RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I wasn't able to watch the game last night but I guess he did OK. Not much you can do when you only get to play 7 minutes.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He played alright. You could definitely see he was nervous. Wasn't really let to show his skill set considering that he hardly played at all. Don't think I remember seeing him on ice at the third period. If it was a home game I'd have thought it as some kind of pr event for the fans. Saw him once finding a lane from the middle and trying to push through it past the defence and he half way made it. Also at one shift they were really good at holding a pressure in the offensive zone. Really a shame that the coaches wouldn't give him a proper debut, but you kind of understand since TPS was spending half of the time in the penalty box while Ilves was leading the game.

Remember another 16yo debut from other Finn not so many years ago. Saarela, who at the time was also considered a star in the makings and Lukko was really pushing to get him on the headlines. He did end up having a great game with 1+1 at the boards, despite of losing to Barkov in the SO. Obviously no home crowd this time. Would be a bit unfair if they judged Kakko based on 7 mins and did not get another try this year. For me, the only minus with Kaapo is that he isn't center, cause the country already has so many good wingers starting up their careers and that's the position we're the most vulnerable. Then again, that is hardly a problem for this young fellow.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Decent effort tonight, though playing with 4th line he couldn't really show up anything. Still, made some decent plays in the offensive zone and wasn't a liability defensively. He's probably had just a couple of practices with the first team, so that's why he might look a bit off. And obviously, gets thrown around. Has height to build on, so that's nothing to worry about. One summer packing in weight and strength and he will probably fit in as a regular even as soon as next season (as TPS is also losing some key forwards).

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I’m excited to watch this kid in the Liiga. He’s one of my favourite 2019 draftees and he’s been tearing it up so far. He also has one of the best names of the draft :laugh:. Having said that, he did look nervous with the little ice time he had. 16 year olds in the Liiga are almost unprecedented.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Nice hands and creativity and some good backchecking there. His frame looks very good, I think he should be able to handle Liiga physically next year. Skating is pretty hard to judge from those clips, but doesn't look like something to worry about. Seems like a top-tier prospect to me.

Reactions: Ookhaab

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I would say he is just a small step below Rantanen at the same age. Interesting to see how he will develop from here on.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I would say he is just a small step below Rantanen at the same age. Interesting to see how he will develop from here on.
Maybe maybe not. I think that Kakko has more offensive potential at least but he is not as gifted as Mikko physically. Kakko also have outscored Mikko almist every year. Hope he is a good one.

Reactions: Ippenator

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Haven't been able to watch but the first game of him but damned am I excited about the kid. Think he's going to have an awesome D season ahead and might just surprise a lot of fans even before 17-18 is over and done with. Don't know how the U18 looks like at the moment but I hope he cracks the roster for the WJCH. In general if you are ready and able to play FEL then you should have the ticket for this tournament.

Reactions: 1OApick

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Nice hands and creativity and some good backchecking there. His frame looks very good, I think he should be able to handle Liiga physically next year. Skating is pretty hard to judge from those clips, but doesn't look like something to worry about. Seems like a top-tier prospect to me.

I would say that he's actually a very good, coordinated skater and that has stood out at the junior level. Good acceleration, solid mobility and smooth stops and starts. Possesses the ability to make plays at high speed. Kakko has a chance to be a high pick in 2019, there's no doubt about it.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Kakko has made points 7+8=15 on six games after the U20 series divided upper and lower groups. TPS is on lower group. On summary he has now 21+20 on 30 games.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->