RW Daniel Sprong (2015, 46th, PIT; traded to ANA)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I would actually say Sprong has better hands than Drouin, but IQ I would have to agree with you.

Sprong has great hands, but no he does not have better than Drouin. Drouin has the best hands of anyone in the Q I have ever seen. I watched them both in their Q career and it isn't close. Which is saying something because Sprong has some great hands.

The only players I would say are above Drouin in the world in terms of puck control are Malkin, Kane and McDavid. Obviously Datsyuk if we are counting him. It was (and still is) something to marvel at when he decides to take the puck on a string.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Sprong has great hands, but no he does not have better than Drouin. Drouin has the best hands of anyone in the Q I have ever seen. I watched them both in their Q career and it isn't close. Which is saying something because Sprong has some great hands.

The only players I would say are above Drouin in the world in terms of puck control are Malkin, Kane and McDavid. Obviously Datsyuk if we are counting him. It was (and still is) something to marvel at when he decides to take the puck on a string.

That's fair. They both are absolutely electric in their own right.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The kid was NHL ready last year so it makes complete sense he is currently dominating. He is a man playing in a boys league, it isn't even fair.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
The kid was NHL ready last year so it makes complete sense he is currently dominating. He is a man playing in a boys league, it isn't even fair.

And improving at a pace I've never seen before last 4 games 1g 2g 3g 4g. But seriously he looks insanely big and strong and fast compared to his competition. It looks like just knows he can blow the puck these goalies so he takes his time. Hopefully he'll need to push a little harder in the playoffs so he actually gets something out of this year. He looks great but he definitely looks like he's physically to the point where he'll look good even if he plays bad in Jr. On the plus side, he is coming off a major shoulder injury some maybe it's better that he'll get an extra few months before he has to start playing against men.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And improving at a pace I've never seen before last 4 games 1g 2g 3g 4g. But seriously he looks insanely big and strong and fast compared to his competition. It looks like just knows he can blow the puck these goalies so he takes his time. Hopefully he'll need to push a little harder in the playoffs so he actually gets something out of this year. He looks great but he definitely looks like he's physically to the point where he'll look good even if he plays bad in Jr. On the plus side, he is coming off a major shoulder injury some maybe it's better that he'll get an extra few months before he has to start playing against men.

Good post, I agree.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

'Big and strong'?? I was always under impression he was on the smaller side...but fast and super skilled
Whats his height and weight?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
'Big and strong'?? I was always under impression he was on the smaller side...but fast and super skilled
Whats his height and weight?

Maybe I should have said powerful instead of big and strong. The way he moves just makes him look physical mature then his opposition. He may not be that much taller and heavier than most players but it just looks like he's at a distinct advantage in strength and all around quickness. It looks like he knows it and the guys he's playing against know it too. He has a lot of time to operate because defenders aren't attacking him for fear that he's going to just blow right by them. Bare in my this is just my impression from following his highlights this year, I could be way off base.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Elite Prospects has him at 6'0" and 180, but he looks far bigger and stronger on the ice.

In his draft year (14-15) he came into Charlottetown's camp at 190, up from 170 the year before, according to Sprong himself.

almost 2 years later.. He's probably at least a little heavier, and certainly has a better body composition.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unfortunately, he's still just an overaged prospect that we could possibly add in a package to land a stalwart like Ben Hutton.

Kid is amazing, I can't believe he fell as far as he did because of some moronic rumors that some GM's bought and JR jumped on the opportunity to take the guy asap. His play away from the puck has improved a lot and this guy could make the team out of camp next year and stick, just a fantastic end to his season. Hopefully he goes all the way with his team before he joins WBS.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Unfortunately, he's still just an overaged prospect that we could possibly add in a package to land a stalwart like Ben Hutton.

Kid is amazing, I can't believe he fell as far as he did because of some moronic rumors that some GM's bought and JR jumped on the opportunity to take the guy asap. His play away from the puck has improved a lot and this guy could make the team out of camp next year and stick, just a fantastic end to his season. Hopefully he goes all the way with his team before he joins WBS.

Do you mean the moronic rumors of his attitude? Because those are very real. As someone who has watched and been around him for years now, i can confirm the attitude and selfishness is real.

His play has improved I'll give ya that part though

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I hope he will set a trend in Holland for more people to play ice hockey here. Would be great to see more Dutch prospects in Canada and the USA.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
the biggest challenge for him will not be skill or technique

it will be the mental side; first few years in nhl when ice time: goals ; powerplay time that will not come as an automatic and the mental patience with that required

when you are used to being the central offensive talent for the last 10 years and that changes overnight

QC4TheWin

Mar 4, 2011
Anybody saw Srpong playing recently ?
Did he play well? because he seem to be in a real slump these day..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He had a really hot start to the season and has cooled down recently. His overall stats on the year are good though, so I'm not all that worried.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I remember watching him slice through the Red Wings during a preseason game when he was 18. You could see then, even though he looked like he was 150 pounds, that he was a player.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Last night against Islies he played 1st line with Crosby and scored 2 goals.

I didn’t catch much of the game because of the WJC but by gawd did he look good in what I did see. Smart, powerful, fast, confident and creative with the puck and willing to shoot the damn biscuit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad