RW Jesse Ylonen - Laval Rocket, AHL (2018, 35th, MTL)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How did he look in his debut NHL match against Edmonton?
First shift he had a bad turnover. Also got on a pp at one point and threw the puck out of the offensive zone, effectively making a clear for the other team.

That said, he definitely got better as the game went along. Showed good speed and I thought he put himself into open spots in the offensive zone, showing a good awareness and feel for the dangerous areas. Had one nice net drive where he almost deflected a high pass/shot into the net.

All that said, way too early to know for sure. After a couple so-so years in Liiga, he's had a solid year in NA that puts him back on track to be a decent middle six scorer.

Reactions: Stubu and wings5

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
How did he look in his debut NHL match against Edmonton?
Good. Better than most other prospects on Montreal. If he doesn’t get any better than he is right now he’s a 3rd line player with 25-30 points potential maybe while also being responsible defensively and aiding in transition play.

If he regresses then maybe he’s traded around the league..

If he gets better, he’s possibly a top 9 guy who sees 50 points at some point a few times?

Reactions: wings5

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
@montreal you're the GOAT.

Great game by Ylönen. What a shot he has. He's progressed really nicely since arriving in Laval. I could see him playing in a middle-six role on the Habs. This is the last year he'll see time in the minors.

Thanks. He was really heating up before the call up with 14 pts in 15 games, not bad for a 2nd year player. He doesn't need to clear waivers next year until he plays in 64 more NHL games. They don't need to rush him, so they can wait and see how he looks at camp as he still need to add mass and strength imo. Plus if the Habs are terrible and you could have a very good looking incoming class of prospects to Laval next season, so perhaps spending some time there wouldn't be a bad thing especially if Dom is still the coach although I don't think I would put money on that being the case after listening to yesterday's press conference.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I really like his speed and his shot. I don't think he can be a regulard top6 player. But probably a good third liner that can score 15/year. Him Poehling/Evans and Lehkonen could be a fast pace, new nhl, energy line.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really like his speed and his shot. I don't think he can be a regulard top6 player. But probably a good third liner that can score 15/year. Him Poehling/Evans and Lehkonen could be a fast pace, new nhl, energy line.

With prospects it's all about progress or the lack of, so in his 2nd year in North America he takes a big jump forward but clearly still has things to work on like getting stronger and adding mass, getting more involved in the play physically. So for now I would agree that he looks like a kid that might not stick on say your 2nd line but might be able to be a decent 3rd liner depending on the coach and if they want a strictly shut down kind of 3rd line or not. But if he can continue to progress over say the next 2-3 years, maybe he can be a solid 2nd line winger.

Tough to say, as the speed, skating and shot are there, he can dish the puck but can he do those things consistently in the NHL without being a good bit stronger, only time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad