RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Here's a good managerial question.
You leave in the AHL for a season to destroy a lesser league; and to not cost you points in a meaningless NHL season (Because I feel Pettersson will at worst be a 40-50 point offensive player this year)? Bring him up near the end to just get some NHL tastings; then leverage the team next year with your 2019 top 5 pick, Quinn Hughes and Olli Juolevi at the same time?

Essentially guard the kids from a year that'll be really long and hard; and instead have that big energy with them all coming together that first season (similar to a Toronto style approach) which could set the tone for the rest of their careers?

It worked well for the Leafs, but Nylander also wasn't quite as proven as Pettersson is now. So I think it was more justifiable to start Nylander in the AHL for his draft year +2 compared to Pettersson. If Pettersson starts in the NHL this season, he's widely considered to be a top top candidate for the Calder.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
If Pettersson starts in the NHL this season, he's widely considered to be a top top candidate for the Calder.
You seriously think pettersson starts in ahl? Even mittelstadt who has 0 points so far is making sabres.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
You leave in the AHL for a season to destroy a lesser league; and to not cost you points in a meaningless NHL season (Because I feel Pettersson will at worst be a 40-50 point offensive player this year)? Bring him up near the end to just get some NHL tastings; then leverage the team next year with your 2019 top 5 pick, Quinn Hughes and Olli Juolevi at the same time?

Essentially guard the kids from a year that'll be really long and hard; and instead have that big energy with them all coming together that first season (similar to a Toronto style approach) which could set the tone for the rest of their careers?
Pettersson is one of the most highly-touted D+2 prospects I can think of in recent memory. There is no chance he starts anywhere but the NHL. He'll be the Canucks' #1C by the end of the year.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
I imagine

Sven-Bo-Boeser
Eriksson-EP-Gagner (maybe Goldobin instead of Eriksson)

I've watched all three games. He is very good. Play a complete game. Fall a lot on the ice.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I imagine

Sven-Bo-Boeser
Eriksson-EP-Gagner (maybe Goldobin instead of Eriksson)

I've watched all three games. He is very good. Play a complete game. Fall a lot on the ice.

Stills fall a lot huh. My main/only complaint about him, but thats kind of a part of his game.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Stills fall a lot huh. My main/only complaint about him, but thats kind of a part of his game.
I mean, he's fairly tall, but he still weighs like 170. Give him a couple years to thicken up and he won't get tossed around so much.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Two problems, first the Canucks managing doesn't have the deftness to pull that off. When a prospect isn't NHL ready and has a choice to play else where they can't even convince them to come to Utica. You could also say that Boeser single handedly saved Benning's job last year, they need to be able to trot out a prospect like this on the pro team to convince fans/ownership that they're doing a good job.

Second and admittedly my Benning rant aside more relevant here is that Pettersson is a bit more advanced than Nylander was and would be much harder to hold back in the AHL for 2/3rds a season.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Remines me or the Sedins when they first came to Van. My friends and i would do shots on Saturday nights whenever a Sedin got pushed off the puck.

Eventually the Sedins became ridiculously strong and impossible to take off the puck and our Saturday nights became boring.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

???? wtf is this, so intentionally tank? how do yo burry a guy as good a he is in the AHL, you watched our pre season right? we have the bottom 5 spot already locked up with or without Pettersonn.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I mean, he's fairly tall, but he still weighs like 170. Give him a couple years to thicken up and he won't get tossed around so much.

It's ok, thank you for yoru concerns, if have actually seen him play him getting tossed around is the least of his issues.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
this dude is nasty. Saw his highlight where he made that guy drop the other day. Don't know if hockey or basketball crossover. jeez.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I couldn't believe what I saw out of the kid in the preseason. At both ends of the rink. Oozing skill, oozing IQ AND oozing work ethic and compete. The kid is going to have to lift this pathetic franchise on to his shoulders and it looks like he welcomes the task!

Had 6 points in 6 preseason games to lead a God awful team.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I couldn't believe what I saw out of the kid in the preseason. At both ends of the rink. Oozing skill, oozing IQ AND oozing work ethic and compete. The kid is going to have to lift this pathetic franchise on to his shoulders and it looks like he welcomes the task!

I think he only played 5 preseason games.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
"Elias Pettersson might not have a ceiling on what he can do!"

Brian Burke on Pettersson.

hopefully this explains why his nick name is "Alien" his moves are out of this world.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I think he pots 60 and the Calder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad