RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He just matched Kotkaniemi's production from last year in 22 less games.

Kotkaniemi: 10+19 in 57 games
Kakko: 16+13 in 35 games

Kakko has also played more games at center than Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: LAINEC and d rake

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He just matched Kotkaniemi's production from last year in 22 less games.

Kotkaniemi: 10+19 in 57 games
Kakko: 16+13 in 35 games

Kakko has also played more games at center than Kotkaniemi.
To be honest, he also plays for a much better team than Kotka.

Reactions: jalperi

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
To be honest, he also plays for a much better team than Kotka.

What about the goal comparison to Laine's production w/ Tappara in his D- regular season what was mentioned above?
Tappara wasnt imo any worse than this TPS team on that season in "paper" nor production wise (probably tactically tho). Tho Laine's post-season scoring pace and performance is yet unmatched by Kakko but overall I think this is just unprecedented and indicate the increased confidence that Kakko gained after golden goal and successfull gold medal tournament (Laine aswell tho)..

It requires hell of a post season from Kakko to match Laine's one but Finnish vs American draft duel is way tighter than Laines year.

Reactions: d rake and FinPanda

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I wasn't stating that against Kakko, he plays for my team. But having mediocre stats on a bad Liiga team don't mean anythin. Look what happened to Ristolainen and Rantanen when they played for this train wreck of a team.

Comparisons agains Laine, Barkov, Aho and Puljujärvi are much more important since we are talking about top teams.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Kakko have now after U20 Worlds 8 games, 7 goals, 2 assists and 40 shots in Liiga. If Jukka Jalonen dont choose Kakko to mans Worlds training group he will destroy other teams in U18 Worlds. He is very good in everything but he is little bit too much arrogant with the puck.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I wasn't stating that against Kakko, he plays for my team. But having mediocre stats on a bad Liiga team don't mean anythin. Look what happened to Ristolainen and Rantanen when they played for this train wreck of a team.

Comparisons agains Laine, Barkov, Aho and Puljujärvi are much more important since we are talking about top teams.
He passed Puljujärvi tonight as he had 28 points (13+15) in 50 games. Kakko won't be close to Barkov in point total, but I think he could have a quite similar PPG.

Aho had 13 points in 30 games in Liiga during his draft year, so not a good comparable. So comparing Kakko to Laine makes the most sense. Laine had 17+16 so Kakko needs only one goal to match Laine in goal scoring, 4 points to match the point total. If no injuries, he has 11 games to match it or go past him.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kakko have now after U20 Worlds 8 games, 7 goals, 2 assists and 40 shots in Liiga. If Jukka Jalonen dont choose Kakko to mans Worlds training group he will destroy other teams in U18 Worlds. He is very good in everything but he is little bit too much arrogant with the puck.
It's pretty damn obvious that Jalonen is choosing him... He's all but said it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Others would call it "confident"... you call it "arrogant". Sheesh, he's 18. It's good that he's not constantly afraid and quick to give the puck away.

That last goal was truly terrible by the opposing goalie, almost feel like calling this a 2-goal game. But whatever, everything counts. At his age I think that Kakko's the most NHL-ready Finnish prospect in the recent times by a good margin.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
3rd goal might have been a soft one indeed, but it happens sometimes even in a big league (Just ask Toskala f.ex :D). So should we use an old, but pretty well-known phrase from the great one at this one?: "You miss 100% of the shots u don't take"

+I'm happy he has started to shoot more from those instead of just looking for another pass to make. Ofc he still does looks for passes but he doesn't hesitate to shoot either like he was often times in the first half of the season. Conclusion: Watch out the shot aswell opponents!

I'm shocked if he's healthy and not invited to our last EHT roster and after that to our WC roster (Finnish team most likely won't be that stacked offensively, partly because of contract extensions or injuries etc.. stuff)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Maybe. Maybe not. However all the Hughes AINEC crap is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Kakko is a legit talent and is definitely in the same conversation as Hughes.
It's much closer than Matthews vs Laine, that's for sure.

Reactions: d rake

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen I think we're watching the first overall pick here.

Not likely, Kakko could score a hat-trick every game for the remainder of the season, and Hughes would still be viewed as the better prospect.

Reactions: d rake

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Others would call it "confident"... you call it "arrogant". Sheesh, he's 18. It's good that he's not constantly afraid and quick to give the puck away.
U will call what ever you it wanna but from him comes every game too much puck losing for he dont wanna give it to other players.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
U will call what ever you it wanna but from him comes every game too much puck losing for he dont wanna give it to other players.
I disagree, I don't think it's too much at all. He's good at carrying the puck. If you don't try, you'll never succeed.

Talking about "as a prospect", of course. Might not be ideal for optimal performances during matches right there and then.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kakko's currently trailing 6 points from the PPG barrier. He would need to go on a tear for the last remaining 11 games in order to do the unprecedented and break that. He's certainly been given better circumstances than lets say for Rantanen or even Laine, but still that would be something truly special. Not that points or even ppg would even mean everything, but the way he has presented himself as a whole is already something I haven't seen before at this level.

There certainly are many ways one can dominate the outcome, like Barkov's two-way game or Laine's ability to end games from the blue line, Kakko just looks unstoppable whenever he's on the puck. Whoever wins the lottery will have to think long and hard before passing up on him.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Not likely, Kakko could score a hat-trick every game for the remainder of the season, and Hughes would still be viewed as the better prospect.

Luckily the scouts of the teams and all of the NHL organizations are watching the entire season till the end and not made up their minds one year ago already like some of the fans have.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
I disagree, I don't think it's too much at all. He's good at carrying the puck. If you don't try, you'll never succeed.

Talking about "as a prospect", of course. Might not be ideal for optimal performances during matches right there and then.
Today vs Lukko like 10 puck losing. Not too much? Ehh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad