RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
As much as I love Rantanen, I disagree with you on this. Barkov is still a tier or two ahead. Regarding to your last couple of messages: I can't see how can you be disappointed in Barkov? He was never drafted to be an offensive juggernaut. He is still producing at almost PPG pace and is one of the best 2way players in the world (I would argue he should be a selke finalist with Bergeron).
I gave my reasons for not seeing Barkov as good as many others seem to see. Mental softness (constantly getting crushed in the biggest games all his career so far) and also not really contributing as well in straightforwardly preventing opponents from scoring, as a selke finalist should be. These things are undeniable facts that cast quite a shadow over him as a player. At least this is how it is for me. Having pure skill is of course very nice, but for me it’s not even close to enough, if the player is lacking at the same time on the mental toughness. You just can’t be a real top class player without mental toughness and the right kind of a killer instinct.

Last edited:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I gave my reasons for not seeing Barkov as good as many others seem to see. Mental softness (constantly getting crushed in the biggest games all his career so far) and also not really contributing as well in straightforwardly preventing opponents from scoring, as a selke finalist should be. These things are undeniable facts that cast quite a shadow over him as a player. At least this is how it is for me. Having pure skill is of course very nice, but for me it’s not even close to enough, if the player is lacking at the same time on the mental toughness. You just can’t just be a real top class player without mental toughness and the right kind of a killer instinct.
Don't you think it's quite early to judge him as "mentally soft"? He has played 1 playoff series in the NHL and he was 20 years old in that playing as a 1c. The whole Panthers team didn't show up. "He has no killer instinct", what does that mean? He can't clucth the games by scoring goals in the final minutes? He wins games by shutting down the opponent's PPs much earlier and playing constantly great hockey throughout. Besides that, he has won plenty of games for the Panthers by his ice cold shootout finishes... that kinda goes against your claimed mental weakness he supposedly possesses.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Barkov is still very young and has played one playoff series in the NHL. I would wait before calling him mentally weak. I could see that killer instinct thing though, but I would wait on that a bit longer. He after all has been the best prospect from Finland, including Laine.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Don't you think it's quite early to judge him as "mentally soft"? He has played 1 playoff series in the NHL and he was 20 years old in that playing as a 1c. The whole Panthers team didn't show up. "He has no killer instinct", what does that mean? He can't clucth the games by scoring goals in the final minutes? He wins games by shutting down the opponent's PPs much earlier and playing constantly great hockey throughout. Besides that, he has won plenty of games for the Panthers by his ice cold shootout finishes... that kinda goes against your claimed mental weakness he supposedly possesses.
Don't worry, last year he thought that Rantanen was a 3rd liner at best. Barkov is elite defensively and claiming something else means you don't watch him or don't understand hockey.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Anyways, back to Kakko: he trained in Rautala's group in the summer. Took huge steps for this season and I think that is a primary reason for it. Hope they don't overblow it from now on and make him lose a step.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Barkov is still very young and has played one playoff series in the NHL. I would wait before calling him mentally weak. I could see that killer instinct thing though, but I would wait on that a bit longer. He after all has been the best prospect from Finland, including Laine.
This is a very good way to answer to someone when you disagree with them. Thanks for a good attitude and good manners!

Last edited:
Reactions: FinPanda

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Don't worry, last year he thought that Rantanen was a 3rd liner at best. Barkov is elite defensively and claiming something else means you don't watch him or don't understand hockey.
And this is how you shouldn’t do it. Provocative attacking of the other poster.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
And this was also a good way to answer. I might not agree with everything here, but still well made points and a good attitude to the debate.

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don’t mean just clutching games in the last minutes, although even that is part of being mentally tough and having a killer instinct. But what I mean still more is how the player can rise his compete level for the most important and biggest games in such way that he can substantially help his team and his line with his own personal play and effort. If you lose with your own game and with your own line and can’t really contribute with solid production in these most important and crucial games, then it usually has to do with lacking the mental strength that helps you raise your compete level that is usually needed in these really important big games. This is because the best teams always have these kind of mentally strong and still very skillful players, so if you are very skillful as Barkov, but seriously lack the mental strength, then you will get seriously exposed in these very important decisive games, as the other player’s compete level just simply exceeds your compete level. And as they have at least the same skill level, but the mental strength and killer instinct, you will get completely trashed in the biggest games, which is what has constantly happened to Barkov.

I don’t really have otherwise anything against the dude. He is damn skillful in so many ways. Although as I said, I don’t also see him as good in defensive play as some claim him to be. He is definitely good defensively, just not top Selke class in my opinion, because he gets still way too often scored against in 5 on 5 hockey. Not too badly, but still that often, that to me Selke talks are a clear overestimation of his general defensive play. His takeaways are for sure though pure magic. But for me the takeaways are still not even close to the most important part of good defence, because they still happen that rarely, and anyway they don’t by themselves lead into keeping the opponent enough off the scoresheet. And so far Barkov hasn’t been able to keep the opponents well enough off the scoresheet in 5 on 5 hockey.

But that I do admit though, guys, that he is still that young that many things might still change and develop in his play. But also it is good to remember that even despite being young, he is already becoming an NHL veteran when looking at the amount of seasons that he has played. So it might also be that his development is not anymore huge, as he has already gained a lot of experience, and gained probably the most of the skill development that can be achieved through pure experience gaining. Sure he might still develop in other aspects and in that aspect too, but to expect really huge development in that sense might be a bit unrealistic too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kakko at 16-17y old: A-juniors 32games 47 points, 3 games 1 point in Liiga.
Laine at 16-17: Played in Leki+was injured, but year before scored 37 in 40 in A. Was dominant in U18. Next year we all remember.
Barkov at 16: A-juniors 5 games 5 points, 32games 16points in Liiga.
Rantanen at 16: A-juniors 35 games 24points,, 15 2+1=3 in Liiga.
Puljujrvi at 16-17: A-juniors 11 games 18 points, Liiga 21 games 11 points.
Aho at 16: 44games 59 points in A-juniors, 3 games 1 point in Liiga.

Kakko could very well belong in this group.

Thanks for this. Agreed, there's just noway to ignore that production especially when he has a large sample size to show for. Kakko definitely has the potential to belong to that group not only for the now but also going forward. He has simply been breathtaking in the A-juniors and to see him already being capable of bringing parts of his game to the highest level possible (that's available to him) is an extremely promising sign. Wouldn't be surprised if he took the league by a storm come next year after one more off-season to gain strength and speed. What comes to Finnish prospects, I do think he is the most gifted kid in the pipeline and next big thing after Laine. I really hope they keep him in the line up and would love to see him play with Perrin and Kallio again tomorrow.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
What do you mean by "he wasn't that good of a prospect"? He played his first game for the men's team when he was 15 years old. He was always a tremendous prospect.
Yes he was good but not Barkov good and I also think Kakko may be better prospect. Kakko may be top5 pick even top3 (very early). Rantanen is not as gifted as Barkov and Kakko in my opinion.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Thanks for this. Agreed, there's just noway to ignore that production especially when he has a large sample size to show for. Kakko definitely has the potential to belong to that group not only for the now but also going forward. He has simply been breathtaking in the A-juniors and to see him already being capable of bringing parts of his game to the highest level possible (that's available to him) is an extremely promising sign. Wouldn't be surprised if he took the league by a storm come next year after one more off-season to gain strength and speed. What comes to Finnish prospects, I do think he is the most gifted kid in the pipeline and next big thing after Laine. I really hope they keep him in the line up and would love to see him play with Perrin and Kallio again tomorrow.

