RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yes, absolutely. His frame doesn’t allow him to win those battles every time, but the willingness is definitely there. He is absolutely in the danger areas often.

I was impressed with him at C in these two games, although the comptetion level is very low, and the hockey is a bit of a mish mash. Still, he was very conscious of his defensive responsibilities, and broke up an odd man rush brilliantly in todays game. He didn’t get outmuscled often like he did last year, and very rarely fell on the ice.

The adjustment to the smaller ice is a big deal, but I thought he did really well. Dahlen was very impressive also, and might have been just as good as Elias in these two games. Very good chemistry between the two!

Better said that I could have. EP did say in his interview he needs to work be better at faceoffs.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Don’t forget about Quinn Hughes feeding them pucks. Good new core of younsters here, lets hope they exceed expectations... been a long road.

Gadjovich, Horvat, Gaudette up front too. Demko back in net.

Nucks need 1 more top 6 prospect and a top 2 d prospect and they're well on the way.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Gadjovich, Horvat, Gaudette up front too. Demko back in net.

Nucks need 1 more top 6 prospect and a top 2 d prospect and they're well on the way.

No they don't. Hughes/Juolevi/Tryamkin are a strong enough young D core to build around, they have an ample amount of forwards and young players. Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, and Gaudette are a high powered young core. Boeser is blossoming into a star and Pettersson is one of the best prospects in the world. You build a core of good 5-6 young players and then you surround them with good depth.

From next year on, Canucks should be looking into acquiring a top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman via free agency/trade to support the young core.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Love that the Canucks are starting him in the middle. I really think this will make the transition more difficult, but that is the spot for him within the organization. He takes pride in his two way game and I think he will be in tough to produce points in the middle at 5 on 5 this year. He should be able to eat off the half boards on PP1 to get his point production. It somewhat sheds light on why they blew their brains out on the beagle contract (not that it was a good idea). It looks like they will run a match-up line and then have another line to take defensive zone faceoffs if needed, opening up some soft minutes for Pettersson.

To the posters saying the Canucks should be switching out of the rebuild I disagree. This has been a half baked re-build from the start, and the reason your seeing some top flight talent is because the canucks have finished near the bottom of the league for 4 of the last 5 years I believe. They have some great young pieces, but they have a horrible cap structure and they need to still do some heavy lifting to be in a rebuild that would be sustainable.

Against popular opinion, I would actually support sending most of the kids on 2 way contracts to the AHL to begin the year unless they show that they could be an impact player at the NHL level in the preseason like boeser last year. Take advantage of their ability to pass through waivers, and let guys like granlud ganger etc take the slaughtering that will happen this year. It will also give them time to see if guys like goldobin can cut it at this level -- he got better has he got more games in a row last year. At x - mas moving into the deadline they can start unloading the ugliness and flip some guys at the deadline to give the young guys a final 20 game run.

Another top 5 pick in this draft, and some strategic moves and going into next years camp the canucks could legitimetley be on the upswing.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
No they don't. Hughes/Juolevi/Tryamkin are a strong enough young D core to build around, they have an ample amount of forwards and young players. Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, and Gaudette are a high powered young core. Boeser is blossoming into a star and Pettersson is one of the best prospects in the world. You build a core of good 5-6 young players and then you surround them with good depth.

From next year on, Canucks should be looking into acquiring a top 6 forward/top 4 defenceman via free agency/trade to support the young core.

Haven't heard if Tryamkin is back but all 3 of those are Left Handed d-men and there's nothing on the Right unless Rathbone is a player.

Still need 1 more top 6 IMO and a top 2 D that logs minutes as I don't believe that is Juolevi or Tryamkin.

I disagree on next year. Still a couple out. Demko is the key to me right now and how his season in Utica goes. Hoping for a huge year.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Haven't heard if Tryamkin is back but all 3 of those are Left Handed d-men and there's nothing on the Right unless Rathbone is a player.

Still need 1 more top 6 IMO and a top 2 D that logs minutes as I don't believe that is Juolevi or Tryamkin.

I disagree on next year. Still a couple out. Demko is the key to me right now and how his season in Utica goes. Hoping for a huge year.

Both Rathbone and Utunen shoot left. Woo may be the only interesting upcoming RD prospect, other than (perhaps) Tryamkin,
who shoots left but prefers the right side. Chatfield's also a RD, however useful he might or might not prove to be. The weakness
at RD is somewhat masked by the presence of Tanev, Stecher, Gudbranson, and Biega as RD veterans.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It makes sense for Canucks to sign Tyler Myers next season and roll with this defence:

Hughes-Myers
Juolevi-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Edler is a UFA. Id rather they get picks/prospect for him than re signing him.

I know he’s a UFA but he is still a very good defenceman and he loves Vancouver. Wouldn’t mind re-signing him to a cheaper contract and be a very serviceable 5th defenceman.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I thought Pettersson looked very good at the prospects games in Penticton. He needs to get stronger, and work on faceoffs, but that will all come with time. He will get pushed around a fair amount as a rookie this year. I think he makes the team out of camp as a winger, and progress from there. Long term, I can see him as a centre, but not yet.

There are a lot of ridiculous claims both positive and negative about him on these boards, as well as the "generational" debate. All of those aside, I do think EP is the real deal. He is not anywhere close to a finished product, but I think he can come in and score 25 goals, 50 points this year based on his shot alone. If he is getting top line minutes and PP time with Boeser and Horvats, he could blow those numbers away.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I thought Pettersson looked very good at the prospects games in Penticton. He needs to get stronger, and work on faceoffs, but that will all come with time. He will get pushed around a fair amount as a rookie this year. I think he makes the team out of camp as a winger, and progress from there. Long term, I can see him as a centre, but not yet.

There are a lot of ridiculous claims both positive and negative about him on these boards, as well as the "generational" debate. All of those aside, I do think EP is the real deal. He is not anywhere close to a finished product, but I think he can come in and score 25 goals, 50 points this year based on his shot alone. If he is getting top line minutes and PP time with Boeser and Horvats, he could blow those numbers away.

hard to get an honest response out of non canuck fans since Pettersson is a Canuck player. some fans are reluctant to give him any positive feedback because of the fact they don't want to acknowledge a Canuck prospect. Keep in mind, last year McDavid, Eichel also were not good on faceoffs, so yes I think it will come with time.

Dahlen is a better prospect than Gadjovich and maybe even Gaudette too.

there is a solid case for this, since Dhalen was actually named MVP in the mens leauge he was playing in last year, while doing it as a 20 year old.

Gaudette is named MVP in a college level leauge
Dhalen was named MVP in a mens pro leauge.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
there is a solid case for this, since Dhalen was actually named MVP in the mens leauge he was playing in last year, while doing it as a 20 year old.

This kind of thinking never made sense to me. Many mediocre players have been MVPs in professional leagues. It doesn't mean they become more likely to succeed than those that win awards in college or major junior.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Palmu was also the ROTY in Liiga last season.
hard to get an honest response out of non canuck fans since Pettersson is a Canuck player. some fans are reluctant to give him any positive feedback because of the fact they don't want to acknowledge a Canuck prospect. Keep in mind, last year McDavid, Eichel also were not good on faceoffs, so yes I think it will come with time.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This kind of thinking never made sense to me. Many mediocre players have been MVPs in professional leagues. It doesn't mean they become more likely to succeed than those that win awards in college or major junior.

there is a solid case for him to be ranked higher but it doesn't mean Gaudette might not be the better NHLer. that said Dhalen did stand out more then Gaudette at our prospects game.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Dahlen is great, but he was the MVP kind of a minor leauge to a minor leauge (compared to the NHL).

Allsvenskan/SHL got a lot of jrs on them since:

1) The Swe Jr leauges arent good enough for the top prospects. They develop better with senior hockey.
2) Allsvenskan teams specially is pretty low budget, and cant pay full pro salaries to the whole roster.

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Dahlen is great, but he was MVP kind of a minor leauge to a minor leauge (compared to the NHL).

Allsvenskan/SHL got a lot of jrs on them since:

1) The Swe Jr leauges arent good enough for the top prospects. They develop better with senior hockey.
2) Allsvenskan teams specially is pretty low budget, and cant pay full pro salaries to the whole roster.
And jesper bratt wad 0.5 ppg in allsvenskan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->