Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov (RW)

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
With his recent performances in the rookie tournament, Abramov has put himself on the coaches radar. Does anything think he can crack the full time roster? I think he has great potential and could be a valuable piece to us because he covers a huge need on the RW.

Reactions: Brannstorm

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With his recent performances in the rookie tournament, Abramov has put himself on the coaches radar. Does anything think he can crack the full time roster? I think he has great potential and could be a valuable piece to us because he covers a huge need on the RW.

I would bet he does not crack the roster full time. His play may get him an extended look but I don't think he cracks it.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He definitely put himself on the radar. The thing is though, his stat line in the AHL last year was poor. Management will probably want to see him produce well in Belleville next year before having him in Ottawa. Hopefully he becomes a player for us.

Reactions: jehkob

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Abramov is a three fold improvement on Connor Brown for example even right now. Abramov is the best RW on this team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Abramov is the best RW on this team.

Not to dismiss all the great things Abramov has done this summer/fall against other rookies and in training camp, but I wouldn't be so quick to make blanket statements like that until we see what he's like in regular-season games against seasoned NHL veterans.

Abramov was one of the older players at rookie camp, and was expected to dominate as such, where he was significantly more developed than most other players there.

At training camp, games aren't at full speed, especially inter-squad games, where the physicality of games is reduced tenfold. Guys like Connor Brown, for instance, surely isn't playing intra-squad games at full speed/physicality.

I'm just saying - I've been impressed with Abramov too, but these aren't even close to real NHL games being played. The standard "Bochenski Effect" warning still can be at play for a lot of these kids.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Let him overcook in Belleville. He can get a few games on the big club if he kills it like Drake did last season, and after the deadline.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Abramov is a three fold improvement on Connor Brown for example even right now. Abramov is the best RW on this team.

He scored 16G in total last year in the AHL ? Hopefully he takes a step but getting 10-15 in the NHL would be positive but not 3x the value of Brown. Brown is probably better on the defensive side of the puck too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm just saying - I've been impressed with Abramov too, but these aren't even close to real NHL games being played. The standard "Bochenski Effect" warning still can be at play for a lot of these kids.

'tis the time of year where we can expect lively debate over who will step up their game and take home the coveted "Brandon Bochenski Award TM"

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Not to dismiss all the great things Abramov has done this summer/fall against other rookies and in training camp, but I wouldn't be so quick to make blanket statements like that until we see what he's like in regular-season games against seasoned NHL veterans.

Abramov was one of the older players at rookie camp, and was expected to dominate as such, where he was significantly more developed than most other players there.

At training camp, games aren't at full speed, especially inter-squad games, where the physicality of games is reduced tenfold. Guys like Connor Brown, for instance, surely isn't playing intra-squad games at full speed/physicality.

Abramov would easy score 25 goals and 50 points as top six in his first year. And it would not be satisfactory for you. You will all ask for more. C. Brown is only good for 25-28 points and 15 goals. Not top six and should not be on this team.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Abramov would easy score 25 goals and 50 points as top six in his first year. And it would not be satisfactory for you. You will all ask for more. C. Brown is only good for 25-28 points and 15 goals. Not top six and should not be on this team.
I'm going to assume Bonk would be thrilled with those numbers for Abramov

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Abramov would easy score 25 goals and 50 points as top six in his first year. And it would not be satisfactory for you. You will all ask for more.

I think you are being pretty presumptuous about your claims on what I will or won't do if a rookie has an undeniably excellent NHL debut season.

I'm just saying that training camp ≠ regular season NHL games.

We go through this every year.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think you are being pretty presumptuous about your claims on what I will or won't do if a rookie has an undeniably excellent NHL debut season.

You'd think Brandon Bochenski would have been enough of a cautionary tale.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah totally... 21 y/o, 33 pts and 75 pro games and he is better than a guy with 684 pro hockey points and a guy who just went over PPG in the AHL in his 20 y/o rookie season. Even Connor Brown has 207 pro points and he is just 25 y/o. He's a guy that has been a bit buried in the Leafs forward depth of the last few seasons, so don't count him out. Or what about Davidsson? Another guy he'll have to battle with for a RW spot.

And there's even more, depending on who claims spots where in the forward group, Colin White, Rudolf Balcers, Anthony Duclair, Mikkel Boedker (412 pro points in N/A), Tyler Ennis (351 pro points) and Max Veronneau are other guys that could get some RW time this season.

If Abramov reaches either 412 pro points by the time he's 29 yo, or 684 pro points by the time he's 32, I'll consider him a major success and that you were right but as it stands right now, this statement seems a little bit premature

Personally, I expect to see Abramov all year in Belleville (minus a call up or two when injuries) and I hope he's going to post a 0.80 PPG+

That being said, I hope you will be right and he breaks out in a major way as a top-6 forward. Then the prospect pool would be even more amazing than I think and would be a damn good problem to have.

Could even package a few young guys/prospects and get a young star from another team but problem is Melnyk and his desire to pay full market value in contracts.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Abramov shoots left, but I'm quite sure can play either wing, he's a player who doesn't need a setup man but can create his own offence. I doubt he starts the yr in Ottawa, there are simply too many other players ahead of him including a number of "one way" contracts that will need to be moved this yr to make roster room. Being a very offensive player I see Abramov on a scoring line & not necessarily on a checking line. If he is still around for the start of the 2020 season than we should know by then whether he is a keeper or if there is a move to get something for him while he still has some value.

There is certainly a need for at least one RWer in Ottawa since IMO Batherson & Ryan (Ryan should still be around for another yr or two) will take up two RW spots right off the bat, I doubt anyone thinks these two are not on the team next yr. I'm also quite sure that C. Brown will be given one RW spot for at least a yr or two, if not more depending on his play in Ottawa. That leaves one 4th line RW spot that IMO could be given to an older guy like Rodewald to finish the yr after the trade deadline as a "thank you for your service" type deal we often see. Although, I think he starts the yr in Belleville because of the number of one way contracts already in Ottawa & EM not wanting to pay NHL salaries to players playing in Belleville. But once a few bodies are traded away & spots open up, I could see Rodewald on a 4th line in a checking role who can add a little offence. Of course, unless he turns into Josh Anderson, I doubt he sticks past next season though.

IMO these are the guys I see who are in the future plans of this franchise & could be on the team as early as the 2020 season. NHL Coaches these days seem to like tandems that work well together & need a complimentary player for each tandem on each line. All of the other players/prospects I think will be fighting for these complimentary spots going into the 2020 season.

1. L. Brown C & D. Batherson RW
- Ottawa needs to draft an elite player to play LW with these two in the 2020 draft, either Lafreniere or Byfield would work well on this top line.

2. B. Tkachuk LW - C. White C
- Ottawa already has some options to play with these two in Ryan & C. Brown but a more offensive player IMO would work better than a checking forward like C. Brown. They may need to draft one in 2021 or trade for one, if Veronneau or Davidsson don't work out.

3. A. Formenton LW - J. Norris C
- another line that needs a RWer & IMO Ryan would fit in nicely here for a couple of yrs until S. Pinto C/RW is ready, if it is their intention to play him at RW, otherwise they will still need another RWer (maybe one of Veronneau or Davidsson).

4. N. Paul LW - M. Kastelic C
- while it's still very early, this coaching staff seemed to have a lot of confidence in Kastelic's ability to win faceoffs in the rookie tournament. I think it's possible that he could be a 4th line option for them given he shoots right & could play RW too & is very good defensively. If they decide to play Pinto at centre he would be an interesting option at centre on this 4th line giving it a little more offence, creativity & speed. Ottawa also has a few guys who could end up playing on this 4th line at centre in Pageau, Tierny & Chlapik although IMO they could all be traded at some point.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did Connor Brown sugar your gas tank or something? What the heck does he have to do with Abramov?

Sidenote: apparently sugar in a gas tank doesn't do much but potentially clog up the filter as the sugar doesn't dissolve in gas...

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Did Connor Brown sugar your gas tank or something? What the heck does he have to do with Abramov?

Sidenote: apparently sugar in a gas tank doesn't do much but potentially clog up the filter as the sugar doesn't dissolve in gas...

Well reading that take on Abramov and Brown was like having to relieve some clogged gas, if you know what I'm getting at

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Actually, sugar in your gas tank can still be pretty bad, depending on how long it's in there, but not for the reasons we think.

Because it doesn't dissolve in gas, you won't notice that there was ever sugar in your tank until your engine suffers long-term damage. The gas will basically always be in the tank because it barely dissolves at all, and slowly circulates through the engine bit by bit and creating a sticky mess in the long term.

So the old idea of sugar in the tank immediately ruining an engine is totally bunk, but leave it in there for a year (because if someone sugars your tank you won't even know it's there, and wouldn't know to have it cleaned out) it's definitely bad on a long-term schedule.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

Not at all. Abramov and L. Brown are two the most skilled forwards on this team. Hockey 101. How to improve goals against and win some games. It is only in the increase of the offensive zone time. You increase it by a slight margin, and you reduce the opposing team time on the offence. Your defense core will not be overworked that much, goalies more protected and the whole team will have less injuries. The only two players on this team who can cycle the puck in the offensive zone at the NHL level are Brown and Abramov. I watched almost every AHL game, as soon as they play together it is magical and everything clicks. In DJ Smith we do not have a smart coach again. Having Formenton with Brown)))))) When the line should be Batherson - Brown - Abramov. And you will see right away the offensive zone time dramatic increase.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Abramov and L. Brown are two the most skilled forwards on this team.

Counterpoint:

giphy.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Glad he is playing well, competition breeds success and it will force the other rookies to sink or swim. I dont care who makes it, I just want it to be for the player that earns and deserves it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Counterpoint:

giphy.gif

If we're talking about skill (puckhandling, playmaking, shooting), Brown definitely beats Tkachuk there.

But if we're talking about overall effectiveness offensively, it's obviously Tkachuk until Brown proves otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad