RW/C Ruslan Iskhakov (2018, 63rd, NYI)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I rarely create threads here, but when I do... this time it's about one of this year's first-year draft eligible prospects Ruslan Iskhakov. Iskhakov is a small kid (5'8" or even 5'7" depending on the source) that plays mostly RW and C. Those who might know me here for some time might have noticed that I'm usually not very excited about undersized prospects, but this time it was impossible for me not to become a fan of this kid: elite hands (I mean it) and, judging by what I've seen from him so far, there is some high-end hockey IQ. Skating and finishing are a bit average, and physicality for obvious reasons is an issue, but still I'm too impressed with his strengths that I've listed above.

Iskhakov is playing for Krasnaya Armiya Moscow in the MHL and has now 6G+13A in 24 games played, which are solid stats, since his team is always stacked with talent. Always very noticeable for Russia U18 NT and, in my opinion, he was the second best player on the team both on Hlinka's Memorial and WJAC tournaments, always generating some top-quality offense.

Eliteprospects link: Ruslan Iskhakov

So, let's discuss..?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's managed to catch my eye in every tournament that I've watched him. He's very skilled. I don't have a very strong opinion about him beyond the observation that he has some serious moves.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That's gotta be wrong. I just watched some of his game from today. Seems pretty 5'7-5'8ish to me.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Even with that size, it's a lot easier for shorter players to get faster in comparison to taller players. With that IQ and skill, you bank on his skating rapidly improving. Talent is clearly there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wonder if he could grow a bit, he does seem like he has some Datsyuk to him.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I wonder if he could grow a bit, he does seem like he has some Datsyuk to him.

Yeah, that assist and also the shootout move that I've posted in the second post, kind of hard for me not to make this comparison too, although I usually really try to avoid this kind of comparisons.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I watched him in Plymouth vs. Sweden. He definitely stood out. The kid can fly and seems to have good hockey IQ. Agree with others, he's small at maybe 5'8". I really liked his game.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
He is not taller than 5'7. And damn from slovak u18 league to the most productive player in russian u18 team? I remember getting up earlier just to go watch him every time he came to my city :D

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He is not taller than 5'7. And damn from slovak u18 league to the most productive player in russian u18 team? I remember getting up earlier just to go watch him every time he came to my city :D

In Slovakia he was measured at 172 cm, which is 5'7.7". In MHL he is measured at 170 cm (5'6.9"), but as I've already mentioned it in another thread, this season I totally can't trust MHL's mearements.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I thought he was playing a typical Russian game at the U18 5 nations, will probably become a very good KHLer but from what Ive seen, I would be surprised to see him have much of a Nhl carreer...

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I thought he was playing a typical Russian game at the U18 5 nations, will probably become a very good KHLer but from what Ive seen, I would be surprised to see him have much of a Nhl carreer...

Apparently NHL scouts liked him though, I even heard some talks about the second round. But yeah, NHL game nowadays actually has quite some similarities to a typical Russian game (although analysts usually call that kind of game style more like a typical Soviet game, meaning the style Tikhonov's Red Machine was playing).

Reactions: Ebbisen

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Apparently NHL scouts liked him though, I even heard some talks about the second round. But yeah, NHL game nowadays actually has quite some similarities to a typical Russian game (although analysts usually call that kind of game style more like a typical Soviet game, meaning the style Tikhonov's Red Machine was playing).

2nd round? Well that sucks. Was kinda hoping he was still under the radar, or even small player syndrome.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
2nd round? Well that sucks. Was kinda hoping he was still under the radar, or even small player syndrome.

Well, I'm not saying that he will definitely get selected that high, that's just what I was messaged by a person, who had been at the 5Nations, although it might mean that just some scout is very high on him, not everyone, so yeah, take it with a grain of salt (not to mention that there is still enough time for his draft stock to fall). But yes, I think that the 'under the radar' thing isn't about him anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad