RW/C Ruslan Iskhakov (2018, 63rd, NYI)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Really said to hear/see. I hope Iskhakov is able to recover fully and quickly (as in no lingering symptoms for someone this young).

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You can view the hit from Chris Peter’s account. Watching it leaves you with a bad feeling in your stomach.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dumb hit. The guy was charging and followed through. He also didn't hit him straight on, which I think made it worse. The defenseman could've avoided the hit.

Give the guy a couple games suspension. This should be similar to what happened with Pettersson. It wasn't the most egregious initial hit you'll see, but it was so unnecessary and looked to be for effect. Skill players should get the benefit of the doubt. Those who go for dumb hits like this shouldn't.

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
Dumb hit. The guy was charging and followed through. He also didn't hit him straight on, which I think made it worse. The defenseman could've avoided the hit.

Give the guy a couple games suspension. This should be similar to what happened with Pettersson. It wasn't the most egregious initial hit you'll see, but it was so unnecessary and looked to be for effect. Skill players should get the benefit of the doubt. Those who go for dumb hits like this shouldn't.

What on earth are you talking about? Any hit can be "avoided". I hope hes okay and I even wanted the Sabres to draft him but he had the puck and the D glided into him with his feet on the ice. That was a clean hit with a bad outcome.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What on earth are you talking about? Any hit can be "avoided". I hope hes okay and I even wanted the Sabres to draft him but he had the puck and the D glided into him with his feet on the ice. That was a clean hit with a bad outcome.

Take a look at another angle. That video above doesn't show a good replay of the hit. Feet were off the ground. He sees a player with his head down, and he kind of comes from the side. Completely unnecessary hit to begin with, and it was not a clean hockey play.

I think the worse part here was how unnecessary it was. I think a penalty should've been called, but I've seen plays that violated the rules way more than this guy did. What he did, like Matheson, was he made a completely unnecessary play that very well could've, and did, injure a skill player. These leagues have to make sure players know that if they make these dumb hits on skill players to try to show they are boss, they'll be suspended.

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
Take a look at another angle. That video above doesn't show a good replay of the hit. Feet were off the ground. He sees a player with his head down, and he kind of comes from the side. Completely unnecessary hit to begin with, and it was not a clean hockey play.

I think the worse part here was how unnecessary it was. I think a penalty should've been called, but I've seen plays that violated the rules way more than this guy did. What he did, like Matheson, was he made a completely unnecessary play that very well could've, and did, injure a skill player. These leagues have to make sure players know that if they make these dumb hits on skill players to try to show they are boss, they'll be suspended.

His feet are on the ground they come off after he makes contact. So you're saying you can cut into the middle of the ice with your head down and because you got mad skills you shouldn't be hit? Hockey might not be for you. Matheson has nothing to do with this not sure why you bring him up.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

It was a clean hit with a terrible outcome. The sad state of affairs is a player of Ishakov's size, who plays the way he plays runs the risk of putting himself in danger simply due to physics. It's one of the things I've always worried about with smaller players who weave in and out of the trees, like a Gaudreau.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As a NYI fan, I'm not too worried about discipline in college hockey, where things are much better than they are in the pros. I am concerned that Ishakov cut to the middle 1 on 3. Dirty hit or not, that's not the path to a long career.

Reactions: Zine and thedonger

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

You cant just “protect” skilled players. A skilled player should know cutting across the middle with your head down, 1 on 3, is not going to be a pretty outcome. The hit looks worse because of the size difference. Its unfortunate he got hurt and wish him a speedy recovery.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
as dan-o said above, i think most isles fans are in the same boat in thinking that the hit wasn't necessarily dirty and that he can't be cutting to the middle with his head down.

Reactions: SI90

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
as dan-o said above, i think most isles fans are in the same boat in thinking that the hit wasn't necessarily dirty and that he can't be cutting to the middle with his head down.
welcome to North America, kid will learn and adapt..he is a stud on skates!! praise be to Jebus he is ok!

blindpass

May 7, 2010

For better or worse football is penalizing hitting defenseless players now. I think probably for the better and we'll see the same change in hockey. For sure players need to be aware and avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations but I don't think a failure to do that gives license to their opponents to make a play that has a significant risk of doing permanent harm. There has to be some onus on players not to make a dangerous play. You can still hit a guy with his head down, but lining up a high speed head on collision like this shouldn't be ok.

I can guess what the reaction these ideas will be. If you think I'm wrong I don't think you've understood the severe consequences of concussions or how public opinion is trending on the issue (outside of the macho "just keep your head up" culture).

Reactions: isthatso

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad