RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Pressure has melted him. I don't think it's jetlag. He has his own pressure and what audience gives to him.

There is nothing that suggests it's the pressure. It's not like he's expected to carry a bad team to the championship. What is clear instead is that he's lacking some of the core abilities that have made him the player he is today (strong skating and the ability to use his size to his advantage while carrying the puck).

He played tremendous hockey just a week ago. So there's basically two possibilities that are in play here: 1) he's been on a crazy long hot streak lasting for a few moths now and his great play does not actually represent his true capabilities; or 2) he needs some time adjusting to the new position he's been put in.

I go ahead and say it's the latter one.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He has been here under a week. 2 games with new linemates, new gamesystem and a bigger rink. You people need to calm down. Ristolainen played like **** in the beginning two years ago, how did that turn out to?

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
He has been here under a week. 2 games with new linemates, new gamesystem and a bigger rink. You people need to calm down. Ristolainen played like **** in the beginning two years ago, how did that turn out to?

That's a major overstatement, but he certainly didn't have the same poise early on as later in the tourney.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's a major overstatement, but he certainly didn't have the same poise early on as later in the tourney.

Well, I think his level of play compared to what people were expecting of him was quite bad. It's not like he was there costing games for us, but I think his performance versus hype was pretty much the same as it is with Rantanen now.

Rantanen has been playing terrific hockey this season in the AHL, so I have no doubt he will come around.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Well, I think his level of play compared to what people were expecting of him was quite bad. It's not like he was there costing games for us, but I think his performance versus hype was pretty much the same as it is with Rantanen now.

Rantanen has been playing terrific hockey this season in the AHL, so I have no doubt he will come around.

I thought Risto played merely "good" until he had to skip the last game in round robin due to flu. Had a weak game against Czech in QF, and was god-like against Canada and Sweden.

I remember people being very hard on him for his bad play after QF, but in the grand scheme of things he had played well throughout the tournament even coming into SF.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sure, Finland should send him back to the States, rofl. Embarrassing.

Jukka Jalonen and Finland won't do that.
Rantanen is going back to San Antonio after world juniors anyway.

Russia game was embarrassing for whole team.
But that's past and Slovakia game is new one show goes on as usual.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Pressure has melted him. I don't think it's jetlag. He has his own pressure and what audience gives to him.

What a load of crap, the kid who put TPS and Rampage on his back as an 18/19 year old is melting under pressure?

Do send him back, SA will gladly take his best playet (by far) back on their team.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't think it is. Ristolainen was probably worst defenceman for Finland at the first games. He was horrible IMO.

He was also sick when the WJCs began that year and injured for most of the month prior to it starting. It's a short tournament and not worth reading much into either way, especially since we're only a couple games into it, but Risto did have a valid excuse to start slow.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He was also sick when the WJCs began that year and injured for most of the month prior to it starting. It's a short tournament and not worth reading much into either way, especially since we're only a couple games into it, but Risto did have a valid excuse to start slow.

Well it doesen't matter anymore because after that he stepped up and started to dominate in the last two games of the tournament. I hope Rantanen has similar improvement in the tournament after rough start.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Well it doesen't matter anymore because after that he stepped up and started to dominate in the last two games of the tournament. I hope Rantanen has similar improvement in the tournament after rough start.

Rantanen just has to hope that there will be those last two games.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I believe in Rantanen. I think he will have a good game today as he is probably the guy who is most pissed up about his game thus far.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Much better these first 2 periods maybe all the jet lag and getting used to the big ice again wasn't so easy for him I don't know but I do know he is a great player and he won't be a bad player even if one tournament isn't perfect for him. All players go through rough times.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What a load of crap, the kid who put TPS and Rampage on his back as an 18/19 year old is melting under pressure?

Do send him back, SA will gladly take his best playet (by far) back on their team.

Pretty much, he can come back and go back to tearing it up and everyone ignoring him. I'm glad he's representing his country but what he does for the Avs organization is far more important.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Chill out. He was pretty good today, especially compared to earlier games.

Some Finnish posters here are so damn reactionary.... :help:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
1+1 today, 2 points. The difference of the game as Nylander and Puljuvari and Laine were off the scoresheet. Good timing for the Finns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad