RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Would it be more beneficial for Kostin to go back to Russia?

Kostin seems to really be struggling this year in the AHL. He is a team worst -26 and is on pace to have less points than last year. When he was drafted he insisted on coming over and playing in the AHL, but this seems like a pretty terrible situation for a young foreign player to be in. Maybe now, if he agrees to, it would be better for him to go back to the KHL and be surrounded by other Russian players and most importantly coaches to see if that will help turn his development around. Does anyone think this could work or is it too risky and maybe we lose him forever?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
he is still only 19 years old playing against men.
when he played at the world juniors he did well.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
hes 19 playing on a team that was absolutely dominated to start the season and nobody played well.

i think next year will be more telling, this is good experience

plus hes bonding with the younger group of players who are slowly moving up together (blais, mac and dunn (also schmaltz)) who are a tight knit group

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I wonder where he would have played and where he'd be right now development-wise if he hadn't insisted on going straight to the AHL.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I wonder where he would have played and where he'd be right now development-wise if he hadn't insisted on going straight to the AHL.

I am not sure it is very productive to speculate about those kind of things. We can't jump into the time machine go back two years and try again. And without doing that there is no way of knowing how it would turn out - same, better, or worse.

Unless you have some specific thoughts as to why he would have done better. For example, coach of the Rampage could have been an idiot. That's obviously not true, but you would have to come with a similar explanation why it wasn't a good choice for him. Your disappointment with his AHL production to date isn't in itself a reason enough to think he would have done better in Russia.

By the way, for what it's worth, I thought he looked good at WJC. Strong as an ox, seems to be developing as a power forward. Certainly not a Kuznetsov or a Tarasenko, but maybe a Backes.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I am not sure it is very productive to speculate about those kind of things. We can't jump into the time machine go back two years and try again. And without doing that there is no way of knowing how it would turn out - same, better, or worse.

Unless you have some specific thoughts as to why he would have done better. For example, coach of the Rampage could have been an idiot. That's obviously not true, but you would have to come with a similar explanation why it wasn't a good choice for him. Your disappointment with his AHL production to date isn't in itself a reason enough to think he would have done better in Russia.

By the way, for what it's worth, I thought he looked good at WJC. Strong as an ox, seems to be developing as a power forward. Certainly not a Kuznetsov or a Tarasenko, but maybe a Backes.
Maybe taking a Russian 18 year-old and putting them in San Antonio makes life a bit harder for them. I'm not saying he's a bust just thinking that maybe this isn't the best situation for his development.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

In the CHL still in the AHL or splitting between MHL, VHL, KHL. Imo if he played juniors last season then went to the AHL this year he'd be producing more , would have gave him some goalscoring confidence. The other side is next season he'll be going into his third pro season whereas most other prospects his age will be entering their first.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Not the year a lot of Blues fans were hoping for. Next year will be very telling. Appears to be the kind of player who has the tools but who just needs to put them all together.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not the year a lot of Blues fans were hoping for. Next year will be very telling. Appears to be the kind of player who has the tools but who just needs to put them all together.
That was always the story with him, wasn't it?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Yes next season will say alot especially since prospects of his birth year will then be AHL eligible.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

I’ll take two teenage years in the AHL instead of stat padding in juniors. Played well on top line at the WJC.

Disappointing is the last thing Blues fans should be over Kostin’s development.

Patience.

Reactions: Burkeocet

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
3G, 3A in 3 games this preseason - making it difficult on Blues management to send him down.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He’s also been very good away from the puck positionally and doing some of the little things right he wasn’t before which shows a buy in and understanding of the NA style of hockey. (Goin low to high more, flooding as the weakside wing on breakouts)

Extremely excited for Klim. Doubt he’s up full time this year tho.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It is crazy that this is his 3rd season in the AHL and he is still only 20 years old.

I hope he gets a few call ups this season. VERY curious to see how he does

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad