RW Lauri Pajuniemi - TPS Turku, Liiga (2018, 132nd, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He now has 7 points in 24 games. Had 7 points in 32 games last season. He also barely plays. Only 12:30 per game, so he's scoring some points in limited minutes. I think he should've made the WJC team, but it seems to be working well for him not making that team.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He now has 7 points in 24 games. Had 7 points in 32 games last season. He also barely plays. Only 12:30 per game, so he's scoring some points in limited minutes. I think he should've made the WJC team, but it seems to be working well for him not making that team.
He sure should've made it. I don't think he was even an option when he didn't made it to the camp..

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's occupying Kakko's lineup spot. The question is whether they'll keep him in the top 9 when Kakko returns with someone else moving down or if he moves down again.

I think he's having a pretty good season, despite the slow start, injury and not making the WJC team. The issue is that he's not getting much of a chance to showcase himself due to lack of opportunity. The few opportunities he's gotten for Finland or TPS since being drafted, he's done well.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
He's occupying Kakko's lineup spot. The question is whether they'll keep him in the top 9 when Kakko returns with someone else moving down or if he moves down again.

I think he's having a pretty good season, despite the slow start, injury and not making the WJC team. The issue is that he's not getting much of a chance to showcase himself due to lack of opportunity. The few opportunities he's gotten for Finland or TPS since being drafted, he's done well.

Doesnt help that they signed Palmu, who is another guy ahead of him on the depth chart.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Up to 10 points in 31 games after points in back to back games. Last season he had 7 points in 32 games. He also has a ridiculously low 4% shooting percentage, so if that was anywhere near a normal number, he might be near .5PPG. He's also playing low minutes, 13:04 per game, so he's been productive in the minutes he gets.

He's only barely in his second season since being draft eligible for the first time. He was 4 days from being draft eligible for the first time in 2018, so he's one of the younger 2017 draft eligibles, and is developing pretty well, if you take that perspective. If you consider him a 2018 draft eligible, and he's actually closer in age to most of those players than most 2017 draft eligibles, he's having a very good season for a 5th round pick.

JoukoPouko

The issue with Pajuniemi isn't really that he's stuck behind some studs, it's just that he needs to play better. There are maybe 5 or 6 forwards on TPS who are clearly better but after that, the guys who are currently ahead of him are not that good. They have a guy like Markus Nurmi playing a top-six role at the moment, and he's not that talented offensively (but has other good qualities). So if Pajuniemi had played better, he could be getting a top-six role. Hopefully he has a big summer and earns a bigger role next season - TPS is likely losing Kakko and Palve to North America, so that's two more top-six spots opening up.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Palve anything but a 1 season gap filler for a NHL team like Ottawa?

It’s not like he put up numbers like Bud Holloway did.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He needs to start being one of the better players on his team, if he’s going to have much of a chance to reach the NHL. He’s going to be 20 years old near the start of the season in a pretty average league. I think this was a good upside pick, but he was underplayed last season. Does he figure to have a consistent top 9 role this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad