Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You still have not explained why he won’t make the nhl in some capacity. To me he’s clearly an nhl caliber player.
I just don't think he will it's an opinion based on my viewings of him. He had a very good AHL season & maybe some team picks him up, we'll see, but I don't think there is room in Ottawa for him given the players I have listed ahead of him IMO. It doesn't mean he won't see any games with Ottawa or in the NHL, I just don't think he is a long term solution here. I think we have better players who can do more in all three zones.

If you want specifics, in the games that I watched he gave the puck away at least three times in one period & got benched for it. Due to his size he loses a lot of puck battles, he does have decent speed & skill, but at times is too flashy with the puck & loses it rather than pass it off which he doesn't seem to like to do to often. He has a good shot & takes a lot of shots from everywhere, but doesn't look to make a lot of plays or pass it off very often. His all around game is lacking IMO especially defensively where at times he seems lost in the defensive zone.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I just don't think he will it's an opinion based on my viewings of him. He had a very good AHL season & maybe some team picks him up, we'll see, but I don't think there is room in Ottawa for him given the players I have listed ahead of him IMO. It doesn't mean he won't see any games with Ottawa or in the NHL, I just don't think he is a long term solution here. I think we have better players who can do more in all three zones.

If you want specifics, in the games that I watched he gave the puck away at least three times in one period & got benched for it. Due to his size he loses a lot of puck battles, he does have decent speed & skill, but at times is too flashy with the puck & loses it rather than pass it off which he doesn't seem to like to do to often. He has a good shot & takes a lot of shots from everywhere, but doesn't look to make a lot of plays or pass it off very often. His all around game is lacking IMO especially defensively where at times he seems lost in the defensive zone.
So you watched one game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So you watched one game.
No, I've watched several games & as you may know I do go to all the development camps. I was just talking about what happened in that one game. He tends to play the game in a certain way & I tried to describe that style of play. He does have some good offensive skills & a very good shot, but his overall game IMO is lacking.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I don't understand this fascination with having every player be sound defensively. Abramov looked like a natural in the offensive zone. It's the coach's job to have a player out when he's most likely to succeed. Abramov should see some time as an option on the second-third line similar to Balcers. Whoever ends up being better will make the other redundant.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
No, I've watched several games & as you may know I do go to all the development camps. I was just talking about what happened in that one game. He tends to play the game in a certain way & I tried to describe that style of play. He does have some good offensive skills & a very good shot, but his overall game IMO is lacking.

Abramov was a two way player and excellent penalty killer in the Q. He knows how to play in all three zones and has the work ethic to figure it out. He just needs time and good coaching in that regard. In the meantime he has a lot of offensive potential, an area in which we are sorely lacking.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, IIRC he once said he thought Nick Paul had first-line centre potential based purely on his size and "good defensive game" in major-junior.

BULLSHIT.

I have always said that I thought Nick Paul would be a good 4th line centre with 3rd line potential. I have never said he had 1st line centre potential in the NHL, that's absolute bullshit. I did say he was good defensively & very good at faceoffs in junior.

However, he did play on the top line in Belleville with L. Brown as the centre & Batherson on RW for a while.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
BULLSHIT.

I have always said that I thought Nick Paul would be a good 4th line centre with 3rd line potential. I have never said he had 1st line centre potential in the NHL, that's absolute bullshit. I did say he was good defensively & very good at faceoffs in junior.

However, he did play on the top line in Belleville with L. Brown as the centre & Batherson on RW for a while.

Nick Paul was identified as the best guy on draws by an ohl coaches poll in his last year in junior.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nick Paul was identified as the best guy on draws by an ohl coaches poll in his last year in junior.

Thank you & if I remember correctly you or someone else brought this point out in the past when I was talking about Nick Paul. DJ Smith I believe called him the defensive conscience of any line he plays on this past season. I interpret that to mean the coach thinks he is a good defensive forward.

Reactions: NB613

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
BULLSHIT.

You had Nick Paul listed in your pre-season lineup as playing C on the first or second line. I think it was 2-3 years ago.

Also this:

Line Combos: - Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingJ

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
BULLSHIT.