From the few games I got to see of Kakko ,he was starting to do things that won't work at the next level, like dangling. If TPS can bounce him between practicing w/ the men's team to lose bad habits, then playing w/ the Jr A team to show he gets the concepts before giving him more time with the men would do wonders for his development.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Which is the better tier? In my opinion those two players are in the same tier really. Barkov is in my opinion quite overrated, but I have to admit that Rantanen has already become better than I expected him to become. Nice to see that he has a tougher attitude than I thought, as I saw him previously as a bit soft mentally and because of that I doubted that he would probably never become a real top 6 NHL player. I’m really happy that he has proven me wrong, and can someone please pass me some ketchup - this crow is not very tasty. :pout:
Just enjoy your crow raw. You don't deserve any ketchup. :thumbd:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko at 16-17y old: A-juniors 32games 47 points, 3 games 1 point in Liiga.
Laine at 16-17: Played in Leki+was injured, but year before scored 37 in 40 in A. Was dominant in U18. Next year we all remember.
Barkov at 16: A-juniors 5 games 5 points, 32games 16points in Liiga.
Rantanen at 16: A-juniors 35 games 24points,, 15 2+1=3 in Liiga.
Puljujrvi at 16-17: A-juniors 11 games 18 points, Liiga 21 games 11 points.
Aho at 16: 44games 59 points in A-juniors, 3 games 1 point in Liiga.

Kakko could very well belong in this group.
True but it's important to note that Kakko's scoring here isn't entirely comparable because the lower level's really that much easier to score at.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
I'm really stoked about this kid. Unfortunately I don't have the best track record for the players who I get stoked about lol.

First it was Teemu Riihijärvi. Didn't turn out so well.

Then it was Tuomo Ruutu , he turned all right. Would have been probably way better without that knee injury and the physical style of play.

Petteri Nokelainen. Well nothing came out of him.

Joel Armia. He's pretty good but he plays a completely different game than I expected him to play lol

Aleksi Saarela. Well the jury is still out for him. I still expect him to become 20g 15a type of player... If he stays healthy.

And now this guy.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Small montage I put up from his 3 games this week.

If his offseason training goes nicely with Rautala, he could really put up some great numbers next year. Already looking solid for a 16yo playing his first pro games. He is one of those prospects that hardly do any mistakes and he doesn't cheat offensively.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Small montage I put up from his 3 games this week.

If his offseason training goes nicely with Rautala, he could really put up some great numbers next year. Already looking solid for a 16yo playing his first pro games. He is one of those prospects that hardly do any mistakes and he doesn't cheat offensively.

He seems to be really good at forcing turnovers and hanging on to the puck with pressure. If he adds a little speed and strength he is going to make some noise next year.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I see his strengths transfering really well into NHL. He excels in board play already and with his short stick and great hands he will do well in tight places to win the puck battles. Although he isn't really elite in skating, his edgework and first steps seem to be solid, top speed will still need some work. I also like how fierceless he seems to be and doesn't hesitate to drive to the net for some dirty goals. It's a shame you hardly see him using his shot but as far as I'm concerned, he has a quick and accurate release.

He has awful lot similarities with Matthews while obviously being slightly less skilled in overall. But something dramatic has to happen if Kakko doesn't turn out to be a good one.

Reactions: 1OApick

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He seems to be really good at forcing turnovers and hanging on to the puck with pressure. If he adds a little speed and strength he is going to make some noise next year.

Agreed. So delighted by the fact that TPS is giving him this opportunity to play with their best players and getting as much minutes as possible, even on powerplay. The points and goals will come as long as remain patient with him (hopefully this season, cause I want to see more). Just imagine if Kakko started next year playing at the team's first line. Could have one of the best D seasons all time from prospects coming out of Finland (maybe a distant dream but nonetheless). So far he has displayed some really nice tenacity of stripping pucks and hasn't been afraid of challenging defenders. I've noticed some nerveousness as well. A couple of times while executing easy passes, those haven't exactly gone as planned. Need to remember he is only 16 years of age. Still, one of the best players I've got to watch at this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad