watched his game last night
he does make most of his opportunities
#2 is where i see him , though zadina extremely close imo

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
not at all
yakupov has great intensity but has no clue of the structure of the game

svech seems very aware of options on the ice at all times, good instincts and reaction but honestly to me has zero intensity and seems to lack any real backcheck or 200 foot game

he reminds allot of nicolas backstrom

as for not scoring in wjc; his ice time was extremely limited and his teamates seemed to intentionally not want to use him
This analysis seems off on several levels. First, Svechnikov's two-way play is actually quite strong and I would never say that he lacks intensity. And, even if Svechnikov WAS lacking in ability to play a 200ft game, Backstrom is one of the last players I would compare him to in that case. Backstrom is one of the league's better two-way centers and is deployed in all situations.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This analysis seems off on several levels. First, Svechnikov's two-way play is actually quite strong and I would never say that he lacks intensity. And, even if Svechnikov WAS lacking in ability to play a 200ft game, Backstrom is one of the last players I would compare him to in that case. Backstrom is one of the league's better two-way centers and is deployed in all situations.

Good post. Svechnikov is subtly gritty and has an apparent mean streak if one pays close attention. He doesn't find himself out of position all that often in his own end. I have posted before that Svech doesn't let opposing guys push him around and can dish it back physically.

I think people sometimes mistake Svechnikov's effortlessness (in his movements, his stride) for lackadaisical qualities. He also sometimes floats, but this is not unusual with players his age who constantly try to create. In my opinion Svechnikov is a very active player - mentally and physically. I wish he was a center because he often looks like one to me.

Thebesthockey made some valid points regarding the Yakupov analogy. While Yak has always been pure fire, Svech picks his spots and applies his energy levels differently depending on the play. I think he is a much smarter player. I remember feeling frustrated with Yakupov's play as long ago as his draft-eligible year, where his weaknesses were becoming apparent. He had little feel for subtlety, even though his passion was admirable. Svechnikov can create a scoring play out of nothing and make it look easy, while Yak's scoring drives were very high-effort, as if he wanted to drive through opponents like a bulldozer. That worked for a while in junior and much less so at the WJC and the pros.

Reactions: Acadien86

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I believe he had better numbers than Eichel did. Svechnikov is certainly better than Hischier or Patrick
what are you talking about? That is completely wrong.
Eichel had 74 points in 40 games in the NCAA in his draft year.
Svechnikov had 58 points in 48 games in the USHL if he was drafted last year.
He scored way less and in a way easier league.

58 points in 48 games in USHL for draft season is good but not top 10 pick material.
Brock Boeser had 68 points in 57 games in his USHL draft season and he went 23rd.

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
And yeah this comparison wth Yakupov is ridiculous. Andrei is smart and really physical, Yak just has a shot and pretty chaotic uncontrollable speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Laine was seen as someone who had the potential to score 50 goals in the nhl.
Does Svech and Zadina have that potential too, or is more like 40 goals?

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
Yak wasnt drafted 1st overall if he had just a shot and chaotic uncontrollable speed, whatever that means.

What else did he have then? Don't remember anyone mentioning concerns about his hockey IQ at the time tho. Probably because on junior level his thinking was good enough and people's judgement was clouded by all those goals and energetic drive he produced.
Also it was very weak draft.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
What else did he have then? Don't remember anyone mentioning concerns about his hockey IQ at the time tho. Probably because on junior level his thinking was good enough and people's judgement was clouded by all those goals and energetic drive he produced.
Also it was very weak draft.
Look, I already said this earlier in this thread.

Always when a player has been a failure, the fans come out and say; he wasnt any good to begin with, player X or player Z in this draft is much better. Its always the same. Yak had 101 points the year before he was even eligible. I am pretty sure, people liked him a lot..

No its not any different. Only difference now is, we know for sure that Yakupov is a bust, so there's no discussion about that.

Reactions: Aerrol

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
Look, I already said this earlier in this thread.

Always when a player has been a failure, the fans come out and say; he wasnt any good to begin with, player X or player Z in this draft is much better. Its always the same. Yak had 101 points the year before he was even eligible. I am pretty sure, people liked him a lot..

No its not any different. Only difference now is, we know for sure that Yakupov is a bust, so there's no discussion about that.

Yeah I was really excited about Yakupov back then so I'm not pretending I saw it coming, him busting I mean. Darft-1 year he's played with Galchenyuk tho. He probably had a bigger impact on Yakupov's success that year then people thought. I guess Yak's problem is that he hasn't really progressed much since his draft+1 year. And in terms of confidence he's even regressed. That's a shame really. He seems like a really nice guy.

And back to Andrei honestly I don't see any visible flaws in his game. No at this level. He's physical, he's smart both in terms of vision and efficient skating, great shot. I guess he sometimes takes unnecessary penalties, that's probably the only thing I can think of. That's another thing that make me think about Malkin when I see Andrei on the ice.

And about his floating, I don't know maybe a little but it's probably what his coaches ask him to do. That's what wingers do, they're usually the closest to opposite side of the ice ready to receive a pass and enter the zone. But Andrei can play more of a set up roll as well, make a good long first pass from his zone or take the puck and go with it himself. He can beat you a number of ways.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
what are you talking about? That is completely wrong.
Eichel had 74 points in 40 games in the NCAA in his draft year.
Svechnikov had 58 points in 48 games in the USHL if he was drafted last year.
He scored way less and in a way easier league.

58 points in 48 games in USHL for draft season is good but not top 10 pick material.
Brock Boeser had 68 points in 57 games in his USHL draft season and he went 23rd.
I’m talking about Eichel in USHL at the same age

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I’m talking about Eichel in USHL at the same age
I think you're missing the part where we're talking about IF svechnikov was drafted last year.
Eichel was in USHL in his draft minus 1 year. Svech was there in his draft year. Even if we used those numbers, Eichel put up 2 ppg while being younger while svechnikov put up a little above 1

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think you're missing the part where we're talking about IF svechnikov was drafted last year.
Eichel was in USHL in his draft minus 1 year. Svech was there in his draft year. Even if we used those numbers, Eichel put up 2 ppg while being younger while svechnikov put up a little above 1
What? Svechnikov is in OHL in his draft year. I’m not sure what you are talking about.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
What? Svechnikov is in OHL in his draft year. I’m not sure what you are talking about.
Omg. Go back through the quotes to where it started. You joined a discussion halfway through. The poster said even if svechnikov was supposed to be in last year's draft, he would have gone first

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Omg. Go back through the quotes to where it started. You joined a discussion halfway through. The poster said even if svechnikov was supposed to be in last year's draft, he would have gone first
He would have, thankfully scouts don't look at stat sheets to decide where people go. They would use projection, in which Svechnikov would have easily gone 1st in 2017 based on either his 16 year old USHL season or his 17 year old OHL season.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He would have, thankfully scouts don't look at stat sheets to decide where people go. They would use projection, in which Svechnikov would have easily gone 1st in 2017 based on either his 16 year old USHL season or his 17 year old OHL season.

This hypothetical situation was started by someone's belief that even if Svechnikov was a year older last year and that was his draft year, he would've gone 1st overall. So, this situation is one where his OHL season is non-existent, and where he wasn't 16 last year, he was 17.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This hypothetical situation was started by someone's belief that even if Svechnikov was a year older last year and that was his draft year, he would've gone 1st overall. So, this situation is one where his OHL season is non-existent, and where he wasn't 16 last year, he was 17.
He would still be projected based on his USHL season, in which he was still a 6-3 winger with incredible speed/I.Q/vision/shot/passing.

Much better package than Patrick or Hischier, even pretending he wasn't 16, unlike the 18 they were.

The same way Dahlin would have gone before both even using his last season as his draft year.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Is there any concern with this kid and the Russian factor ?

One isolated concern is that Svechnikov demanded a clause in his USHL contract to allow him to leave his team and play for Team Russia whenever he wanted. But that's not too big of a deal, actually.
His brother is paying his dues in the AHL, and their parents are over here with them. Svechnikov is committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->