RW/C Vitalii Abramov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2016, 65th, CBJ; traded to OTT)

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Such an under appreciated prospect, especially by even my own fellow Sens fans :(

Every time I see this kid play (which was a lot last season), hes making a positive impact on the ice. And I almost guarantee hes going to be put on a good line in the NHL one day, and never look back. Hes a smart player that will thrive with even better linemates and more minutes.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Such an under appreciated prospect, especially by even my own fellow Sens fans :(

Every time I see this kid play (which was a lot last season), hes making a positive impact on the ice. And I almost guarantee hes going to be put on a good line in the NHL one day, and never look back. Hes a smart player that will thrive with even better linemates and more minutes.
The problem is age. He is 22 by now. He is on the clock to show he can be more than a minor league player.

Reactions: vorky

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
The problem is age. He is 22 by now. He is on the clock to show he can be more than a minor league player.
That is garbage. Almost all the Senators prospects have spent 2+ years in the minors even though they may not have needed it. Hopefully L Brown, Batherson, Abramov and Norris get time on a scoring line this season.

Reactions: bert

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

That is garbage. Almost all the Senators prospects have spent 2+ years in the minors even though they may not have needed it. Hopefully L Brown, Batherson, Abramov and Norris get time on a scoring line this season.
Abramov will be an NHLer but he still needs work. I would let him dominate the AHL and lead the team offensively and pray that Seattle doesn’t select him. He is NHL quality in many ways, but his decision making is too unrefined still and his defensive zone play is
a mess at times. Not always, but enough that it would make him very tough to trust at the NHL level.

Huge fan of his skill set but he is still a work in progress. If he was a little faster I’d be semi-confident projecting him as a legit star but, one way or another, I see him being a good NHLer.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I hear that too often.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Noticed he has only played in 8 Liiga games despite being loaned out awhile ago. What is the reason for this, has he been injured?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Noticed he has only played in 8 Liiga games despite being loaned out awhile ago. What is the reason for this, has he been injured?
He suffered an unspecified injury and hasn’t played since 11/28, and now he’s back in NA for Sens camp. If he doesn’t make the team it’s likely he’ll go back to Jukurit.

Reactions: wings5

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He suffered an unspecified injury and hasn’t played since 11/28, and now he’s back in NA for Sens camp. If he doesn’t make the team it’s likely he’ll go back to Jukurit.

If the AHL is playing I doubt he leaves this season. If Abramov wants to make the NHL asap, its a no brainer decision for him. The things hes missing in his game (playing at both ends of the rink and winning puck battles against strong players) are better learned in the AHL, imo.

Depending on who you ask, there could be anywhere from 2-4 forward spots available for some young guns on the Sens roster this season. And Abramov should have a bit of a leg up in camp from his time playing in Europe this season.

But even if hes initially beat out in camp by some combo of Stutzle/Batherson/Norris/Brown/Formenton/Balcers - hes likely the next guy up at that point. Which means hes only a few injuries/covid cases/underperformers away from getting into some NHL games this season - and otherwise getting top minutes and talented line mates in the AHL.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If the AHL is playing I doubt he leaves this season. If Abramov wants to make the NHL asap, its a no brainer decision for him. The things hes missing in his game (playing at both ends of the rink and winning puck battles against strong players) are better learned in the AHL, imo.

Depending on who you ask, there could be anywhere from 2-4 forward spots available for some young guns on the Sens roster this season. And Abramov should have a bit of a leg up in camp from his time playing in Europe this season.

But even if hes initially beat out in camp by some combo of Stutzle/Batherson/Norris/Brown/Formenton/Balcers - hes likely the next guy up at that point. Which means hes only a few injuries/covid cases/underperformers away from getting into some NHL games this season - and otherwise getting top minutes and talented line mates in the AHL.

Apparently there has been some discussion between Ottawa and Jukurit regarding sending him back:
“Naturally, we hope that he will get a place in the NHL, but, if that doesn’t happen, we’ll have to (think) seriously (about bringing him back) for the rest of the season,” Mikkel GM Jukka Holtar said in a statement. “We’ve been in regular contact with Ottawa and have been very pleased. It’s known there the activities here are of high quality, and for them Jukurit is one of the absolute options.”

I think Abramov will be hard pressed to make the roster and, while he may get a call-up, a full season with Jukurit may be better than a situation where he sits for a month and then joins the B-Sens in early February (as a best case scenario). Abramov is probably in our 16-19 range amongst forwards right now... I'd prioritize development over opportunity, and I see a strong case as to why Jukurit is the best development opportunity for the 2020-2021 season

Reactions: slumpy43

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Apparently there has been some discussion between Ottawa and Jukurit regarding sending him back:
“Naturally, we hope that he will get a place in the NHL, but, if that doesn’t happen, we’ll have to (think) seriously (about bringing him back) for the rest of the season,” Mikkel GM Jukka Holtar said in a statement. “We’ve been in regular contact with Ottawa and have been very pleased. It’s known there the activities here are of high quality, and for them Jukurit is one of the absolute options.”

I think Abramov will be hard pressed to make the roster and, while he may get a call-up, a full season with Jukurit may be better than a situation where he sits for a month and then joins the B-Sens in early February (as a best case scenario). Abramov is probably in our 16-19 range amongst forwards right now... I'd prioritize development over opportunity, and I see a strong case as to why Jukurit is the best development opportunity for the 2020-2021 season

Is this the last year of Abramov's waiver exemption?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Jukurit has been horrible this year. I don't know about that being his best development opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->