RW Daniel Sprong (2015, 46th, PIT; traded to ANA)

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
He has looked ALOT better the last week or so. Using his size and team mates alot more. Back checking more. Even has had some PK time (didnt look great on it, but thats another story for another time). Now I'm not sure if this was a factor in his change of play or not but Mark Recchi watched 3 or 4 straight games of his the last few weeks. So itll be interesting to see if he was just putting on a show or if hes finally changed for the better.

Ive been one of his biggest critics since his draft year, and ive been happily surprised with his play as of late.

More, edguy, more. Please :).

Nothing better than critical evaluations from someone actually watching him.
Current numbers accumulation could threaten to make us Pens fans who do not have a chance to actually see him... well, we could overdo it.... as the current pace is out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He's destroying the Q right now.

Yup he is doing well. Playing with really talented line mates too which do help inflate the numbers a bit (Beauchemin and Dostie). On Daniel's line the mentality is Usually get the puck to Sprong, so that definitely helps

But regardless the kid has been great as of late, my personal predictions for him is a speedy 2nd line guy in his prime, similar to a Hagelin with more offensive upside

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Yup he is doing well. Playing with really talented line mates too which do help inflate the numbers a bit (Beauchemin and Dostie). On Daniel's line the mentality is Usually get the puck to Sprong, so that definitely helps

But regardless the kid has been great as of late, my personal predictions for him is a speedy 2nd line guy in his prime, similar to a Hagelin with more offensive upside

if he does not break the big club next year
is he eligeable for ahl or must return to junior ?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'd expect Sprong to be utilized next season in the way Guentzel was this year. Start out in the AHL until he forces the Penguins hand.

I'm just thrilled with what he's doing in the Q one way or another right now...given the injury he's coming off of I wasn't expecting much of anything from him this year, I'd written it off as a lost year of development.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Been watching him here and there since the beginning of his shortened season and the better linemates via trades has certainly helped him get more scoring opporunities.
Always had the NHL shot and speed.

C'Town is going for it this year and there is a buy in from not just the team but Sprong to be better in all areas of his game. Back check, being more physical and positionally sound in his own end. All that good stuff.

He's in a good situation right now that'll help him prepare for next step.

If Saint John/C'Town eventually meet, it'll be a dandy of a series.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The descriptions (both positive and negative) remind me a lot of Drouin.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
2G-3A after 2 periods tonight. Ridiculous.

Just to temper things a bit, Moncton is last in the league and had given up 70 more goals than the next worst club. Charlottetown blitzed them for 11 goals a few weeks back.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Just to temper things a bit, Moncton is last in the league and had given up 70 more goals than the next worst club. Charlottetown blitzed them for 11 goals a few weeks back.

I know, just thought i'd give an update. He's still been putting up a ton of points lately though.

Let me be happy :laugh:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

It's funny when ever you hear of prospect having a night like this......90% chance it is against Moncton.

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
What an unbelievable player. He's been getting better constantly since coming back from the injury, an absolute force with a very average surrounding cast. This kid is gonna force us to pick between Kessel and Hornqvist before very long.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
What an unbelievable player. He's been getting better constantly since coming back from the injury, an absolute force with a very average surrounding cast. This kid is gonna force us to pick between Kessel and Hornqvist before very long.
average surrounding cast ???
you have no clue what your saying

pei best team in years...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
and with all due respect( and i like sprong) still has allot of work especially on D part of the game and doing his part on anything related and close the the " boards"

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
30goals 20assists in 26 games. Those are big numbers. I hope he becomes our version of Drouin.

Different type of player, Sprong does not have the IQ or hands of Drouin, he's still very skilled though. His shot is better, but he is certainly more a goal scorer than a playmaker.

He's the type of player who says "my goal is to score 50 this year" which he said heading into his draft year I believe. Very confident player with the ability to back it up.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Different type of player, Sprong does not have the IQ or hands of Drouin, he's still very skilled though. His shot is better, but he is certainly more a goal scorer than a playmaker.

He's the type of player who says "my goal is to score 50 this year" which he said heading into his draft year I believe. Very confident player with the ability to back it up.

I would actually say Sprong has better hands than Drouin, but IQ I would have to agree with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->