RW Eeli Tolvanen Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2017, 30th, NSH) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
You can criticize the rules, but they were not changed or misinterpreted to achieve this outcome. Also changing them mid-season is not really a fair option, so what is left is to consider whether they should be altered to avoid these situations in the future.

Claim about the "rule" is outdated and false. They had that rule before and it dates from soviet era. But it hasnt been valid for years. Jokerit asked about it from KHL and they said anyone can win it russian or not.

So theres only 2 reasons why Eeli didnt win. First is a major screwup somewhere or "russian bias". I think reason number 2 is more plausible in this situation.

Sad in every way.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That is not correct, during the Soviet times there were no nationality limitations. The rules were adopted when the award changed hands later on. The KHL doesn't own all the awards.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
If the nationality rule is true, then that's just stupid. The KHL wants to expand to everywhere, but they have rules to prevent players from other countries winning a trophy?

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
The KHL rookie award is a complete and utter joke and makes it even more clear how the so called "second best league" in the world is just rife with incompetence.. and the point stands wether is clear bias or some old rule they couldnt be bothered to update.

There could not have possibly been a more clear winner than Tolvanen.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This must be the most absurd recent thing that's actually happened in a league that is not only professional, but also should hold professional standards. I don't think anyone actually believes that this other kid earned the award. If anything, the KHL is making itself look kind of foolish and self-centered. When they've been basically vacuuming teams into the league from various different countries, it should go without saying that they would be playing under the same rules and vice versa (the teams should respect KHL's standards and traditions), but obviously that's not the case . It really doesn't matter, but still, what a joke. :)

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
No matter if the rules have a nationality regulation or not - the end result is that KHL looks like a joke in both cases.

Not that I would rip my jeans over it. And I think Eeli doesn't care too much either. He has his sights set in the NHL next season. (I think 20-30 games of AHL would do good for him at the start, Preds can ease him into the lineup as an injury call-up later in the season. Their top 6 or even top 9 is stacked, so no use to mess around with that from the beginning of the season - unless the kid goes lights out in preseason.)

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
No matter if the rules have a nationality regulation or not - the end result is that KHL looks like a joke in both cases.

Not that I would rip my jeans over it. And I think Eeli doesn't care too much either. He has his sights set in the NHL next season. (I think 20-30 games of AHL would do good for him at the start, Preds can ease him into the lineup as an injury call-up later in the season. Their top 6 or even top 9 is stacked, so no use to mess around with that from the beginning of the season - unless the kid goes lights out in preseason.)

Exactly.

I think Eeli still needs a bit of work with his physique as evidenced in playoffs against TsSKA as well as his few NHL games.. well it's hard to draw too many conclusions from such a small sample size of him adjusting to NHL.
He is such a complete package already though, good IQ and vision, great skater, good hands and a very strong shot as well. I think after a summer of training he could already very well be ready to for a big breaktrough in NHL.
I dont except Laine like numbers straigh away but I can see him having a very respectable season with the Preds.

Reactions: Ippenator

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Well, Matthews was chosen as rookie of the year instead of Laine. Just as absurd and proves how both leagues prefer domestic before forreign

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Well, Matthews was chosen as rookie of the year instead of Laine. Just as absurd and proves how both leagues prefer domestic before forreign

I'm a huge fan of Laine but I can't understand how someone can possibly think that he was robbed. Matthews had a slightly better rookie season, no matter what PPG numbers were.

That isn't the topic of this thread, but if you want to use it as a comparison, Tolvanen losing this title to (whatever his name was) would be equivalent to Laine having the rookie season he had (36+28 = 64) but Matthews winning Calder if he had scored like 6+8 = 14. We can rabble about biases in the NHL on this board and sometimes they even exist to some extent, but the magnitudes are so small comparing to those in KHL that it's laughable.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
You can criticize the rules, but they were not changed or misinterpreted to achieve this outcome. Also changing them mid-season is not really a fair option, so what is left is to consider whether they should be altered to avoid these situations in the future.

Why wouldn't that be fair?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Jokerit twitter said that the rookie award can go to a person of any nationality. There's no such rule that the guy has to be Russian. Which of course makes this even more embarrassing. Just Russians being Russians.

Doesn't matter though. KHL is hopefully history for him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Every version of the rules anyone has been able to find so far does include the condition that the newcomer has to be Russian. If the rules have changed then there should be in existence some independent source confirming that.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Eeli was eligible to be Rookie of the Week and Rookie of the Month several times during season 2017-2018:
Not to mention those age records that were broken by Eeli (= meaning nobody has ever done better in the league when being as young as he was/is).

But somehow he is not eligible to be The Rookie of the Year.

KHL made ridiculously stupid, biased, unfair decision, that can be defended only by using out-of-hockey arguments.

KHL is allegedly multinational league having teams from multiple countries, but you have to be Russian rookie, to be eligible for the Rookie - award? Right.

[insert big image of middle finger here]

That's my argument too! So you can be rookie of the month and week but not the year? Ridiculous

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Tolvanen should have won 100%. He broke scoring records as an 18 year old and was a huge part of his team's offence.
KHL is garbage. Russia is garbage.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Every version of the rules anyone has been able to find so far does include the condition that the newcomer has to be Russian. If the rules have changed then there should be in existence some independent source confirming that.

Jokerit asked this directly from KHL, A rookie of any nation, under 26 years old is eligible for the ROTY.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You keep claiming the same again and again, but can not provide any source for these supposed new rules.

In the past the award was managed by a private company that arranged a poll among coaches, and the player with most points got the award. Eligible were explicitly Russian U26 players. You claim that this has changed completely, but can not provide any other source for it than one salty Jokerit twitter message.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
You keep claiming the same again and again, but can not provide any source for these supposed new rules.

In the past the award was managed by a private company that arranged a poll among coaches, and the player with most points got the award. Eligible were explicitly Russian U26 players. You claim that this has changed completely, but can not provide any other source for it than one salty Jokerit twitter message.
This will make you look stupid.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

If the Jokerit organisation tweets and says they asked KHL about it, then that is the truth and a legit source. Now stop.

It is not some fanboy twitter, it represents the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->