RW Daniel Sprong (2015, 46th, PIT; traded to ANA)

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I've stood next to him multiple times in street clothes. He is easily 6'0" if not 6'1" and also is heavier than 180. Probably closer to 195 200.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Love his willingness to just shoot whenever he gets half a chance. Goals will come.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Finished his first year in the AHL at ppg through 65 games, while the second highest scorer on his team had only 50 points in 70 games.

Extremely impressive for someone who was 20 for most of the season.

Does he somehow stick in the top 9 for Pitts next year?

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
any other team than pittsburgh he would of played in NHL
next yr is Pittsburgh or traded but he is in NHL next yr
book it

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Finished his first year in the AHL at ppg through 65 games, while the second highest scorer on his team had only 50 points in 70 games.

Extremely impressive for someone who was 20 for most of the season.

Does he somehow stick in the top 9 for Pitts next year?

It's plausible, but there is the tricky fact that he exclusively plays the same wing Kessel & Hörnqvist play. There's part of me that wouldn't be surprised if the Pens move him this off-season and an equally large part of me that feels like that would be a giant mistake.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It's plausible, but there is the tricky fact that he exclusively plays the same wing Kessel & Hörnqvist play. There's part of me that wouldn't be surprised if the Pens move him this off-season and an equally large part of me that feels like that would be a giant mistake.
It’s fine. Kessel on his own line was clearly a success. Malkin with Hagelin and Hornqvist was a clear success. If Sprong can click with Crosby...our C and RW depth will be unbelievable.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
any other team than pittsburgh he would of played in NHL
next yr is Pittsburgh or traded but he is in NHL next yr
book it

Would have been up this year if not for that shoulder injury setting him back. Would have been nice to have his type of shot for these playoffs

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
According to general manager Jim Rutherford, Sprong will be on the 23-man roster for Pittsburgh next season, Josh Getzoff of PensTV reports.

Much deserved.

Hopefully they have him in a top 6, or at least top 9 role.

Reactions: 99664987

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
According to general manager Jim Rutherford, Sprong will be on the 23-man roster for Pittsburgh next season, Josh Getzoff of PensTV reports.

Much deserved.

Hopefully they have him in a top 6, or at least top 9 role.

its top 6 or top 9 with at minimum 2nd line PP time

needs minimum to start 11-12 minutes ice and targeting 16-17 min minimum

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
has a 24 month window to prove it at nhl level and 200 foot game
has the skills and should but who knows at this point

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
So much promise, tremendous year last year in the AHL, worked on his two-way play, and a one way contract this year. We all thought he would be playing with Sidney and scoring on a regular basis. 3 minutes of ice time last night, what is going on?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He has got 3 points in 7 games and is up with the big club. I don't know where the scoring with Crosby on a regular basis came from, but that seems like a ridiculously high standard for a 2nd round pick. I'd say he is doing great for his draft position.

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sullivan doesn't trust him. Speaking from experience, you can't expect a guy to look good or get anything going when he's spending 5 minutes of game time between shifts. You can't get into a rhythm and every shift it takes you 30 seconds to find your legs. Then guess what, time to change.

He spent a few games playing on Crosby's line last year and looked at the very least like a future top-6 guy for sure. This year he's buried and barely given any time and looks lost. It's not f***ing rocket science and it's amazing to me that people are wondering why he's playing poorly

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The coaches hate him, so he has no margin for error and is being asked to produce with 6 minutes a night, almost entirely with the fourth line. Given the roster there's little chance of him being able to leap-frog players ahead of him without injuries and the fact that he's waiver eligible means that sending him down isn't an option.

It's a terrible situation that's going to result in him being traded for a nickel on the dollar before he's able to get a real chance with another team. When you set up a player to fail, he's almost certainly going to do so. The second he makes a mistake he isn't given a chance to learn from it, he's just stapled to the bench and forgotten about.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I remember there were people who actually think he was better than Meier in their draft year.Lol.
For me, he’s too slow. He can barely keep up with other Pens forwards and his hockey sense is pretty average to bad and it certainly can’t make up for his lack of speed. If you can’t skate, no way you can play with Malkin/Crosby.
Also, Pens have plenty of players in the organization that are projected to be bottom six wingers. I don’t see Sprong has a future with the Pens tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->