RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I heard (don´t have any source) that his english has already improved quite a lot. Can some Edmonton fans confirm this?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This has been an aberration year for the Oil. I would reset as a team and reset with all players. Finnish developed players always seem to need a period of adjustment. Give him more time. Get a coach that knows how to use players. Let the team reset. I think he will be just fine he's one of those players that when he finds out how to play in NA, where it is instinctive and not over thinking it on the ice, his game will just take off.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not so sure he plays in the NHL long term, yet. Yakupov had 31 points in his first 48 games.

He needs to show more still.

It’s not all about points for JP right now. He’s playing good 200 foot hockey which is something Yakupov never managed - he’s a long way from a liability out there when he isn’t scoring, which is very important for a young player.

Have to remember big guys sometimes take a bit to develop. Jesse’s got to grow into his body some yet.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I love jesse thought Edm got a steal with him, but they are destroying him just like they did yakupov, should of been in the ahl his first and second season. it's ridiculous how he's being handled. i still have faith he can be a 50-60 two way winger

Reactions: LAINEC

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He needs to be in the AHL so bad.

I hate saying it but i think he struggles so bad out there. Looks like he doesnt belong in the NHL yet. He still needs some development time i feel

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He needs to be in the AHL so bad.

I hate saying it but i think he struggles so bad out there. Looks like he doesnt belong in the NHL yet. He still needs some development time i feel

Which is weird because he looked poised, confident, and was driving the play in the preseason.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Which is weird because he looked poised, confident, and was driving the play in the preseason.

Ya its strange.. Oh well, hes still super young and needs to develop. Things just start looking bad sometimes due to how quickly some players develop and the fact players drafted after him are already excelling in the league. Hes only 20 years old so no need to panic yet

I will admit too that its fun thinking to myself what Oilers would look like if they had drafted so and so instead.. But thats always easy to do after the fact

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ya its strange.. Oh well, hes still super young and needs to develop. Things just start looking bad sometimes due to how quickly some players develop and the fact players drafted after him are already excelling in the league. Hes only 20 years old so no need to panic yet

I will admit too that its fun thinking to myself what Oilers would look like if they had drafted so and so instead.. But thats always easy to do after the fact

I still firmly believe that Puljujarvi will be fine. His issues are mental and coach-driven.

It’s easy to forget that he’s only 20. If he was 23 I’d be a lot more concerned.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Personally I am dropping my expecrations for Pulju.

Ofcourse there is possibility that he mans up and starts really pushing his developement.

What I see as pros and cons.

Pros.

+good frame
+hard shot
+good defencive plays
+good top speed
+passing skill is there

Cons
-does not use his frame,timid?
-shots are off target, way off
-loses buck way to easily, even in safe situtations.
-has no idea how to make himself open in attack.
-has no idea generally where to be in attack, forecheck is late etc.
-acceleration seems slow, might be also iq thing.
-mentally weak.
-no grit.

And so on. There has been zero developement in NA in most important peaces of his puzzle.

This boy needs some serious personal and mental coaching.

Still hoping for best. Nice kid he is.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I was told that in the Finnish papers that Puljujarvi straight up said that his English skills are hindering his ability to get coached up.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I was told that in the Finnish papers that Puljujarvi straight up said that his English skills are hindering his ability to get coached up.

I heard that at start of last year.. Hes still rolling with that? I could definately see there being an issue with that when players first come over but i dont buy it if hes STILL saying that.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I heard that at start of last year.. Hes still rolling with that? I could definately see there being an issue with that when players first come over but i dont buy it if hes STILL saying that.
Is his english that bad? You'd think this would be an issue more often with players coming over.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
Personally I am dropping my expecrations for Pulju.

Ofcourse there is possibility that he mans up and starts really pushing his developement.

What I see as pros and cons.

Pros.

+good frame
+hard shot
+good defencive plays
+good top speed
+passing skill is there

Cons
-does not use his frame,timid?
-shots are off target, way off
-loses buck way to easily, even in safe situtations.
-has no idea how to make himself open in attack.
-has no idea generally where to be in attack, forecheck is late etc.
-acceleration seems slow, might be also iq thing.
-mentally weak.
-no grit.

And so on. There has been zero developement in NA in most important peaces of his puzzle.

This boy needs some serious personal and mental coaching.

Still hoping for best. Nice kid he is.

you would think Edm would see things too but there pattern continues. Your bang on!

Reactions: tellermine

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Can Oilers just trade him, few teams can really butcher a players development as Oilers had done past decade, I feel sorry for him.
Cant understand why did even bother to bring him over when he could not speak the language. He should stayed in Finland an learn English for a year so he would felt more comfortable with the language. No in this case I dont buy the the argument, he learn the language quicker if he comes over. It does, when you can speak a bit.
Oilers and Tim Murry, 2 of the worst prospect developers. Never forget Tim Murrays grin face when he said Nylander would develop better in AHL then SHL.... Nylander lost 2 years tnx to that morron.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
I heard (don´t have any source) that his english has already improved quite a lot. Can some Edmonton fans confirm this?

X-cuse me ... while I kiss the sky.

But what on bloody earth has that to do with his hockey skills Edmonton?!

Do you think Russian youngsters (for an example) are way better than Jesse in speakin' English? ... then you're way offside. Even if they play in NHL.

Ask 'em; for Christ sake ...

Finland is ranked among the best in the world with their school system: nothing more and nothing less. Simple as that.

No grammar schools, lots of play: the secrets of Europe’s top education system

But you've ain't seen nothing yet of Jesse Puljujärvi NHL - but not sure if it will be in Edmonton though ...

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Puljujärvi isnt the brightest. He is a good kid,who wasnt good in school. He doesnt got the brains. He has all the tools but no toolbox. He is coached badly, thrown in with new linemates and cant communicate properly. A kid like this, with learning weaknesses, should be given more time to get used to linemates and what his job is. I do think he has a chance to succeed in the NHL, but not with Oilers. Carolina would be the best fit for him. Aho would be a great fit and help with the language...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->