Value of: RW Gerald Mayhew

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Running away with the AHL goalscoring(leads by 9) and PPG race, and only beaten out in points by his linemate(by two) Sam Anas. Had 60 points(27g) last year, so he's not a flash in the pan. He's 27 yo, so I know he's not going to fetch a ton, but surely some team starved for offensive depth might want to give him a shot in the NHL? I wish MN would trade a winger or two so that they could be the ones to do it.

He has already passed the goalscoring leaders of the past three years, and he still has 25 or so more games to play. You have to go back to Vatrano to find more impressive goal scoring totals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vagrant

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't see him having much value by himself. What I could see is him being an addition onto another deal that happens at the deadline.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Mr. Mayhew?
2fZZNejSp0azY1wJ2iF3L1jrDhCEWUdLB--vianiiGE.png

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Probably similar value to a guy like Nick Petan. So not much. A similar aged depth player or a late pick.
But great season from him regardless.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I could see the Leafs going after him as an addition to a larger trade. Hes mot exactly a spring chicken, but if the Leafs are moving Kapanen he could be a depth RW to replace whoever would get called up to play 3RW.

Hows the rest of his game?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it's unfortunate that a scorer like mayhew is stuck in the minors. he's going to find his place and if the wild let him get away without giving him a real shot they'll be worse for it. going back to the playoffs last season, he has 47 goals in his last 55 ahl games. he's switched on. what's weird is that if he were a 27 year old free agent producing similar results in a foreign pro league he'd have 30 teams call his agent.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild have guys like Galchenyuk, Donato, and Hartman playing on the wings, often on their offside. Seems like they might want to give this guy a chance.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It’s not unheard of for a guy to put it together in his mid to late 20’s but it’s pretty rare. It makes me wonder why a middling team like the wild wouldn’t give this guy a shot.

I’m usually pretty good with players but I’ve honestly never heard of him, can somebody fill me in a bit on this guys. How’s his skating? Does he just have an absolutely lethal shot or does he score goals in different ways?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Seems everyone agrees it is ridiculous that the Wild haven’t given him a look. Chances are he is Pulkinnen, but it’s not like giving him a chance is going to disrupt a legitimate Cup run by the Wild.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
There was a small bidding war for Czarnik for lighting up the AHL and he's definitely NHL caliber (Flames just prefer grit over goals). Teams should be looking into him. Give this man a look already.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
It’s not unheard of for a guy to put it together in his mid to late 20’s but it’s pretty rare. It makes me wonder why a middling team like the wild wouldn’t give this guy a shot.

I’m usually pretty good with players but I’ve honestly never heard of him, can somebody fill me in a bit on this guys. How’s his skating? Does he just have an absolutely lethal shot or does he score goals in different ways?

Skates pretty well but wouldn’t call it upper end. Won’t be chasing the play though.

Shot doesn’t seem be high end in any area. Scores goals in all types of manners watching Iowa’s highlights. Seems to be one of those guys that has a nose for the net.

When he was up with the Wild earlier, he didn’t embarrass himself but he didn’t exactly provide much of a reason for the staff to keep him on the roster and give him quality minutes in an offensive role.

I’m guessing at least one or more of Donato/Greenway/Foligno/Galy will be on their way out prior to the deadline so it stands to reason he could get another shot at some point. However, Iowa is one of the better AHL teams in the league so they want to keep him down there for development reasons for the other players on roster. His linemate Anas is also having an incredible year in Iowa but he’s a little more clearly an AHL level talent. Still young, but small and likely doesn’t skate well enough to get a shot at the NHL level.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Wild appear to be vg to EXC at id'ing D talent (i.e. Soucy this year), but ass when it comes to forwards. They were probably hoping that Mayhew would start slumping and just go away so they could go back to choosing whether to bench Rask, Donato, or now, Galchenyuk. Instead, he is scoring goals at levels seldom seen in recent years in the AHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Skates pretty well but wouldn’t call it upper end. Won’t be chasing the play though.

Shot doesn’t seem be high end in any area. Scores goals in all types of manners watching Iowa’s highlights. Seems to be one of those guys that has a nose for the net.

When he was up with the Wild earlier, he didn’t embarrass himself but he didn’t exactly provide much of a reason for the staff to keep him on the roster and give him quality minutes in an offensive role.

I’m guessing at least one or more of Donato/Greenway/Foligno/Galy will be on their way out prior to the deadline so it stands to reason he could get another shot at some point. However, Iowa is one of the better AHL teams in the league so they want to keep him down there for development reasons for the other players on roster. His linemate Anas is also having an incredible year in Iowa but he’s a little more clearly an AHL level talent. Still young, but small and likely doesn’t skate well enough to get a shot at the NHL level.

Scored 2 goals in 7 games, which isn't too bad. I know one was just Dumba banking a shot off his hip, but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->