Pretty sure you said it around 2014 or 2015, with the caveat of it being an outside chance. Heck, you even felt the need to bring up the fact that he played on the top line in the AHL for a while. I think we all know that being a first liner in the AHL is no guarantee of being a top 6 NHL forward, or even of NHL success, especially if your linemates are the ones really driving play. Look at Denis Hamel, Brandon Bochenski, etc..

None of this changes the fact that you're overly dismissive of players who aren't big. If HF Boards had been around in 1994, I can only imagine what your thoughts on Alfredsson and his 5'11 height would have been.

Edit:

You had Nick Paul listed in your pre-season lineup as playing C on the first or second line. I think it was 2-3 years ago.

Also this:

Oh man, complete with the receipt!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Also this:

I put Paul in a fantasy lineup on the top lin, but even in this post I said it would never happen in the first line & I don't believe I have ever said he was a top line centre. I make up lineups all the time on here, there must be a hundred of them with all kinds of players on every line with different combinations, so do others. Maybe you'll find one with Robinson on the top line.

Pretty sure you said it around 2014 or 2015, with the caveat of it being an outside chance. Heck, you even felt the need to bring up the fact that he played on the top line in the AHL for a while. I think we all know that being a first liner in the AHL is no guarantee of being a top 6 NHL forward, or even of NHL success, especially if your linemates are the ones really driving play. Look at Denis Hamel, Brandon Bochenski, etc..

None of this changes the fact that you're overly dismissive of players who aren't big. If HF Boards had been around in 1994, I can only imagine what your thoughts on Alfredsson and his 5'11 height would have been.

Edit:

Oh man, complete with the receipt!

I don't believe I ever said he was a top line centre, I believe you made that up or imagined it & even in this post above where I have Paul on the top line it's in a fantasy lineup & I said it would never happen in the first line. Everyone has a preference to the kind of players they like & different opinions, mine is obvious. You don't agree that's fine.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, it happens all the time, it should be expected that not everyone has the same point of view or preferences but I would appreciate it if people wouldn't disparage others for their preferences. We all like different things.

Reactions: Frank8

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I like Abramov, but see him as a long-term project. His skill is there just want to see him be more effective in general. Will he get there? I have no idea

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I will explain for him:

6'4" ------ Definitely NHL player
6'0" -------- May become an NHL player, probably not.
. <------- Abramov
5'8"--------Definitley not an NHL player

By Jove, I think you’ve finally got it! :)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This shouldn’t be a surprise ... but I’m not convinced VA isn’t a better 2-4 RW option than CW.

White played with a bit more confidence down the stretch but I think VA is stronger and has better puck control. If VA competes vs a 2019 version of CW at the upcoming training camp I think he beats him out of a spot (other than the fact that white automatically makes the team because of his contract).

If VA plays well maybe we can trade White for a dman (or anything) and slide VA into a RW roll.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This shouldn’t be a surprise ... but I’m not convinced VA isn’t a better 2-4 RW option than CW.

White played with a bit more confidence down the stretch but I think VA is stronger and has better puck control. If VA competes vs a 2019 version of CW at the upcoming training camp I think he beats him out of a spot (other than the fact that white automatically makes the team because of his contract).

If VA plays well maybe we can trade White for a dman (or anything) and slide VA into a RW roll.

Putting your obvious White prejudice aside, that is a reasonable point of view and you could be right. I am a fan of Abramov and I think he will be a solid 3rd line player, with stints on the 2nd line here and there.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Putting your obvious White prejudice aside, that is a reasonable point of view and you could be right. I am a fan of Abramov and I think he will be a solid 3rd line player, with stints on the 2nd line here and there.

It’s valid based on 2019-20 play ... I’d love to see White play ahead of Batherson, Norris, VA etc .... these 8-10 months off will be career defining.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I just want to stick up for Aragorn. Based on his posts, I find him to be a good evaluator of potential. He does value hard work and physical play over skill and scoring, (correct me if I'm wrong). But he's made some interesting observations of hard working 3rd and 4th line players over the years (based on development camp viewings).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad