Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I think the problem for Abramov right now is beating out Batherson for a RW spot. My guess is The Drake has the inside track for the moment. But I'm certainly happy to see Vitaly stepping his game up.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
A couple of goals in a rookie tournament and intra squad games have some people losing their minds. Unless Abramov made huge strides over the offseason he has a long way to go and is still a long shot to become an impact NHLer. The longer camp goes the better of an idea we will get but based on what I have seen of the player prior to this month I don't think it's likely he can make a positive impact on the team this season.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He has more skill and higher potential than a guy like Formenton. If he puts up some good numbers on the AHL he could be up by Christmas

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He has more skill and higher potential than a guy like Formenton. If he puts up some good numbers on the AHL he could be up by Christmas
Not sure about that. But they have top 6 potential. Probably more likely 3rd line but not far fetched to predict at least a couple of 2nd-3rd line tweeners. And that's good enough.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
A couple of goals in a rookie tournament and intra squad games have some people losing their minds. Unless Abramov made huge strides over the offseason he has a long way to go and is still a long shot to become an impact NHLer. The longer camp goes the better of an idea we will get but based on what I have seen of the player prior to this month I don't think it's likely he can make a positive impact on the team this season.
who's "losing their minds"?
I mean he could turn out to be a 50 pt right winger by next year. It's not guaranteed by any means, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
ok, so one guy. got it

I don't think anyone is losing their minds, but as it's always been with development and training camps some people are overly optimistic with prospects and I'll say even more now that we need these guys to really succeed if we want to be a good team going forward with the lack of legitimate NHL talent on the roster. Abramov is performing great right now, there's no denying that and I think it's a great sign after his somewhat challenging first season last year but I think what MrCA is saying is that we should keep our expectations in check.

Also considering who these prospects were traded for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They would have different expectations and different strengths. If I could keep one of them on any team, it would be Formenton

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Drake is off to a slowish start. One good/great NHL exhibition game from VA and the RW competition chatter will heat up.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
who's "losing their minds"?
I mean he could turn out to be a 50 pt right winger by next year. It's not guaranteed by any means, but it's within the realm of possibility.
50 pts in the AHL. hes not a 50 pt nhler at the moment and wont be next year imo

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Drake is off to a slowish start. One good/great NHL exhibition game from VA and the RW competition chatter will heat up.
Drake showed elite level hockey sense and vision on a few shifts. He is not in danger of losing his spot. The game was incredibly sloppy and the puck possession wasnt close to NHL caliber. He isnt going to thrive in that style game, people need to relax and understand its the first exibition game of the year. Its meaningless.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Drake showed elite level hockey sense and vision on a few shifts. He is not in danger of losing his spot. The game was incredibly sloppy and the puck possession wasnt close to NHL caliber. He isnt going to thrive in that style game, people need to relax and understand its the first exibition game of the year. Its meaningless.

I agree 100% .. but a dull camp starts with 1-2 dull games. There is nothing wrong with recognizing that one kid is off to a slow start and the other a quick start. 10 games into the NHL is a long way away and lots will change. All I said was if VA keeps scoring the chatter will pick up. I'm pretty sure it won't decrease if he gets 2G tonight.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As I have said before, Abramov does have some high end skill but he doesn't seem to know where to be defensively & is often late coming back. IMO it will be his defensive game that will hurt him in the NHL unless he can turn into Hoffman & score consistently in the AHL first & NHL afterwards. The GM has to clear some room in Ottawa first & that could take a while leading up to the deadline especially if his hope is to win the draft lottery. But he could get some games after the deadline.

While Abramov can pay RW he is a left shot, not sure if coaches are going to the forwards playing their natural side or not, but it seems to be going that way in the NHL, although a number of guys still play their wrong side. And if we are talking about the LW I think he would be behind Tkachuk, Formenton & (Lafrenieire or Byfield), if Ottawa selects one of them in the 2020 draft. I doubt they would play him on the 4th line with his skill & see Paul or Kelly ahead of him as a 4th line option.

On RW I have Batherson & Ryan ahead of Abramov & probably Duclair who is also a left shot but can play either wing. That again leaves a 4th line RW spot which IMO would be better suited for a guy like Rodewald than Abramov. Of course, they could go with a small 4th line but I doubt they will. He has to do better than he did last night to beat out all of the players ahead of him IMO.

Reactions: NORiculous

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
If there's one thing you can say about him, it's that he has a nonstop motor. Will be nice seeing him out there giving a damn while our 'veteran leadership' looks like they're skating in mud.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
You got this Big V. I believe in you.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F16312b76-c652-11e8-a4a5-a34bea2c1d04.jpg

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Such a dumb thing to tweet, from a so called professional.

the message they took with them was whatever the coaching staff told them before they left.

Lazy reporting to get clicks from people who enjoy cheap digs.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Development isn't strictly about logging games played. This idea that Batherson and Chlapik are being mishandled because they aren't getting games at the NHL level is overly simplistic. I'd rather know these guys are playing meaningful minutes over just playing minutes. If that's in the AHL, for the time being, then so be it. The NHL roster will not make the playoffs. The AHL roster has a good chance at being a potential championship team - certainly in the mix among other contenders. Why does the idea that developing players by offering really meaningful minutes - albeit in a lesser league - diminish their development when the alternative is getting killed at the NHL level on a team that has absolutely no business not being a bottom 5 team this year?

Reactions: swiftwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad