Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Development isn't strictly about logging games played. This idea that Batherson and Chlapik are being mishandled because they aren't getting games at the NHL level is overly simplistic. I'd rather know these guys are playing meaningful minutes over just playing minutes. If that's in the AHL, for the time being, then so be it. The NHL roster will not make the playoffs. The AHL roster has a good chance at being a potential championship team - certainly in the mix among other contenders. Why does the idea that developing players by offering really meaningful minutes - albeit in a lesser league - diminish their development when the alternative is getting killed at the NHL level on a team that has absolutely no business not being a bottom 5 team this year?

I think it good for some of our prospects who, as you say, will play important roles and big minutes but it's also not so great when you have Norris and Davisson playing 4rth line AHL minutes and Veronneau a healthy scratch...

Reactions: harrisb

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Development isn't strictly about logging games played. This idea that Batherson and Chlapik are being mishandled because they aren't getting games at the NHL level is overly simplistic. I'd rather know these guys are playing meaningful minutes over just playing minutes. If that's in the AHL, for the time being, then so be it. The NHL roster will not make the playoffs. The AHL roster has a good chance at being a potential championship team - certainly in the mix among other contenders. Why does the idea that developing players by offering really meaningful minutes - albeit in a lesser league - diminish their development when the alternative is getting killed at the NHL level on a team that has absolutely no business not being a bottom 5 team this year?

Who claimed that?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Should we maybe be looking at a quantity for quality deal for prospects? Package two or 3 for a higher end prospect? We have a bunch of draft picks coming up as well. Maybe we can package guys for a more blue chip guy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He moves the puck faster then anyone on the team and I like his vision.

Reactions: OD99

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Should we maybe be looking at a quantity for quality deal for prospects? Package two or 3 for a higher end prospect? We have a bunch of draft picks coming up as well. Maybe we can package guys for a more blue chip guy.

Won't find any teams doing that.

Any team with a blue chipper they're willing to move isn't going to want Grade B magic beans...they'll be moving the kid for an established (high end) NHLer.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He moves the puck faster then anyone on the team and I like his vision.
That is how you force a team to keep you.

4th line yet stood out with hustle and smart plays. Goal was a bonus - he stood out many times and if he can string a few together should be moved up the lines.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Little too good out there Vitaly. Only question now is whether he gets a healthy scratch for a game or if he buys a ticket for Brampton right now.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Won't find any teams doing that.

Any team with a blue chipper they're willing to move isn't going to want Grade B magic beans...they'll be moving the kid for an established (high end) NHLer.

There's gotta be a happy medium.

Just like no team will trade a 5th overall pick for a 35th and 50th pick... But they might trade away a 25th pick for a 35th and 50th...same idea with prospects... No, a team won't trade a top prospect for 2 b guys...but maybe they trade for the slightest downgrade to also get a prospect in a different position.

If the difference between the two better prospects being flipped is large then the other team won't unload the better prospect...but if the difference is smaller, maybe throwing in another lesser prospect that they also like gets it done.

We've seen young players and prospects get flipped with an additional piece to make up the difference. Maybe we need to be looking to make one of those trades where we're the team adding because we're getting the mostly agreed superior player.

Maybe a team has a prospect in a position they're loaded for 2 slightly lesser prospects in a position of need. Maybe a team has a bunch of skilled wingers in the system so theyre open to trading a skilled winger prospect for slightly lesser center+defenseman prospects.

Like a Norris+Bernard docker for a higher ranked winger prospect. Just using that as an example.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Who claimed that?

Dorion signed way too many AHL forwards with no NHL future, and that was obvious before Batherson and Chlapik were sent down.

Szwarz, Carcone, Rodewald, Klimchuk, Labate, Beaudin - at least 2-3 too many. On the flip side, after trading Ebert, Belleville clearly needs another decent AHL D or two.

Yeah these guys will help Belleville Senators win some hockey games, but if it's at the expense of the development of our young players, it's hard to make the argument that it helps the Ottawa Senators.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Dorion signed way too many AHL forwards with no NHL future, and that was obvious before Batherson and Chlapik were sent down.

Szwarz, Carcone, Rodewald, Klimchuk, Labate, Beaudin - at least 2-3 too many. On the flip side, after trading Ebert, Belleville clearly needs another decent AHL D or two.

Yeah these guys will help Belleville Senators win some hockey games, but if it's at the expense of the development of our young players, it's hard to make the argument that it helps the Ottawa Senators.

Two of those guys are on the 5th line... who are they blocking?

All of these guys will play 70 games, theres nothing to worry about. A competitive atmosphere is good for everyone.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

For sure. A guy like Rodewald needs to be traded for a good AHL D. Someone like a Cody Goloubef. If it's a guy that could play out the string in Ottawa after the deadline, so much the better.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I do not mind the rookie players in the AHL being gradually introduced into the league by playing on the 4th line or 3rd line at the start of the season. Once they have 15 to 20 games experience, I would hope they have adjusted to the higher level of play and then can rise in the lineup as their competence allows. Not a bad way to proceed.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Two of those guys are on the 5th line... who are they blocking?

All of these guys will play 70 games, theres nothing to worry about. A competitive atmosphere is good for everyone.

Well apparently Veronneau, but that may change. In any case Beaudin, Labate and Sturtz aren't going to play on the 5th line forever. They are obviously going to get into some games, and who leaves the lineup to make that happen? Probably young guys that have far more potential than they do.

It's also not just the number of games played, it's where the players are playing and how many minutes they are getting. Chlapik, Norris, Veronneau and Davidsson should be getting top 6 or at the very least top 9 minutes. That would be much better for their development than playing limited minutes in primarily defensive roles.

I care far less about Belleville winning hockey games than I do about it being a good place for developing our young players. Having guys like Szwarz, Carcone, Klimchuk, Beaudin, Labate and (frankly at this stage) Paul getting minutes instead of our more promising young players hurts us in the future.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
If Abramov continues to impress, then that Duchene trade could end up being pretty good, although, it is way too early to lay judgement on Lassi Thomson (I believe he was taken with the CBJ pick?). Abramov is small, but feisty, he plays hard and seems like the player who loves to touch the puck and goes after it.

Dorion should make more trades with CBJ as he keeps pulling a "Wilson on Dorion" with Kekalainen.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
If Abramov continues to impress, then that Duchene trade could end up being pretty good, although, it is way too early to lay judgement on Lassi Thomson (I believe he was taken with the CBJ pick?). Abramov is small, but feisty, he plays hard and seems like the player who loves to touch the puck and goes after it.

Dorion should make more trades with CBJ as he keeps pulling a "Wilson on Dorion" with Kekalainen.

It's only pretty good if you forget about what was dealt to obtain Duchene.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Well apparently Veronneau, but that may change. In any case Beaudin, Labate and Sturtz aren't going to play on the 5th line forever. They are obviously going to get into some games, and who leaves the lineup to make that happen? Probably young guys that have far more potential than they do.

It's also not just the number of games played, it's where the players are playing and how many minutes they are getting. Chlapik, Norris, Veronneau and Davidsson should be getting top 6 or at the very least top 9 minutes. That would be much better for their development than playing limited minutes in primarily defensive roles.

I care far less about Belleville winning hockey games than I do about it being a good place for developing our young players. Having guys like Szwarz, Carcone, Klimchuk, Beaudin, Labate and (frankly at this stage) Paul getting minutes instead of our more promising young players hurts us in the future.

I think guys like Szwarz, Carcone and Klimchuk are good guys to have around. You need good vets and those guys have all proven that they can score. Ice time + opportunity helps to develop, but so does team success + experienced linemates.

There will be tons of injuries, there always are, and I trust that the guys will be brought along effectively. Mann did a very good job with Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Balcers and Wolanin last year and I think he will do the same with Norris, Formenton, Davidsson and Veronneau this year. I'd look into trading Paul, Rodewald, or Szwarz for a legit top 4 D, but right now I don't mind the approach at all and don't think theres much reason for concern at all. An AHL playoff run where our guys slowly seize larger and larger roles will be more important for development than getting 15mins a game from day 1, imo

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Maybe the big three in Belleville could watch Abramov and learn the speed up their game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad