RW John McFarland (2010, 33rd overall, Florida)

droller*

Hes cocky hockey wise. Basically he knows hes a really good hockey player and isnt afraid to tell you that

Personally.. I like that. He has the drive to be the best at a young age, and with maturity and steppin into the O.. it'll tone down a bit :thumbu:

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
As per THN: OHL 5 Players to Watch

John McFarland, 6 '0, 165 lbs.

McFarland compares to Steve Stamkos in potential impact, and is a favorite to go . "He's adynamic point producer, and he knows that he's good" said one scout.

Others:Erik Gudbransen, Jared Knight, Jonathan Merril, Ryan Spooner

Hawks28

Jun 26, 2007
For the OHL draft in '08 is McFarland clearly #1? There was an article about him a year ago about playing early in the OHL (re: Tavares) but he was turned down. He was thought to have special status. Can he light it up in the OHL? And how will he do in the NHL once the 2010 draft comes?

came across this article, which is from 2 days ago. It has commentary from the director of OHL central scouting, Rob Kitamura about Mcfarland. He says, among other things, that McFarland is pretty well a consensus #1. He then goes on to mention 7 other highly rated prospects for the draft.

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=935624

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I work with the CHL..stats are no problem for me to access...the coach Toffoli sent me stats just last week

In what capacity to you work with the CHL? I'm curious, because I would have thought that everyone in Ontario would know that the infamous Dan Cameron is the coach of the JC's. Toffoli's dad is the team manager.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
In what capacity to you work with the CHL? I'm curious, because I would have thought that everyone in Ontario would know that the infamous Dan Cameron is the coach of the JC's. Toffoli's dad is the team manager.

I am a scout in the Quebec Major Junior leage...got the stats from Toffoli, I thought he was the coach but I guess he isn't, he was the contact though for the team.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Some teams in the OHL will not necessarily take the bona fide #1 player, especially if they think he'll leave to play in the NHL at 18. They might think they are better served by taking a player who will stick around until 19 or 20, and whom they can construct a team around.

I think an example of this was the Barrie Colts drafting Daniel Tkazcuk (sp?) ahead of Joe Thornton in 1995 or so. They knew if they took Thornton they'd only have him for two years, so they took the other guy, who played in the OHL for an extra year or two.

I don't really know much about John McFarland, but I think that anything can happen in a draft situation.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Some teams in the OHL will not necessarily take the bona fide #1 player, especially if they think he'll leave to play in the NHL at 18. They might think they are better served by taking a player who will stick around until 19 or 20, and whom they can construct a team around.

I think an example of this was the Barrie Colts drafting Daniel Tkazcuk (sp?) ahead of Joe Thornton in 1995 or so. They knew if they took Thornton they'd only have him for two years, so they took the other guy, who played in the OHL for an extra year or two.

I don't really know much about John McFarland, but I think that anything can happen in a draft situation.

really this is news to me...with the QMJHL drafts we had out 7 to 9 hour meetings the day before the draft, and even all year with the reports and news we get. I do not remember us nor a few people from other teams I know who scout who worry about that. To have a player like Joe Thornton on your team could bring you a championship in those two years he plays were as Tkachuk not so much. We went into the draft thinking jezz in two years he might not be here. In the CHL you do not really have time to build around a player anyway, 2-3 years for the best ones, and it is not the early picks that build your team anyway it is the overagers and players coming back, plus your later round picks...the superstars just bring your team over the top, so I can not see Barrie passing Joe Thornton over because they thought well he might only play two years. Plus you never know how the guy will adjust either. But I know with us and other teams, if we had a chance to pick the top player which he didn't not even close last year, but if we did, we would have grabbed him no matter.

I wonder if Rimouski sat at the table and said well not sure if we should pick Sidney Crosby, he will only be here for two years, lets take Guillaume Latendresse over him, the scouts and management would have been shot at point blanke range LOL.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Check the records if you don't believe me. Barrie drafted Tkaczuk #1 overall in the 1995 OHL draft, ahead of Joe Thornton. I think it's safe to say they didn't consider Tkaczuk to be a better player than Thornton, so they must have had a reason for making the pick they did.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Check the records if you don't believe me. Barrie drafted Tkaczuk #1 overall in the 1995 OHL draft, ahead of Joe Thornton. I think it's safe to say they didn't consider Tkaczuk to be a better player than Thornton, so they must have had a reason for making the pick they did.

I think sometimes teams believe they have a real gem who is going to turn out better than the guy ranked 1st...might have happened here.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site

This is a myth.

I had drinks many years ago with the late Bert Templeton at the old Hot Stove Lounge during a Leaf game at Maple Leaf Gardens. For those of you not familiar with Templeton, he was a real beauty after a few pops, and would talk about anything and everything.

Someone at the table brought up the subject of the Colts drafting Tkaczuk rather than Thornton. Templeton laughed and stated (i.e., slurred) that they thought Tkaczuk was going to be the better junior player, period. The Colts didn't dispel the common perception that they drafted Tkaczuk because they would have him longer, because their owner didn't want the organization to look bad after the fact when it quickly became clear that Thornton was going to be a stud.

As an aside, he also said that Volchkov had the physical talent to be an NHL all-star but was the biggest dog he ever coached attitude-wise.

peaty8

Apr 8, 2008
Mcfarland is an amazing hockey player. He goes to my shcool and i have watched him play. He is going to go number one and when he dose he will rip up the OHL.:)

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
i heard about him but i heard that he wasnt granted Exceptional Player Status or did they change their minds on it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad