RW Alexander Nylander (2016, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
By all accounts, Michael Nylander seems like a real piece of work.
I don't even think he's the craziest hockey dad associated with the Leafs, which is quite astonishing. He's just historically been shown more deference due to being an NHL pro in most levels of his kid's hockey development.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
His dad is way too heavily involved in certain aspects of the decision making. Best decision would have been for him to go back to Mississauga for his D+1 season, but that was ruled out as an option because the Steelheads didn't want to deal with Michael as an assistant again. He basically ran a private practice for Alex on the other side of the ice at points, it was a weird situation of a CHL team catering heavily to a dad to get a talented kid.

The Leafs were lucky enough that William was AHL ready at an age where they could distance their dad's involvement. Buffalo was basically put in a no-win situation where either Michael was going to take him back to Sweden, to a situation where he could control coaching or they had to put him in the AHL. In retrospect, that might have been a red-flag not to deal with the kid, but given the success with William at the time, it could have been viewed as a decent risk.

At the moment, the kid just looks shell-shocked against men. He has limited confidence and is completely afraid of contact. How to fix this I have no idea.
All of these things were known pre-draft which makes the entire situation more confusing and makes Buffalo's scouting staff look even more clueless. People around Mississauga knew these things about his Dad and his agent. Surely Buffalo's scouts would have as well. Buffalo needed defensemen in the system. No team interviewed Charlie McAvoy more than Buffalo. And Buffalo chooses to draft Nylander over him and Sergachev? And this is after they just got done being pushed around by Zadorov and Grigorenko's agents. I get having Nylander ranked over those two defensemen at the time of the draft as many scouts did, but to have him so far ahead of them that you are going to choose to ignore all of the red flags? All 3 of them should have been ranked close enough that they would have went with the two guys. And it's not like Buffalo had Nylander ranked top 5 and felt like he fell to them and was too good to pass up because it's been leaked multiple times that Keller was the forward that they wanted.

The one thing that I can think of is that Sergachev being Russian soured them on him and they went with the guy they knew would sign an NHL contract over the guy who could bolt to the KHL.

Reactions: Fixxer

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
At this point if he turns it around he’s found money IMO

Can’t count on him to develop into a top 6 forward - he’s just a high upside prospect

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
All of these things were known pre-draft which makes the entire situation more confusing and makes Buffalo's scouting staff look even more clueless. People around Mississauga knew these things about his Dad and his agent. Surely Buffalo's scouts would have as well. Buffalo needed defensemen in the system. No team interviewed Charlie McAvoy more than Buffalo. And Buffalo chooses to draft Nylander over him and Sergachev? And this is after they just got done being pushed around by Zadorov and Grigorenko's agents. I get having Nylander ranked over those two defensemen at the time of the draft as many scouts did, but to have him so far ahead of them that you are going to choose to ignore all of the red flags? All 3 of them should have been ranked close enough that they would have went with the two guys. And it's not like Buffalo had Nylander ranked top 5 and felt like he fell to them and was too good to pass up because it's been leaked multiple times that Keller was the forward that they wanted.

The one thing that I can think of is that Sergachev being Russian soured them on him and they went with the guy they knew would sign an NHL contract over the guy who could bolt to the KHL.
I always wondered about that pick if the Sabres got a little cute about the impending Leafs Sabres rivalry (that didn't happen). Like, the symmetry of drafting William's brother was too much to pass up.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
On Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts podcast Marek who was in Buffalo this week to do the Flames/Sabres game said there are people inside the Sabres organization who told him they doubt Alex will play 100 games in the NHL. Bad on 2 counts. First obviously it speaks poorly about Nylander but secondly you have a Sabres employee, possibly even the GM, badmouthing his own player to high profile broadcasters, wtf is that - he's still an asset you might want to trade, why would you run the kid down, it only hurts your team's bargaining position in a trade.

As a Sabres fan I want him called up, he's one of those players who would play better in the NHL than in the helter skelter style of the AHL. He was called up at the end of the season last year and he did look better with NHL players than he had looked in the AHL. He is a very good skater, puck handler, with an elite shot. He just doesn't know how to use any of it in the AHL, it's like he's scared, the puck isn't on his stick very much. Put him on Eichel or ROR's left side, see what happens. People will say you shouldn't call a prospect up if he hasn't earned it. Dumb. He's an 8th pick overall, you don't treat every prospect the same, he has NHL skills.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Buffalo had already been bullied by Grigorenko and Zadorov's agents. Nylander's agent telling Buffalo that he needed to get called up after the WJC was a huge slap in the face. Smaller market teams like Buffalo need to eventually stand up to stuff like that.

Honestly depending on how much help Buffalo gets this Summer I'm leaning towards sticking him on a line with Eichel next year and padding his stats. If Buffalo can find a way to turn him into a defensive asset they should. Nylander may only be 20 but he's going to be a soft, inconsistent Hockey player his entire career. The difference between Nylander and Mittelstadt is staggering given where they were drafted. Mittelstadt plays every game trying to score as much as he can. Nylander plays every game hoping to not get injured. He makes Thomas Vanek look like an intense person.
You were pretty positive after they got them though.

Eichel doesn't have near the shot selection that Nylander does. Nylander is much more of a pure shooter than Eichel is. He can score 20 different ways.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/120577231/

Nylander has more tricks in his bag when it comes to stick handling and shooting the puck. Period. Anyone who has watched both players play and isn't a homer because of the name Eichel would agree with that.

What bad take? Eichel isn't that great of a stick handler and doesn't have near the variety of shot selection that Nylander does. You guys are the ones with the bad take on Eichel thinking he's a 10/10 at everything he does. He has a rocket of a wrist shot and it's very accurate but Nylander scores in a greater variety of ways.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/120607817/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman's latest 31 Thoughts podcast Marek who was in Buffalo this week to do the Flames/Sabres game said there are people inside the Sabres organization who told him they doubt Alex will play 100 games in the NHL. Bad on 2 counts. First obviously it speaks poorly about Nylander but secondly you have a Sabres employee, possibly even the GM, badmouthing his own player to high profile broadcasters, wtf is that - he's still an asset you might want to trade, why would you run the kid down, it only hurts your team's bargaining position in a trade.

As a Sabres fan I want him called up, he's one of those players who would play better in the NHL than in the helter skelter style of the AHL. He was called up at the end of the season last year and he did look better with NHL players than he had looked in the AHL. He is a very good skater, puck handler, with an elite shot. He just doesn't know how to use any of it in the AHL, it's like he's scared, the puck isn't on his stick very much. Put him on Eichel or ROR's left side, see what happens. People will say you shouldn't call a prospect up if he hasn't earned it. Dumb. He's an 8th pick overall, you don't treat every prospect the same, he has NHL skills.

This is interesting. I respect Botterill as a hockey man. He was key in the young Pens players development. IE Sheary and Guenzel. Hiring of Sullivan as head coach. If anyone would be able to rebuild a farm team and develop players it would be under his guidance. The Sabres do have some young talent such as in Pu and Middlestadt that are eligible to play in the AHL next year. I agree with you 100%, Nylander is one of those players I believe that will look better in the NHL with more talent to compliment his talents.

Nylander was hurt with a lower body injury to start the year. I think he had 4 pts in 4 preseason games. Which may have been good enough to have made the NHL early on. But since coming back, his play does not warrant a call up. I will simply maintain, from the player I saw play at Mississauga in the OHL. He was the best player on that team, better than Mcleod who I have high regard for. So I will maintain, this kid is just newly turned 20. And this is still far too early to give up on a talent like him. If the Sabres deal him, I think he will be one of those players that will come back to bite a team for impatience. But Alex needs to have a good year next year, regardless of where he plays. Just play with the high hockey IQ and skills he was born with. It starts with him. This would be my advice to him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is interesting. I respect Botterill as a hockey man. He was key in the young Pens players development. IE Sheary and Guenzel. Hiring of Sullivan as head coach. If anyone would be able to rebuild a farm team and develop players it would be under his guidance. The Sabres do have some young talent such as in Pu and Middlestadt that are eligible to play in the AHL next year. I agree with you 100%, Nylander is one of those players I believe that will look better in the NHL with more talent to compliment his talents.

Nylander was hurt with a lower body injury to start the year. I think he had 4 pts in 4 preseason games. Which may have been good enough to have made the NHL early on. But since coming back, his play does not warrant a call up. I will simply maintain, from the player I saw play at Mississauga in the OHL. He was the best player on that team, better than Mcleod who I have high regard for. So I will maintain, this kid is just newly turned 20. And this is still far too early to give up on a talent like him. If the Sabres deal him, I think he will be one of those players that will come back to bite a team for impatience. But Alex needs to have a good year next year, regardless of where is plays. Just play with the high hockey IQ and skills he was born with. It starts with him. This would be my advice to him.

He badly pulled a groin in the very first game of their prospect camp prior to the vet training camp. He has a long way to go to show that he deserves anything right now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He badly pulled a groin in the very first game of their prospect camp prior to the vet training camp. He has a long way to go to show that he deserves anything right now.

I think that's obvious. It's really up to Alex. He needs to put this year behind him, perhaps grow up and take things into his own hands. He has the skills, hockey IQ, and talent to be a player. It seems to be more mental right now. Talent alone is not enough to make the NHL. So I can only surmise it is a mental thing. This was not a factor I recall him having at Mississauga. When he was hurt before the playoffs, he came back and put on 2PPG average in the playoffs his draft year.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You said Eichel doesn't have near the shot selection that Nylander does. Nylander could score 20 different ways.

Perhaps you overrated his scoring skills a tiny bit.
He doesn't. I've watched enough of both players to know. Eichel's shot selection leaves a lot to be desired and has actually gotten worse each year. It wasn't until just before getting injured that he really started to use his wrist shot again. Nylander has a very good wrist and slapshot just like Jack but his superior stick handling allows him to get in tighter for things like backhands and snapshots. For all of his strengths Eichel is a terrible stick handler.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Looks like Alex is finally figuring it out. Com8ng on strong and sustaining. Good for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looks like Alex is finally figuring it out. Com8ng on strong and sustaining. Good for him.

He still has a ways to go. He's just starting to take contact rather than bale. And while I want to see him coming on, of his five assists in the last two games, only one is a primary. Of the secondary ones, only one really had me think he created the play (the cross slot pass to Fasching that Malone finished off against Providence).

Reactions: Yatzhee

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
As a Sabres fan I am relieved Alex is showing signs of progress. Having a top 10 pick bust is a huge setback for a franchise. The Sabres are extremely strong down the middle with Eichel and O'Reilly with Mittelstadt, Asplund and Cliff Pu coming. Alex doesn't need to be as good as William, he needs to be able to put the puck in the net and I think if given the chance he will.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Alex had a strong prospects tournament. He has tremendous skills, but the knock on him was his level of engagement and tenacity. Last year his groin injury set him back, but this off season he put in the work. He exhibited leadership skills by being the first man up in line drills, etc. During the games he was more tenacious on the forecheck plus he exhibited his excellent shot.

For those that claim he is a bust it might just be wishful thinking. Alex is still only 20 and is putting in a claim for a roster spot. He may still spend some time in Rochester, but don't be surprised when he gets called up he stays and mans the wing for many years.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Alex had a strong prospects tournament. He has tremendous skills, but the knock on him was his level of engagement and tenacity. Last year his groin injury set him back, but this off season he put in the work. He exhibited leadership skills by being the first man up in line drills, etc. During the games he was more tenacious on the forecheck plus he exhibited his excellent shot.

For those that claim he is a bust it might just be wishful thinking. Alex is still only 20 and is putting in a claim for a roster spot. He may still spend some time in Rochester, but don't be surprised when he gets called up he stays and mans the wing for many years.

He has to produce against inferior competition in the AHL before he's pencilled in as a regular in the NHL.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

buffalosabrebills

Aug 31, 2018
Buffalo
I had almost written him off as a prospect but he's blown me away so far during these prospect games. Doesn't dwell on the puck nearly as long and he's really moving his feet. Looks like he put in some work this offseason and is motivated to make the squad. If he continues this strong play into the pre-season, he's got a spot in the top 6 in my eyes.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

He was bad against Boston. I understand he looked good against the Penguins group but that's some ECHL competition. I thought pretty highly of him before that Bruins game but he struggled against the best team Buffalo faced.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

These games mean nothing at the end of day and especially Nylander needs to prove himself against pro's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad