RW Alexander Nylander (2016, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well alex came from junior to AHL.
William came from mens league to AHL. Easier to adapt for William.

I still think Alex is just as talented (remember they both went #8 in the draft)
Julius Honka went from the CHL to Junior and put up similar numbers as Alex Nylander as a defender. So I think going from SHL to the AHL is dramatically overstated in this case.

We will see if its effective bulk, you need strength in the lower body to be hockey strong at the NHL level.

He could be as good as William, but I doubt it, and to point to WJC games is far reaching when the gap between AHL performances was that dramatic.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Well alex came from junior to AHL.
William came from mens league to AHL. Easier to adapt for William.

I still think Alex is just as talented (remember they both went #8 in the draft)

So you're implying that Alex willingly chose a development path that would leave him less prepared than his brother for the NHL? He came to the OHL because he wanted to learn the North American game on NHL regulation ice surfaces. They both had adjustments to make entering the AHL.

The eye test and comparable age performances go pretty firmly to William at this point. Anything else is just making excuses. If you believe Alex made a decision that was detrimental to his development than so be it. I think he and his family did what they thought best for him in his draft year.. Unless they simply didn't think he was ready for pro hockey at the same age.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The only similarity between the Nylanders is their name, the fact they both went 8OA, and they're both exceptionally underrated talents.

Willy is the playmaker with the unbelievable shot, Alex is the scorer with the unbelievable playmaking ability. Willy is the possession guy, Alex is the guy who will get his points off the rush. Willy is the C, Alex is the W. They're weirdly opposite in most ways other than both undeniably great at pretty much everything.

Alex reminds me of (Toronto) Kessel in a lot of ways, and Willy reminds me of Seguin in the same type of ways.

Both sky-high potential.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not as good as Willy, but I think he'll be a good top 6 NHL player. Doesn't have elite potential like Puljujarvi imo(just using another 18 year old in the AHL as an example) but growth isn't always linear.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The only similarity between the Nylanders is their name, the fact they both went 8OA, and they're both exceptionally underrated talents.

Willy is the playmaker with the unbelievable shot, Alex is the scorer with the unbelievable playmaking ability. Willy is the possession guy, Alex is the guy who will get his points off the rush. Willy is the C, Alex is the W. They're weirdly opposite in most ways other than both undeniably great at pretty much everything.

Alex reminds me of (Toronto) Kessel in a lot of ways, and Willy reminds me of Seguin in the same type of ways.

Both sky-high potential.

I think you have that backwards.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I think you have that backwards.

mmm nope. Like the other poster, can't speak for alex but WN is most definitely not a "rush player".

Staying OT, I could see Alex topping out as a 30-30 winger.

Last edited:

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
Since this thread started with a cherry-picked, and extremely limited comparison of Alex & William Nylander, I thought I'd leave this here for a more complete picture.

Age-by-age, league-by-league comparison of William & Alex Nylander:

16 years old

W.Nylander: GP 27, G 15, A 28, Pts 43, 1.59 PPG (Sweden - Under-20)
A.Nylander: GP 42, G 15, A 25, Pts 40, 0.95 PPG (Sweden - Under-20)

W.Nylander: GP 8, G 4, A 2, Pts 6, 0.75 PPG (Sweden - Allsvenskan)
A.Nylander: GP 3, G 0, A 0, Pts 0, 0.00 PPG (Sweden - Allsvenskan)

17 years old

W.Nylander: GP 22, G 1, A 6, Pts 7, 0.32 PPG (Sweden - SHL)

W.Nylander: GP 35, G 15, A 12, Pts 27, 0.77 PPG (Sweden - Allsvenskan)

A.Nylander: GP 57, G 28, A 47, Pts 75, 1.32 PPG (OHL)

18 years old

W.Nylander: GP 21, G 8, A 12, Pts 20, 0.95 PPG (Sweden - SHL)

W.Nylander: GP 37, G 14, A 18, Pts 32, 0.86 PPG (AHL)
A.Nylander: GP 65, G 10, A 18, Pts 28, 0.43 PPG (AHL)

As for the question in the title of this thread, I don't think there's much question that Alex Nylander has the potential to be a good, top-6 scoring winger in the NHL.

His season in the AHL may have been a disappointment for some last year, but it's pretty rare for 18 year olds to play in the AHL at all, let alone produce. If he sticks in the AHL again for this coming season, I'd bet on his scoring numbers taking a solid climb.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Since this thread started with a cherry-picked, and extremely limited comparison of Alex & William Nylander, I thought I'd leave this here for a more complete picture.

Age-by-age, league-by-league comparison of William & Alex Nylander:

16 years old

W.Nylander: GP 27, G 15, A 28, Pts 43, 1.59 PPG (Sweden - Under-20)
A.Nylander: GP 42, G 15, A 25, Pts 40, 0.95 PPG (Sweden - Under-20)

W.Nylander: GP 8, G 4, A 2, Pts 6, 0.75 PPG (Sweden - Allsvenskan)
A.Nylander: GP 3, G 0, A 0, Pts 0, 0.00 PPG (Sweden - Allsvenskan)

17 years old

W.Nylander: GP 22, G 1, A 6, Pts 7, 0.32 PPG (Sweden - SHL)

W.Nylander: GP 35, G 15, A 12, Pts 27, 0.77 PPG (Sweden - Allsvenskan)

A.Nylander: GP 57, G 28, A 47, Pts 75, 1.32 PPG (OHL)

18 years old

W.Nylander: GP 21, G 8, A 12, Pts 20, 0.95 PPG (Sweden - SHL)

W.Nylander: GP 37, G 14, A 18, Pts 32, 0.86 PPG (AHL)
A.Nylander: GP 65, G 10, A 18, Pts 28, 0.43 PPG (AHL)

As for the question in the title of this thread, I don't think there's much question that Alex Nylander has the potential to be a good, top-6 scoring winger in the NHL.

His season in the AHL may have been a disappointment for some last year, but it's pretty rare for 18 year olds to play in the AHL at all, let alone produce. If he sticks in the AHL again for this coming season, I'd bet on his scoring numbers taking a solid climb.
To be fair, development isn't linear. William was always seen as a super talent growing up while Alex was very much in Williams shadow. Alex first started taking huge climbs development wise when he was 16. Alex wasn't even on one of the first U16 national teams IIRC. Williams development has always been more linear than Alex and it obviously remains to see who becomes the best, both great talents even though i consider William the greater talent.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't expect Alex to be as good as William.

25+25 winger is all I'm hoping for. Anything after that is gravy.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I also just hope for Alex to become 75% of the player William is. We don't need Alex to even be a top 4 forward on this team with Eich, ROR, Casey, Reinhart.

Glad to see he followed William's path of getting ****ing ripped when he starts that training program.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has had some bad luck, and really has had only one off year of development. It is early for Alex. I have no doubt he will turn it around. I would not be surprised if he plays his way on the NHL team this year and look like a top 6 winger. Too much talent this kid has. I have always been a believer in him and still am.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sucks when you have a Brother already playing at a high level in the NHL and you're struggling to put it together in the AHL. Hope this kid can continue to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->