RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s pretty close to a lock to be a 1st liner, with a great shot at becoming a star. A total natural/pure goal scorer, not just the shot but also the instincts, and is a total bull going to the net. Excellent physical tools, great skater, great hands, very good hockey IQ, what’s not to like?

Reminds me a fair bit of Kovy. Not quite as talented, but very few are, and I think he has a more well rounded, 2-way team game than young Kovy. No brainer pick at 2 IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He’s pretty close to a lock to be a 1st liner, with a great shot at becoming a star. A total natural/pure goal scorer, not just the shot but also the instincts, and is a total bull going to the net. Excellent physical tools, great skater, great hands, very good hockey IQ, what’s not to like?

Reminds me a fair bit of Kovy. Not quite as talented, but very few are, and I think he has a more well rounded, 2-way team game than young Kovy. No brainer pick at 2 IMO.
Due to position and how transferable his game is, I think he's the closest thing in this draft to be a lock as a perennial All-star. I'd still take Dahlin, but Svechnikov probably has the lowest bust factor in the draft.

He really doesn't give me the typical elite insanely strong and will fly down the winger and snipe an unstoppable shot like Ovi, Kovalchuk, and Tarasenko. He has tools to do that, but he seems much more methodical in his approach and tends to find himself in the right spots to score in a multitude of ways. His way of scoring goals reminds me more of players like Matthews and Jamie Benn. They have elite shots, but they tend to get their best results by driving center ice, good positioning on rebounds near the net and reading quick incisive give and go passing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I really don't get the fans who have suggested Canes could take Tkatchuk because they want to get tougher. Isn't Svec tough to play against?

Prime Svec should be a nightmare.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Due to position and how transferable his game is, I think he's the closest thing in this draft to be a lock as a perennial All-star. I'd still take Dahlin, but Svechnikov probably has the lowest bust factor in the draft.

He really doesn't give me the typical elite insanely strong and will fly down the winger and snipe an unstoppable shot like Ovi, Kovalchuk, and Tarasenko. He has tools to do that, but he seems much more methodical in his approach and tends to find himself in the right spots to score in a multitude of ways. His way of scoring goals reminds me more of players like Matthews and Jamie Benn. They have elite shots, but they tend to get their best results by driving center ice, good positioning on rebounds near the net and reading quick incisive give and go passing.

That's the same vibe I've been getting watching the video of him. I'm not saying he's on the same level as Matthews, just stylistically.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I completely agree. That was the comparison I came up with as well. Neither Auston nor Svechnikov are the flashiest players. They are both brutally effective, though. Scoring goals ends up looking ''easy'' for them, but it's the product both of fantastic skill, and lots of little details done correctly. One reason why Auston chews up goaltenders is that they're just not square to his shot. Auston releases it from his feet. Svech, by comparison, uses a really long stick and has the strength to get a powerful shot off well away from his body. The result is the same though: the puck ''sees'' a lot of net when it's released.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was cool to see some video and pictures of him at the combine. The guy is much bigger than I thought. Looks like a tank. Between Aho, Necas and Svechnikov, Canes will have some very talented and exciting forwards coming up.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Finally some decent analysis in this thread. Lots of great stylistic comparisons, but does anyone familiar with him want to offer an entirely premature tier projection in relation to the recent influx of exceptional young talent in the NHL?

Seems pretty low-key hype wise compared to guys like Laine and Eichel who were also somewhat overshadowed by sure fire 1OAs in their draft years

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's the same vibe I've been getting watching the video of him. I'm not saying he's on the same level as Matthews, just stylistically.
How they operate in the offensive zone is quite similar. Matthews uses quick hands and strength to cut in off the boards and drive center ice more (similar to someone like Tavares). But, they have a similar knack for finding soft spots on the ice and racking up goals in a diverse fashion. They both have great shots, but they tend to score from in-close more than traditional snipers.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
DBB24754-157E-4863-B63C-D4A7CC60AEAA.jpeg

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Matthews clearly would have went above him in the same draft. It wouldn't have been close.

Probably because of the hard on everyone has for centers. But hockey wise they will have the same impact on the ice. Svechnikov is a franchise forward.

Reactions: Fantomas

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Probably because of the hard on everyone has for centers. But hockey wise they will have the same impact on the ice. Svechnikov is a franchise forward.
Matthews is a tier above as a prospect, and likely as a player. Svechnikov is still great, but Matthews is the more impactful player and was a better prospect. Centers are more important and drive play more than wingers. A bias towards elite centers isn't irrational.

I'd be surprised if Svechnikov is as impactful as Matthews was in his first 2 years. He's closer to Taylor Hall or Seguin as a prospect, who took their time to reach the level Matthews is currently at.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I'd be surprised if Svechnikov is as impactful as Matthews was in his first 2 years. He's closer to Taylor Hall or Seguin as a prospect, who took their time to reach the level Matthews is currently at.

While there may be more stylistic similarities to Matthews, I agree that Hall is probably the best comparable. Both are wingers who are clearly the best forwards from their draft class.

As a Canes fan I would take 27 goals/52 points (which is Hall's pace for 82 games as a rookie) in 18-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad