Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I just want to stick up for Aragorn. Based on his posts, I find him to be a good evaluator of potential. He does value hard work and physical play over skill and scoring, (correct me if I'm wrong). But he's made some interesting observations of hard working 3rd and 4th line players over the years (based on development camp viewings).

I think @aragorn knows that the "player size" jokes are light hearted and not meant to be a knock on his opinion of those players, at least not from my end; I tend to agree with most of his posts around here anyway.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not that I'm disagreeing but why not?

I like him as an offensive threat on the off wing, it's his strength but that's only one part of the equation. You've got to be able to make the right plays on the boards in the defensive zone. As a smaller player he has his work cut out for him already but on top of that he doesn't have the defensive acumen, putting him on his off wing makes it all that more difficult. No coach is going to play him there if he can't consistently make plays in between the face off dot and the blueline.

Reactions: Frank8

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I have Abramov as a better NHL prospect than Balcers.

I have Abramov's ceiling as being higher, but I think that Balcers has a higher chance of being a regular. I prefer the little Russian over the two.

Reactions: swiftwin

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Similarly skilled, but I think Abramov is a bit more pesky and might be a better fit on a flex line in the bottom 6. When you start to think of skill making it's way into our lineup and pushing some down to the bottom 6, we may start to develop some peskly but skilled depth lines. For example, a line of Formenton-Chlapik-Abramov might turn into a helluva a two-way line if Abramov continues to evolve. Or could be Formenton-Pinto-Abramov. On a line like that, Abramov might pot you 15-20 goals with the occasional sniff on the PP with injuries, but meanwhile gives you a little pop in the bottom 6.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
SenShot: Ottawa Senators Prospects: Vitaly Abramov off to a Hot Start in Jukurit.
Ottawa Senators Prospects: Vitaly Abramov off to a Hot Start in Jukurit
Happy to see him doing well. The Senators need more speed and quickness, as well as finish, and he seems to have those. He is missing size and strength but if he can use his speed, quickness and offensive skillset he can overcome those weaknesses. Perhaps he will beat out Balcers for a roster spot this coming season. Looking forward to see him try.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Happy to see him doing well. The Senators need more speed and quickness, as well as finish, and he seems to have those. He is missing size and strength but if he can use his speed, quickness and offensive skillset he can overcome those weaknesses. Perhaps he will beat out Balcers for a roster spot this coming season. Looking forward to see him try.

It would be nice to have actual offense on our farm team AND our NHL team for the first time since like 2006.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hockey dB has him listed at 5 foot 10 and 180. I'd say that's on the small side but it's not small

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hockey dB has him listed at 5 foot 10 and 180. I'd say that's on the small side but it's not small

It might be his skating stance but he looks smaller, for a guy who does a lot of his work around the net I question how he will translate to the the next level because of his size and speed. For the most part I like how he plays, aside from his tendency to jump the defensive zone at times, but I don't know how effective he will be in the NHL.

He's great at driving wide, dropping his shoulder and driving to the net but when he is up against stronger and faster competition, how often will he beat NHL defenders wide? He has great hands around the net and can bury the puck but will he be able to slip a defender and find the puck?

Also here is a picture of him, 6'2 Eric Robinson and 5'4 Nathan Gerbe.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 4.19.20 PM.png

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It might be his skating stance but he looks smaller, for a guy who does a lot of his work around the net I question how he will translate to the the next level because of his size and speed. For the most part I like how he plays, aside from his tendency to jump the defensive zone at times, but I don't know how effective he will be in the NHL.

He's great at driving wide, dropping his shoulder and driving to the net but when he is up against stronger and faster competition, how often will he beat NHL defenders wide? He has great hands around the net and can bury the puck but will he be able to slip a defender and find the puck?

Also here is a picture of him, 6'2 Eric Robinson and 5'4 Nathan Gerbe.

View attachment 373949

Ya, he certainly looks more than 4 inches shorter than Robinson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I know for a fact that Nathan Gerbe is not 5'4 lol

That's what he is listed at on all sites. I was under the impression he was 5'6 but couldn't find that anywhere. Obvious there are inconsistencies in listed heights. Wether abramov is 5'10, 5'9, 5'8 whatever you want to believe, he is one of the smaller players on the ice.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With Tkachuk, Stuetzle, Formenton, Jarventie, Paul & maybe Chlapik at LW who exactly does Abramov or Balcers replace? With Batherson, Dadonov, C. Brown, Pinto, Sokolov, maybe White & maybe another RW drafted in next yr's draft where do Abramov & Balcers fit in exactly? Unless they are moved to another NHL team that is willing to give them a decent shot at an NHL job IMO they either stay in the AHL or much more likely they end up going back to Europe to play.

Does anyone think they can beat out the guys ahead of them, not to mention the guys they continue to draft? IMO Jarventie & Sokolov are both already ahead of those guys, but Abramov I think has a chance to make an NHL roster, I just don't think it's this one. They could get another cup of coffee at the NHL level this yr, but my guess would be that it would be to increase their value & make them available for other teams to see. I just don't see them here long term.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With Tkachuk, Stuetzle, Formenton, Jarventie, Paul & maybe Chlapik at LW who exactly does Abramov or Balcers replace? With Batherson, Dadonov, C. Brown, Pinto, Sokolov, maybe White & maybe another RW drafted in next yr's draft where do Abramov & Balcers fit in exactly? Unless they are moved to another NHL team that is willing to give them a decent shot at an NHL job IMO they either stay in the AHL or much more likely they end up going back to Europe to play.

Does anyone think they can beat out the guys ahead of them, not to mention the guys they continue to draft? IMO Jarventie & Sokolov are both already ahead of those guys, but Abramov I think has a chance to make an NHL roster, I just don't think it's this one. They could get another cup of coffee at the NHL level this yr, but my guess would be that would be to increase their value & make them available for other teams to see. I just don't see them here long term.
Jarventie and Sokolov have a long way to go to pass Abramov and Balcers. Prospects flame out all the time. If all our LW prospects hit that’s great but it won’t happen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Jarventie and Sokolov have a long way to go to pass Abramov and Balcers. Prospects flame out all the time. If all our LW prospects hit that’s great but it won’t happen.

This is probably where we disagree. I don't think they have a long way to go to pass Abramov & Balcers, I think they already have. Look at the prospects poll, are they not both ahead of them on that poll? Others must think the same think if they are. Sokolov is also a little older being an overager who got drafted & seems to have all of the tools required to be a good NHL player & with his size can play on any line. Not too many NHL teams have small skilled players in the bottom six, they might have smaller players, but they are usually fairly tough players like a Pageau type. And while it's true that players flame out all the time these two Sokolov who has stayed in NA to work out & Jarventie who is off to a great start playing with men both look quite promising.

Tkachuk has already hit at LW in the NHL & could be a superstar, Stuetzle is suppose to start at LW whenever he gets into the lineup & also has superstar potential. Formenton was right behind Norris for the AHL rookie of the yr award & is already the fastest guy on the team. Paul has already proven to be a very good defensive forward who will also drop the gloves & be a good bottom six player. I don't know where those guys could fit in on LW & Jarventie is coming soon, probably within a yr or two. Then there is the coaches preference & this team looks like it wants to be bigger & tougher, not smaller & softer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->