RW Eeli Tolvanen (2017, 30th, NSH) Part III

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Imagine actually believing AHL is a better league than KHL..

There's couple other euroleagues on par with AHL, but KHL is easily better than it.
The KHL is a very top heavy league. The average AHL team could beat the average KHL team.

I love how people are so shook by this. You're living in complete denial if you think there are multiple euro leagues as competitive as the AHL.

Reactions: Ducks76

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Yes, that ~7% scoring disparity between the leagues is super crucial in this argument.

Obviously, Tolvanen is having a hard time transitioning to the small ice even though he played great in all competitions last year whatever opposition he faced - be it KHL, WJC, OG or WC. The fact that you are trying to make some end-all definitive conclusion about the strength of the league based on a single undersized 19-year-old is laughable. Kaprizov has 17 points in 24 games. Kane had 2 in 12. Dadonov is top line wing in the NHL when his linemate, whom most considered to be more talented, didn't make the NHL at all. If all those things don't tell you it's more complicated than "can we put to bed this idea that the KHL is the 2nd best league in the world because Tolvanen doesn't score in the AHL" I don't know what to tell you other than maybe you should educate yourself on the subject before talking about it.

Not to mention that the last time you saw Dawes play was probably 2010 or so.
I must have missed the ascent of the great 33 year old Nigel Dawes :laugh:

You got me dawg. KHL is legit.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He scored 33 and 34 points in 51 and 52 games respectively the first 2 seasons after coming over. I'm pretty sure that indicates he improved quite a lot as a player over the years, doesn't it? But surely it's better to just bang your own drum with further ignorant replies like "you got me dawg".

You talk about other people being in denial yet have little to no idea what you are talking about yourself. Well done.

Team with top 6 of Beau Bennett, Pulkkinen, Kostitsyn bros and Howden is last in the conference. With Enroth in net as well. AHL can beat that, really? The KHL is so top heavy because teams like SKA have players of similar quality on the 4th line or not even cracking the roster (see Khokhlachev).

Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Wasn’t it just a scorching start to a KHL season? I thought he had a very dry second half of the season. No?
There was a point where he didn’t score for about a month, didn’t go hog wild after he came back from WJC. I just chalked it up to hitting the wall because the schedule was pretty crazy for KHL teams due to the Olympics.

Reactions: koyvoo

ijuka

May 14, 2016

You got me dawg. KHL is legit.
You mean the guy who scored 72 points during his last season in AHL? Nice argument for AHL > KHL there, bud.

Reactions: LAINEC

blindpass

May 7, 2010
If we are just talking about point production you can look up NHLe statistics and see the KHL scoring is "harder" than AHL, in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 others

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
If we are just talking about point production you can look up NHLe statistics and see the KHL scoring is "harder" than AHL, in general.

The one thing about NHLe in the KHL is you have to look at it from a season by season basis. The quality of players fluctuates immensely. The KHL this season for example is perhaps at the lowest strength of competition it's had in quite some time. There are KHL teams this season that would struggle with the best ECHL teams let alone some AHL squads. There are also a few KHL teams that would wipe the floor with pretty much any AHL team in a 7 game series.

I truthfully believe it's easier to score in the KHL right now than it is in the AHL. Especially when you look at the best KHL goalie from last season is a so-so goalie this year in the AHL. Shows you where the talent is, at least in terms of that position.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
At least KHL, Liiga, Elitserien are better than AHL. Anyhow, Tolvanen is Pulkkinen 2.

Top 6 Liiga players in their prime are bottom 6 AHL/Top line ECHL unless they’re out scoring they’re scoring more than a standard deviation above the other leading scorers.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Absolutely not. He needs to learn to play on the small ice and produce.

So the time spent in the USHL for 2 years was for nothing???, he forget everything???
Sure, its different to play small ice surface as a pro what as a junior but still...you'd think he knows how to play.
-i think its all about his head, its not fit at the moment.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So the time spent in the USHL for 2 years was for nothing???, he forget everything???
Sure, its different to play small ice surface as a pro what as a junior but still...you'd think he knows how to play.
I did not mean that. I meant that he doesn't actually dominate on the small ice like he does on the big ice. He should keep getting better, scoring and he should use his strenghts better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Maurice

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I did not mean that. I meant that he doesn't actually dominate on the small ice like he does on the big ice. He should keep getting better, scoring and he should use his strenghts better.

Yeah, but it's possibly not because of the ice size, but because of different system, lack of support and other things, that destroy the young kid's confidence.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Junior hockey isnt the same as pro hockey regardless of what ice surface it is, and certain pro leagues can be vastly different from each other. Enough with this nonsense.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think, he should stay in the KHL for a season or two to mature. And prove, his first pro-season wasn't a fluke.

Nah, it's obvious he needs to adjust to the speed of the NA game and that's better accomplished in the AHL. Koivu and Mi Granlund benefited from it and I think Tolvanen will as well.

Top 6 Liiga players in their prime are bottom 6 AHL/Top line ECHL unless they’re out scoring they’re scoring more than a standard deviation above the other leading scorers.

Antti Suomela says hi.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

He didn't dominate against proper competition. He was invisible against the top teams in international games.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
At least KHL, Liiga, Elitserien are better than AHL. Anyhow, Tolvanen is Pulkkinen 2.
I truly hope not. It seems like he can't figure out the North American ice. At least Pulkkinen had some real success in the AHL. He was dominant down there , just too darn slow in everything to be an effective NHL player.

Let Tolvanen marinade in AHL until he dominates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad