RW Eeli Tolvanen (2017, 30th, NSH) Part III

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I agree. Most of all, he needs to adjust his game to the smaller rink. Otherwise he'll become another Teemu Pulkkinen.
Well he is already a better skater than Pulkkinen ever was, so I think he should be really able to make it. But I was worried last season of how easily Eeli got tired towards the end of his shifts. Also his complete vanishing for quite a while a bit after the halfway of the season, were signs of him maybe having pretty bad stamina and being still quite a physical weakling for the level that the NHL is really.

A bit of a worrying tendency honestly with the recent Finnish prospects to be physically in pretty weak condition. In addition to Tolvanen I have seen the same problem with Granlund, Teräväinen, Laine, Puljujärvi (to some extent), Hintz, Borgström and Heponiemi. They all could have been already earlier trained better to be ready also physically. Barkov, Rantanen and Aho are more like exceptions, as they all have been extremely well physically trained. Aho is crazy strong for his size, and he in fact made even crazier progress coming to this season, but he was already a physically well trained player as a junior. Especially his legs and balance have been very good for quite a while already.

But what’s wrong with the physical training with the Finnish junior players so far? I see at least some kind of problems with it.

Last edited:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Well he is already a better skater than Pulkkinen ever was, so I think he should be really able to make it. But I was worried last season of how easily Eeli got tired towards the end of his shifts. Also his complete vanishing for quite a while a bit after the halfway of the season, were signs of him maybe having pretty bad stamina and being still quite a physical weakling for the level that the NHL is really.

A bit of a worrying tendecny honestly with the recent Finnish prospects to be physically in pretty weak condition. In addition to Tolvanen I have seen the same problem with Granlund, Teräväinen, Laine, Puljujärvi (to some extent), Hintz, Borgström and Heponiemi. They all could have been already earlier trained better to be ready also physically. Barkov, Rantanen and Aho are more like exceptions, as they all have been extremely well physically trained. Aho is crazy strong for his size, and he in fact made even crazier progress coming to this season, but he was already a physically well trained player as a junior. Especially his legs and balance have been very good for quite a while already.

But what’s wrong with the physical training with the Finnish junior players so far? I see at least some kind of problems with it.

I have to agree with this. I can't speak specifically about Tolvanen because I never saw him in street clothes nor in live games, but in the past I saw many Fins in person (Rajala, Haula, Pulkkinen, Granlund, Teravainen, Laine, Puljujarvi, etc.), and most of them did not look to be physically strong compared to their North American and even Swedish counterparts. I am speaking specifically about the US National Development camp tournament that the US used to host in Lake Placid every summer. I used to go watch Finland, Sweden, and the US (and once Canada) play in that tournament (until it moved from Lake Placid) and I was always surprised at how scrawny the Fins looked. Even Laine and Puljujarvi (who were very tall) were thin and didn't look overly strong.

This has always made me wonder if the Finnish program doesn't focus enough on strength training and off-ice development. It is hard to say that the Fins are doing something wrong, because they have been developing some exceptionally good players over the last 4 or 5 years, but it does explain why some don't pan out and why others take a bit longer to develop than was initially expected.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vesalainen-Kakko-Tolvanen could be the top line in WJC assuming Kotkaniemi isn't available.
I'd presume Kupari is the top line center, also, why would two AHL:ers go ahead of Heponiemi?

Heponiemi-Kupari-Kakko

If Winnipeg&Nashville have guts to release Vesalainen&Tolvanen then they would be great for the 2nd line

Vesalainen-Lundell-Tolvanen

Ylönen-????-Nordgren

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

A bit of a worrying tendecny honestly with the recent Finnish prospects to be physically in pretty weak condition. In addition to Tolvanen I have seen the same problem with Granlund, Teräväinen, Laine, Puljujärvi (to some extent), Hintz, Borgström and Heponiemi. They all could have been already earlier trained better to be ready also physically. Barkov, Rantanen and Aho are more like exceptions, as they all have been extremely well physically trained. Aho is crazy strong for his size, and he in fact made even crazier progress coming to this season, but he was already a physically well trained player as a junior. Especially his legs and balance have been very good for quite a while already.

Kotkaniemi also is not overly strong and has balance issues

Reactions: Ippenator

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland

I have to agree with this. I can't speak specifically about Tolvanen because I never saw him in street clothes nor in live games, but in the past I saw many Fins in person (Rajala, Haula, Pulkkinen, Granlund, Teravainen, Laine, Puljujarvi, etc.), and most of them did not look to be physically strong compared to their North American and even Swedish counterparts. I am speaking specifically about the US National Development camp tournament that the US used to host in Lake Placid ever summer. I used to go watch Finland, Sweden, and the US (and once Canada) play in that tournament (until it moved from Lake Placid) and I was always surprised at how scrawny the Fins looked. Even Laine and Puljujarvi (who were very tall) were thin and didn't look overly strong.

This has always made me wonder if the Finnish program doesn't focus enough on strength training and off-ice development. It is hard to say that the Fins are doing something wrong, because they have been developing some exceptionally good players over the last 4 or 5 years, but it does explain why some don't pan out and why others take a bit longer to develop than was initially expected.
It doesn't.

The reason why people like Barkov and Rantanen were physically mature from the start was due to their crazy work ethic. Also, Barkov was Ville Nieminen's protege whilst he played in Tampere and thus got plenty of advice from a seasoned NHL player. Other young players might not have the necessary guidance to perfect their physical side. This is where the program should step in and provide the necessary tools.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Report: Predators prospect Eeli Tolvanen says he's going to stay in US

Eeli Tolvanen appears to have decided to stay in America to play hockey.

Tolvanen told a Finnish radio station he's going to remain with the Admirals and fine-tune his game on the smaller rinks in the States rather than return to the larger rinks of the KHL to play for his former team, Jokerit. Tolvanen told Finnish media his "eyes are on the NHL" and that he believes playing in the American League will get him there faster.

Predators coach Peter Laviolette said during training camp that even though Tolvanen could opt to leave for the KHL, which would mean he couldn't return to the NHL until after that season ended, he believed honing his craft in the AHL would be more beneficial.
"As a young player it’s really important to go down there and learn the American game and the way it’s played over here," Laviolette said. "There's always a little bit of a learning curve at this level. The rink is a little bit different. It's hard for a 19-year-old in general coming in. ... You have to get up to speed."
Tolvanen, who has a goal and four assists in eight games this season, agreed that he needs to make some improvements before returning to the NHL.
He played in three games and played 12 minutes, 7 seconds with the Predators last season after he was picked 30th overall in the 2017 draft.
"I have to improve, little stuff," Tolvanen said during camp. "I have to start producing more in the offensive zone. But I think that’s going to come when the games go by and I get comfortable out there."

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
The Pulkkinen comparison is a bit lazy insofar as they don't play the same style of hockey. Yes, they are both Finnish, but that's about it.

However, if you are saying that, like Pulkkinen, Tolvanen won't make it in the NHL, then you are entitled to that opinion, but I think it is a little pre-mature to write Tolvanen off already. Pulkkinen had some obvious flaws in his game that prevented him from becoming an NHL regular. In fact, outside of his amazing shot, there wasn't anything about Pulkkinen that was NHL-caliber. Tolvanen is a more well-rounded player and that should give him a better opportunity to succeed. Compared to Pulkkinen, Tolvanen is a faster/better skater, a better passer, and generally a smarter player. Pulkkinen's shot was so good that a lot of people ignored the many flaws in his game and that is why he was (unjustifiably) hyped as a prospect.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It doesn't.

The reason why people like Barkov and Rantanen were physically mature from the start was due to their crazy work ethic. Also, Barkov was Ville Nieminen's protege whilst he played in Tampere and thus got plenty of advice from a seasoned NHL player. Other young players might not have the necessary guidance to perfect their physical side. This is where the program should step in and provide the necessary tools.

It's more a matter of wanting to stunt the player's height growth by going overboard with weight training. Several players or people close the them have said this over the years. Mikko Koivu's father said it about him, when he was still growing height that they didn't want to mess it up by bringing in weight training too soon.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's more a matter of wanting to stunt the player's height growth by going overboard with weight training. Several players or people close the them have said this over the years. Mikko Koivu's father said it about him, when he was still growing height that they didn't want to mess it up by bringing in weight training too soon.
Is that some kind of bro science?

Reactions: CanuckCity

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There is so much pressure right now on teenagers to be good right away and we have seen some remarkable NHL success stories.

Tolvanen has not quite delivered so far, but I hope he keeps plugging along. Still just 19, which still is so young.

He really needs to learn to dominate the AHL before joining the Preds. It is tough going down there; a gritty, blue collar league. But it will make him into a man.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
There is so much pressure right now on teenagers to be good right away and we have seen some remarkable NHL success stories.

Tolvanen has not quite delivered so far, but I hope he keeps plugging along. Still just 19, which still is so young.

He really needs to learn to dominate the AHL before joining the Preds. It is tough going down there; a gritty, blue collar league. But it will make him into a man.

Amen.

Hee needs to get it going in tuff eviroment.
Faster, stronger, more dynamic.
But still with his exelent iq.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
scored his 2nd goal of the season. Now 2+7 in 16 games played.

edit: also scored an empty net goal so 3+7 now.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Also people over-hyped the hell out of the kid. Like don't get me wrong, he's a very good prospect, but people have been putting him as top 5 player in his draft based on 16 KHL games and it has never made sense to me.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Also people over-hyped the hell out of the kid. Like don't get me wrong, he's a very good prospect, but people have been putting him as top 5 player in his draft based on 16 KHL games and it has never made sense to me.
He ended up playing 49 KHL games and breaking records for his age, then following it up with a stellar performance for Finland at the Olympics. The hype wasn't unjustified.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He ended up playing 49 KHL games and breaking records for his age, then following it up with a stellar performance for Finland at the Olympics. The hype wasn't unjustified.

He had 20 points in his first 16 games. He was less than .5 PPG beyond that, which is very good for a D+1 player in the KHL, but everybody seemed convinced that the 20 in 16 was the player that he would be. He'll be good, I have no doubt of that, but he will not be top 5 in his draft.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He had 20 points in his first 16 games. He was less than .5 PPG beyond that, which is very good for a D+1 player in the KHL, but everybody seemed convinced that the 20 in 16 was the player that he would be. He'll be good, I have no doubt of that, but he will not be top 5 in his draft.

He played a lot of hockey last season, no real surprise he slowed down. Still broke the record for the best season of his age ever. No reason he couldn't be top 5 by the end of it.

Reactions: Tex76

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He played a lot of hockey last season, no real surprise he slowed down. Still broke the record for the best season of his age ever. No reason he couldn't be top 5 by the end of it.

Watching him I don't see it. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad