Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think he might have stuck last year if not for concussion issues
His two way game isnt close. He has alot of developing to do away from the puck. Turnovers in bad places too, he can get there but he has a ways to go. D.J even mentioned it last year. As a fan base were going to have to be patient.

Sure, you can say he has a top 6 skill set and that would be true but you also have to consider the likelihood of him reaching that level. For me I think it's pretty unlikely at this point. He's a skilled player but I question how much of that translates. I think he could be a useful player because of his motor but his foot speed just isn't very good.

Agreed he has a terrific work ethic but the lack of elite skating and when youre that small really does hinder his ability to be effective with his style of play. I like what he brings if his game can mature and his speed improves he could get there ala Cam Atkinson as a ceiling.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Maybe i am not remembering correctly but I recall the reviews on his training camp last year being pretty positive and then him having a concussion and not getting his shot.

We're in a pretty good spot. If half of our prospects come close to their ceiling we have an abundance of NHL players and with 3 and 5 we address some of the high end skill issues.

It looks like we have a decent shot at developing a deep lineup which I'd rather have as opposed to a top heavy lineup

I'm pretty excited about next year although there may not be a next year

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’d like to see some internal competition for VA vs Ryan and White at RW. I think his game is close to where he can be more effective assuming Ryan continues to slow.

The Chaplik vs VA comparison is fair but Chaplik wasn’t the weakest forward in the Sens lineup last year.

Last edited:

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He kinda fell off after getting a concussion but that’s to be expected. I’d give him an extended look in the NHL.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe i am not remembering correctly but I recall the reviews on his training camp last year being pretty positive and then him having a concussion and not getting his shot.

We're in a pretty good spot. If half of our prospects come close to their ceiling we have an abundance of NHL players and with 3 and 5 we address some of the high end skill issues.

It looks like we have a decent shot at developing a deep lineup which I'd rather have as opposed to a top heavy lineup

I'm pretty excited about next year although there may not be a next year

I suspect that if you cannot have fans attend games, or you implement 6 feet distancing at games, you could have a season which would generate greater TV revenues. I can see that happening if the laws regarding crowds due to the COVID-19 virus continue for a year or so. It’s better to have some revenue than none at all.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That appears to be exactly the type of player the Melnyk Senators are looking for. :)

Yes, with a 4.75 salary, half as expensive

I suspect that if you cannot have fans attend games, or you implement 6 feet distancing at games, you could have a season which would generate greater TV revenues. I can see that happening if the laws regarding crowds due to the COVID-19 virus continue for a year or so. It’s better to have some revenue than none at all.

Also, professional athletes can't stop playing for over a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Two main reasons:

1. Would like to see Pageau do well.
2. It is an "anti-Leaf" stance to take, due to the Tavares-pyjamas-living-the-childhood-dream saga.

I see but our top priority should be by far their 1st round pick that we own.

For me it comes down to four reasons:
  • They have good former Sens in Brassard and Pageau,
  • There's no recent history of a rivalry. Yashin's long gone, and it's been nearly two decades since we played them in the postseason, and none of their current players have done anything untoward to our team,
  • Their lack of recent success makes them a fun underdog to cheer for. They've not sniffed a cup since before our team was founded.
  • I sympathize with their fans, both for the poor running of the team for over a decade and for being the junior partner in a larger media market. The Islanders are to the Rangers as the Senators are to the Maple Leafs.
Thank you for coming to my Ted talk on the New York Islanders.

All true but... when I see your username I can only think about

tenor.gif

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
41 pts in 51 gms is pretty impressive in the AHL for a 21 yr old and he had 2 hat tricks too iirc.

I hope he can become a Gallagher type player for us.

I think this board is sleeping on VA.. I don’t think the gap between the bottom of our NHL roster, Formenton/Balcers , and VA is that big.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think this board is sleeping on VA.. I don’t think the gap between the bottom of our NHL roster, Formenton/Balcers , and VA is that big.

I see a bit of separation between Balcers/Formenton and Abramov, but totally agree that these guys are going to be knocking at the door.

I checked out the top rookies in AHL scoring from past years and it's far from a slam dunk that any of these guys translate. But i'm optimistic.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
his playoffs was horrible. Just feel he’s breaking down fast and the production won’t be there going forward.

22 goals in 59 games, same 30 goal pace as the last two seasons. 3rd straight year putting up a 30 goal pace (and reaching it the previous two years since he didn't get injured and Covid). He's a proven 30 goal guy, plays hard every single shift. He's a special player.

He had suboptimal playoffs this year, that's a total of 9 games. 9 games has never defined a player and never will especially when he's done so much to prove his worth, like he did again this season, which was only a couple months ago.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'll be surprised if he ever returns to NA or finds his way out of the AHL tbh. IMO they should trade him if anyone has any interest, I don't see him on any future team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And why is that? Do explain
Because they already have four forwards who I think are ahead of him & will be on any future team in Batherson, Pinto, Tkachuk & you Formenton. Add to that Duclair & C. Brown & whichever forward they get at 3 & 5 this yr & you quickly run out of forward spots.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Because they already have four forwards who I think are ahead of him & will be on any future team in Batherson, Pinto, Tkachuk & you Formenton. Add to that Duclair & C. Brown & whichever forward they get at 3 & 5 this yr & you quickly run out of forward spots.
You said you don’t see him ever playing on any nhl team, not just the sens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->