RW/C Ruslan Iskhakov (2018, 63rd, NYI)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Well, I'm not saying that he will definitely get selected that high, that's just what I was messaged by a person, who had been at the 5Nations, although it might mean that just some scout is very high on him, not everyone, so yeah, take it with a grain of salt (not to mention that there is still enough time for his draft stock to fall). But yes, I think that the 'under the radar' thing isn't about him anymore.

From what I saw, and I watched him specifically every time he was on the ice - was showing good traits for a small skilled guy. Bigger guys were taking runs at him but he didnt shy away, he was very aggressive going into traffic and the hard areas of the ice. The DRW scouting staff was complaining and in wonderment as to why he wasnt getting PP time, thats all I heard from them.

He was much better than another small guy -Zhabreyev, who was not very noticeable - maybe shied away due to the rougher game. I think Iskhakovs game translates to the NHL

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I rarely create threads here, but when I do... this time it's about one of this year's first-year draft eligible prospects Ruslan Iskhakov. Iskhakov is a small kid (5'8" or even 5'7" depending on the source) that plays mostly RW and C.

Do we have a source that establishes whether he projects as a center or if he plays significantly more center than RW?

Why is it we see some Russians' positions designated simply as "forward" when you look up the player, they don't even break it down as you have? Even the link you provided just says he plays "F".

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Do we have a source that establishes whether he projects as a center or if he plays significantly more center than RW?

Why is it we see some Russians' positions designated simply as "forward" when you look up the player, they don't even break it down as you have? Even the link you provided just says he plays "F".

I don't have any source,as that is not a common interview question, but since he started season at C and then rather quickly switched to RW and played there the vast majority of games, it's not too hard to guess at which position he currently projects himself.

About the positions, KHL/VHL/MHL websites usually just distinguishes FW/D/GK positions, as forwards tend to switch positions over time and/or play multiple positions. Eliteprospects frequently just take data from there. It's actually not a bad approach comparing to CHLs frequently being more specific, but listing players at incorrect positions.

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
I think the kid is the real deal. I first noticed him at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. I had never heard of him but every time he was on the ice he made something happen. What impressed me was his elusiveness and he wasn't scared to go into the tough areas. He is tiny obviously (he looks almost hilariously small on the ice), but the things he struggles with could be remedied with more strength, while the things he excels at (insane hands and hockey iq) you can't teach. Could be a real steal in the mid to late rounds.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

UConn amassing quite the interesting roster

I kind of doubt that rumor at least because I doubt Iskhakov is eligible for NCAA (as he is under contract with KHL team and is getting paid for playing hockey, it's hard to consider him as an amateur). Not to mention that 3 months ago he told in an interview that he is not going anywhere for now, as he is contracted until 2020.

Btw, Bob McKenzie has Iskhakov at #87 in his scout poll.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I kind of doubt that rumor at least because I doubt Iskhakov is eligible for NCAA (as he is under contract with KHL team and is getting paid for playing hockey, it's hard to consider him as an amateur). Not to mention that 3 months ago he told in an interview that he is not going anywhere for now, as he is contracted until 2020.

Btw, Bob McKenzie has Iskhakov at #87 in his scout poll.

I thought he had signed a KHL deal as well but then wasn't sure once I saw this.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From twitter discussions I understood that NCAA is indeed not that strict towards European guys and it will allow Iskhakov to be eligible even though he was getting paid this season. Still he will need to get out of the current contract first.

Reactions: SI90 and ds4130

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The fact that he is coming to North America to play at UConn is encouraging. It'll be interesting to see how he plays as a freshman. While he may not grow much in terms of height, he can still put on a lot of lower body strength, combine that with high IQ and great skill and he could make it.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Saw this kid at the under 18 and was really impressed. I didn't think he would go as high as he did but apparently he was rising up draft boards. This kid has awesome skill.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
2 points(goal and assist in his first college game)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Edited your post to put a better quality gif tweet there, hope you don't mind. :)

Edit.: Ooops, just as I was doing it, another poster above also posted it, I'll just remove it from your post.

No problem, thanks to both for the better vid, the flash when he scored was a bit annoying

Anybody who saw the game do you know if he was playing RW or Center?

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
it is usually a good sign when a player transitions from European hockey to NCAA hockey and does well right away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad