RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Carolina may not draft Russians (probably due to poor investment in scouting), but they are not averse to Russians. There have been many Russian Hurricanes over the years. Plus Svechnikov has plenty of NA exposure.

Correct, they do not have a Russian scout at all which I think is a mistake although Samsonov probably still does some scouting as well. But drafting Svechnikov will be a no-brainer, and he plays in North America so they will know all about him regardless of his passport.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
it's not even close, Svechnikov is the far superior prospect and every nhl team has him # 2 on their board.

his skating is an asset, not an issue. in the CHL top prospect testing, he finished 1st in the weave agility both with the puck and without. remarkable for such a huge guy to be so agile and have such quick feet. he destroyed Zadina in this regard, it wasn't even close.

in terms of overall skating, Svech finished 5th vs 31st for Zadina in overall skating grade at the top prospect game on ice tests.

Rusty8719

Feb 21, 2018
Haven't read this thread, so apologies up front, but I'm curious if anyone else sees Stamkos in his game. I know they play different positions but I think their pure goal scoring ability and ability to score in a number of ways, plus their physical makeup, it's the closest player comp for me. I think this kid has immediate NHL scoring qualities and can easily see him being a perennial 40 goal scorer beginning as early as year 2.

Reactions: Aho Mitakuye Oyasin

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Haven't read this thread, so apologies up front, but I'm curious if anyone else sees Stamkos in his game. I know they play different positions but I think their pure goal scoring ability and ability to score in a number of ways, plus their physical makeup, it's the closest player comp for me. I think this kid has immediate NHL scoring qualities and can easily see him being a perennial 40 goal scorer beginning as early as year 2.

I see a few players in him. Not really Stamkos, tbh but that's just me. Stamkos is more of a pure sharpshooter like a Laine or Ovechkin.

In Svechnikov, I see a bit of Tarasenko. Good shot and release and is dynamic enough to get himself into the high scoring areas where he can use that shot like Tarasenko. He's also great at using his quick feet and size/reach to drive the net ala Rick Nash. And in terms of overall dyanmic offensive player and making plays, maybe a bit of Kucherov as well.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I see a few players in him. Not really Stamkos, tbh but that's just me. Stamkos is more of a pure sharpshooter like a Laine or Ovechkin.

In Svechnikov, I see a bit of Tarasenko. Good shot and release and is dynamic enough to get himself into the high scoring areas where he can use that shot like Tarasenko. He's also great at using his quick feet and size/reach to drive the net ala Rick Nash. And in terms of overall dyanmic offensive player and making plays, maybe a bit of Kucherov as well.

Tarasenko and Hossa have been thrown around and they fit in various ways. Definitely a bit of Rick Nash (or Eric Cole as Canes fans see it) to his game. It was said on the Canes board and I definitely see it - Auston Matthews is a close stylistic comparison. 5v5 scorer who is dangerous from anywhere. Has the size/skill to make his own offense in transition and in the o-zone.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Can he break into the first line though? I though their connection was clicking well
Aho and Turbo have great chemistry, but we never really solidified the other winger on that line. My only question for Svech there is would he be ready for big boy pants minutes right away? I'm sure he'd play his way onto our top line sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Rusty8719

Feb 21, 2018

Svechnikov is in the mold of Stamkos/Laine/Ovi because he is a pure sharpshooter too. Guys like Tarasenko/Kucherov/Hall are a little different in their game. Of course they are elite players and goal scorers but the style is different in my eyes.

Maybe I'm a little blinded by my own impressions of the kid but I firmly believe he is the next truly elite goal scorer, more so than Laine. I love Laine, he's fun and supremely talented, but he lacks that explosiveness of a young Stamkos, an explosiveness Svech has in his game.

Lots of great goal scorers/players these days flirt with 40 a year and occasionally pass it. Laine should hit 40+ year in, year out, for the foreseeable future. I think Svechnikov has the skillset, more so than any other player right now, to be the next regular 50 goal scorer for 3-5 year span. I really can't stress enough how much I think of his truly elite sharpshooting abilities are and the x-factor of his strength and speed.

I'll probably be proven wrong because he'll end up in Carolina but I'm all in on him pmsl.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The canes are in very good shape. I almost think Zadina is a better fit for them then Svech but i do think they lack some size in that top 6 so Svech will help in that department. I just think Zadina has the higher hockey IQ for making plays and that fits well with all the talent the canes have up front.
Zadina-Necas-Skinner
Aho-Kuokkanen-Teravainen
Staal-Rask-Lindolm

Hell of a top 9.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
The canes are in very good shape. I almost think Zadina is a better fit for them then Svech but i do think they lack some size in that top 6 so Svech will help in that department. I just think Zadina has the higher hockey IQ for making plays and that fits well with all the talent the canes have up front.
Zadina-Necas-Skinner
Aho-Kuokkanen-Teravainen
Staal-Rask-Lindolm

Hell of a top 9.
Are you kidding? Have you ever seen playmaking skills of Svechnikov? Alse Andrei is much better skater that will look great in one line with Aho.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Would be so awesome if the Canes can pass on Svechnikov and pick Zadina.

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Svechnikov... wow! Zadina would be a great pick-up too anyway but I'd absolutely love to get Svech!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Would be so awesome if the Canes can pass on Svechnikov and pick Zadina.

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Svechnikov... wow! Zadina would be a great pick-up too anyway but I'd absolutely love to get Svech!
No thanks! God forbid Svechnikov ends up in that mess without one center to play with.

Reactions: Habs76

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We gave Alex Semin $7 million a year and people are talking about how we don't like Russians :laugh:

Not that people are right (I don't think Caroline doesn't like Russian's). But that should be a good reason why they wouldn't like Russians considering how it ended with Semin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad