draft for sure, where Holtz today has a small advantage between them. But I think Raymond has a greater development potential with his skating, nice hands, high hockey-IQ and hard working both ways.
With more physical development, he will be...:golfnana:

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
In my opinion, Raymond has many better skills and is a better two way player. But Holtz is more powerful, physically stronger and is a great sniper. Obviously developed early for his age. Both are really nice guys.
I will say, they are both extremely talented but with a little different character. Both will go early in the draft for sure, where Holtz today has a small advantage between them. But I think Raymond has a greater development potential with his skating, nice hands, high hockey-IQ and hard working both ways.
With more physical development, he will be...:golfnana:

I have seen Holtz a lot and no matter if he plays J20, J18, U16, national team, wherever.. Teammates love him and he shows a great attitude. What I've seen from Raymond and heard from others who follow him more closely is that there is a bit more of a 'star attitude' there with his energy and body language when things don't go his way.

Could just be a maturity thing and go away but you rarely hear these things around the players who go on to challenge for top-5 overall and become stars.

Raymond is an elite talent for sure and will be very interesting to see him and Holtz go head to head in the same competition (J20 SuperElit) where the opposing teams are of similar quality nationwide. Seems like both should be top players on their teams already and I'll be surprised if they don't both make their SHL debuts this year.

Reactions: VictorLustig

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Meh, it's not that rare. Take Patrik Laine for instance. He's young and that's not an issue. If teams consider it an issue, whoever doesn't will get a steal.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I have seen Holtz a lot and no matter if he plays J20, J18, U16, national team, wherever.. Teammates love him and he shows a great attitude. What I've seen from Raymond and heard from others who follow him more closely is that there is a bit more of a 'star attitude' there with his energy and body language when things don't go his way.

Could just be a maturity thing and go away but you rarely hear these things around the players who go on to challenge for top-5 overall and become stars.

Raymond is an elite talent for sure and will be very interesting to see him and Holtz go head to head in the same competition (J20 SuperElit) where the opposing teams are of similar quality nationwide. Seems like both should be top players on their teams already and I'll be surprised if they don't both make their SHL debuts this year.

That's also the impression I have gotten from watching Raymond play. The bad body language and unwillingness to share the puck was on full display at TV-pucken. It has not been an issue in international tournaments though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad