RW Daniel Sprong (2015, 46th, PIT; traded to ANA)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Second on his team in scoring as a 16 yr old rookie currently and second in rookie scoring behind Nikolaj Ehlers. He's also only went 4/15 games without recording a point so safe to say its been a pretty incredible start for Sprong and he has exceeded many expectations. Is there any indication as to what country he leaning towards representing internationally? Also how does he compare to fellow 2015 prospects such as Nathan Noel and Mathew Barzal?

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Watched him tonight vs Halifax and he was very impressive. He seems to have developed some nice chemistry with linemates Kameron Kielly and Jack Nevins. Sprong is a real high octane offensive player. He uses his speed to create space for himself on the outside, and is not afraid to put his shot on net. The puck comes off his stick quickly and accurately. Once he adds more strength, he's going to be a force in this league.

As for how he compares to Barzal and Noel, I would have to say he's not on Barzal's level (but then again, few are). I currently have Noel slightly ahead of Sprong at this point. Still, Sprong has impressed me, and the way he's carrying the load offensively for his team this early is a great sign.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He's amazing. All out offensive player, all the time. Speed to boot. Lots of confidence. He's a real offensive threat everytime he touches the ices.

If he keeps on going, that's yet another potential 1st rounder for 2015.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
He's amazing. All out offensive player, all the time. Speed to boot. Lots of confidence. He's a real offensive threat everytime he touches the ices.

If he keeps on going, that's yet another potential 1st rounder for 2015.

Absolutely how i feel. He plays the game with so much confidence on the ice, never hesitates at any moment to make the small or big play. Im not sure he will be a first rounder, but I have only watched a limited number of games.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Next to McDavid and Barzal, I thought Sprong was the best player on the ice at the 2012 All-Canadian game. Not surprised at all he's having such a strong start to his rookie season.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Wasn't a fan of him for a while but he's growing on me. Watched the game on Eastlink. It'll take some more viewings before I buy what he's selling but I'm getting there.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
are you sure because he is not considered a euro on our team, our euros are beran and sedlar

Neither is Liam Stewart on Spokane and he only holds passports for England & New Zealand. The QMJHL, WHL, OHL draft rules have nothing to do with citizenship. If you play multiple years of minor hockey in NA you're draft eligible. Example: Sarnia sting first round pick Nikita Korostelev. From what I know he's not a Canadian

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It would be freakin awesome if this guy actually played for Netherlands, but sadly I don't really see it. Lets hope he pulls a Zubrus and decide that Holland needs him more than Canada.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It would be freakin awesome if this guy actually played for Netherlands, but sadly I don't really see it. Lets hope he pulls a Zubrus and decide that Holland needs him more than Canada.

As badass as it'd be, if/when he gets to the NHL he'd never get to play with them unless he left his NHL season early and never makes the playoffs :laugh:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Only seen him three times this season but each game he was very, very impressive. Does things with the puck that aren't just junior hockey plays, it's the kind of stuff that will translate to the NHL.

By this time next year, everyone will know about Sprong because he is a highlight reel kind of player. His offensive ceiling is pretty much unlimited at this point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As badass as it'd be, if/when he gets to the NHL he'd never get to play with them unless he left his NHL season early and never makes the playoffs :laugh:

Of course, but you know every place has to start somewhere!

The real question AT, if you know this. Are his parents actually Dutch and moved to Canada like Wolski's, or are they Canadian that lived in Netherlands like Sean Day with Belgium? If they are Dutch, I can actually see him play for Netherlands.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
That is why I asked the question . I read many times of the situation but never fully understood it.
Did he decline the under 17?
Is there other reasons.
He's not a citizen, so he's not eligible.
Even though the U17 is just a Hockey Canada tournament rather than a IIHF one, they still require citizenship and that's likely so that players can be moved on to higher levels (as the tournament itself is used as a tool to help identify players for U18).

that's a question i never understood myself. I know he was planning on going down to the states to play before ultimately choosing PEI maybe that was a factor im not sure
He went to the US after he ripped up Bantam AA and they wouldn't surclass him.
Not sure he was ever planning on going back though, he always seemed to be planning on the Q route.

are you sure because he is not considered a euro on our team, our euros are beran and sedlar
He's not considered an import because he met residency requirements to go through the midget draft.
That basically entails proving that you're not trying to manipulate territorial restrictions (say a Q territory kid moves to Ontario and wants to go to the OHL instead, he and his family have to have a legitimate reason such as moving due to employment and have to make the move prior to the draft year) or if you're a European player, that you've lived and played within the league's territory for a number of years with a parent or guardian and thus your development should be treated the same way as any other kind in the territory.
He's lived in Montréal since 2005 IIRC, so those requirements were easy for him to meet.

The same situation will happen again this year in the Q with Jean Gleizes.
He's French, but will not be considered an import player as he's played in Québec for years.

Of course, but you know every place has to start somewhere!

The real question AT, if you know this. Are his parents actually Dutch and moved to Canada like Wolski's, or are they Canadian that lived Netherlands like Sean Day with Belgium? If they are Dutch, I can actually see him play for Netherlands.
His dad is Dutch and played and coached for the Netherlands.

Hannie Sprong played on and coached the Dutch national team and was a general manager of a hockey team.

The younger Sprong played with players nearly twice his age when he was five years old and played in tournaments in Montreal and Finland.

The family took a trainer’s suggestion to come to Canada and let Sprong play summer hockey when he was seven years old.

“We just decided to stay here because we fell in love with Canada,” he said.
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/2013-06-10/article-3272797/Islanders-bring-in-firepower/1

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The same situation will happen again this year in the Q with Jean Gleizes.
He's French, but will not be considered an import player as he's played in Québec for years.
What is the main difference between Jean Gelizes and Xavier Ouellet (if there is one)???

JFB, you're pretty on top of things when it comes to nationalities, which country do you think he will represent? Or is it too earlier for an answer?

E: Wow it sounds like he will actually play for Netherlands (based on that article). :amazed:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
What is the main difference between Jean Gelizes and Xavier Ouellet (if there is one)???
Well, kids like Ouellet, Poudrier, Rioux, etc. all had Canadian fathers.

As far as I can tell, Gleizes does not.
From what I know, his father owns an artificial ice company in France (if you put his name in Google, you'll notice that in some of the Youtube videos it looks like he's skating in bizarre places like a house and that's the artificial ice) so they are probably well off and have the money to move him over to Québec and then Ontario.

JFB, you're pretty on top of things when it comes to nationalities, which country do you think he will represent? Or is it too earlier for an answer?

E: Wow it sounds like he will actually play for Netherlands (based on that article). :amazed:
No idea, I thought he was going to play for Québec at the U17 as they had him on the preliminary roster and was surprised that he wasn't on the final one.
I had heard that Hockey Canada was very interested in getting him eligible, but we'll probably have to wait until the Hlinka camp to see what comes of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->