RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He looks a tier below Nylander but should eventually develop into a solid 2nd liner near his peak.
No he doesn't. He looks better than Nylander at the same age, much better, and very likely will develop to be a better NHL player as well. Star potential. Nice try with the Nylander homerism.

I'm not even a Nucks fan but such obviously ignorant comments are irritating.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
No he doesn't. He looks better than Nylander at the same age, much better, and very likely will develop to be a better NHL player as well. Star potential. Nice try with the Nylander homerism.

You don't need to bother with those kinds of comments.. It's an obvious bait post. Only makes it worse when you respond.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson having a historic year is making people go full Pejorative Slur on here again.

TorontoIslander

Jan 11, 2018

It's not just about #s. I'm looking at NHL fit, projectable skills and areas for potential growth. Like I said, Pettersson is going to be a good player but Nylander is going to take the next step as soon as next season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Remember when a Boeser was flying under the radar except for Canucks fans?
Now I kinda hope the same for Pettersson (too late now) just so we can avoid all these trolling

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Go Google hockey league equivalency and then come back and laugh at how wrong you are about the AHL.
:laugh: 95% of the SHL couldn't even sniff the NHL in their lifetime while at least 25% of the AHL has or can. Good try.

Oh and while you're at it, let me know how many NHL drafted players are in the AHL compared to the SHL, thanks!

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Careful now, you dont want to upset the mob...

Well, of course he IS going to grow at least some, but when you look at his goals he often is pretty much left alone. Now he is a smart player and knows how to move to get into those spots. But its not for sure he'll always just be given that open space for free, in a tighter rink, would not hurt if he could gain uppet and lower body strength to power himself to a scoring situation too.

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Remember when a Boeser was flying under the radar except for Canucks fans?
Now I kinda hope the same for Pettersson (too late now) just so we can avoid all these trolling
Generally, I feel like it's better to have lowered expectations and be pleasantly surprised so I think it's fine for others to have a relatively low opinion of him despite his accomplishments.
However, he's consistently shattered every expectation or projection of him by everybody including himself so it wouldn't surprise me if he continued that trend.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He looks a tier below Nylander but should eventually develop into a solid 2nd liner near his peak.
A tier below Nylander he just absolutely destroyed Nylander’s draft 1 season.

Awful logic from someone who’s probably only watched him at the world juniors.

Also not sure how he can be a tier below Nylander and be a solid 2nd liner, that would mean he’s on the same tier as Nylander.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

This isn't true, like at all.

At age 18, Nylander had a better PPG in the SHL than Pettersson had in the Allsvenskan. Nylander also produced 16P in 7GP at the WJC, while Pettersson had 1P in 6GP at the same age.

Pettersson, as a late birthday, is in his 19YR old season. He is doing exceptionally well, but Nylander also did exceptionally well at 19. He had well over a PPG in the AHL. Given that he had a PPG in the SHL the year before, I would have expected him to put up similar numbers to Pettersson had he stayed in the SHL for his 19YR old season. Also Nylander outperformed Pettersson at the WJC again at age 19.

Nylander was absolutely on the same level as a prospect, and I'd argue he was a better prospect, given his speed and strength advantage.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

At age 18, Nylander had a better PPG in the SHL than Pettersson had in the Allsvenskan. Nylander also produced 16P in 7GP at the WJC, while Pettersson had 1P in 6GP at the same age.

Pettersson, as a late birthday, is in his 19YR old season. He is doing exceptionally well, but Nylander also did exceptionally well at 19. He had well over a PPG in the AHL. Given that he had a PPG in the SHL the year before, I would have expected him to put up similar numbers to Pettersson had he stayed in the SHL for his 19YR old season. Also Nylander outperformed Pettersson at the WJC again at age 19.

Nylander was absolutely on the same level as a prospect, and I'd argue he was a better prospect, given his speed and strength advantage.
So we’re going with age instead of D+1, okay then.
Nylander as at least on same level,we happy now

cc

Feb 28, 2002

I'm not sure about that. By that logic, Laine is clearly out producing Matthews when you compare equivalent age. Laine's current points would have to be compared to Matthews points last season. I think most people go by draft and draft +1 comparisons

Reactions: vanwest

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Dont understand the big nylander vs petterson debate. Comparable prospects at their given time.

However, if EP turned into having similar point production as Nylander as a center I still think that is a huge win for Vancouver. I would take him as a 65-70C anytime.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
:laugh: 95% of the SHL couldn't even sniff the NHL in their lifetime while at least 25% of the AHL has or can. Good try.

Oh and while you're at it, let me know how many NHL drafted players are in the AHL compared to the SHL, thanks!

The AHL might have more garbage depth players in the NHL, but more actual solid NHLers probably play in the SHL (relative to the amount of players in each league).

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
It's not just about #s. I'm looking at NHL fit, projectable skills and areas for potential growth. Like I said, Pettersson is going to be a good player but Nylander is going to take the next step as soon as next season.
Lmao, Pettersson is a helluva a better player than Nylander was at the same age. Nice try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->