ruutu vs zherdev... longterm potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
first off, i'll admit this is for fantasy hockey purposes... :)

i want to know who you guys think has better long term offensive potential. ruutu has been playing much better of late (i haven't had a chance to see him on tv though), and zherdev has looked impressive so far. granted they play different styles, but i was thinking zherdev as more of a superstud offensive force than ruutu... short term, the nod goes to ruutu i think (mainly 'cause of zherdev's uncertain arbitration situation).

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'd go with Zherdev. Not only is he an awesome player himself, he'll be playing with Nash for the next 10 years.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I'd say Zherdev...

Not only he has more Offensive potential, his defensive awareness lacks are a lot less important than we eard.

Ruutu for sure will his team captain soon and is a little more the complete package.

Never forget that Zherdev will play with Nash for a long time.

BJ21

streetballer03

Nov 27, 2003
Vancouver Island
www.nba.com
Ruutu hands down. he has immense potential and he shows the gifts he posseses so naturally. It doesnt show on the score sheet but he'll silently be one of the best players in his prime in the mold of Peter Forsberg

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
[sarcasm] great... no clear consensus... gee, thanks guys... [/sarcasm]

whatever happens at zherdev's arbitration hearing will clear things up. btw, i'm the one with ruutu right now, and i'd have to add a little more to get zherdev.

Last edited:

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Cayouche5 said:
how can you say that he never play in a playoff game in the NHL. and will not till 2-3 years.
Players exerce leadership qualities before they win their first cup, up to this point in both their careers, Ruutu has shown those attributes, and Zherdev is far from having done that. I think Ruutu will be good in the playoffs, and he has a lot more intangibles than Zherdev.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I like Ruutu, it seems like Zherdev is obviously the more exciting player out of the two but to win games you need to play defense as well and Ruutu does just that as well will produce offense. Overall i think Ruutu will produce slightly lower points in his career something like a 60-70 range, but will do a good job in his end and Zherdev i think has the potential to range in something like a 80+ range, but would you be willing to sacrafice 10 pts more for a player that plays poorly in his own end...

jacketracket*

ginblossoms said:
[sarcasm] great... no clear consensus... gee, thanks guys... [/sarcasm]

whatever happens at zherdev's arbitration hearing will clear things up. btw, i'm the one with ruutu right now, and i'd have to add a little more to get zherdev.
For fantasy purposes, I'd give Ruutu for Zherdev.

Long term, I think Z will be the flashier player, but I like Ruutu's intangibles---guy looks like a leader on a young, rebuilding Hawks team.

He sure looked good here in Columbus the other night. :(

jacketracket*

littleHossa said:
Players exerce leadership qualities before they win their first cup, up to this point in both their careers, Ruutu has shown those attributes, and Zherdev is far from having done that. I think Ruutu will be good in the playoffs, and he has a lot more intangibles than Zherdev.
Sorry, I didn't see your post before I posted. Looks like I pretty much echoed what you said---but you said it much better than I did. :)

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
streetballer03 said:
Ruutu hands down. he has immense potential and he shows the gifts he posseses so naturally. It doesnt show on the score sheet but he'll silently be one of the best players in his prime in the mold of Peter Forsberg

I like Ruutu's game quite a bit, but comparing him to Forsberg? At this point, Ruutu has shown nothing to indicate he has the pure offensive skills of Forsberg. As others of said, he'll certainly develop into a 60-80 point player, but I don't see any 100-point seasons in his future.

CFABoy

Mar 27, 2003
Richmond, BC
Visit site
Ruutu has a lot of intangibles that will make him a very good captain. Intensity, Offense, Crashing the net, Defense (although you wouldn't know it from his +/-), and heart. He reminds me of a Jeremy Roenick.

It all depends wHo would you rather have on your team? Roenick or Bure??

May 1, 2003
Visit site
CFABoy said:
Ruutu has a lot of intangibles that will make him a very good captain. Intensity, Offense, Crashing the net, Defense (although you wouldn't know it from his +/-), and heart. He reminds me of a Jeremy Roenick.

It all depends wHo would you rather have on your team? Roenick or Bure??

Agreed completley, on one hand you got Zherdev the flashy high scoring winger that plays pretty poor defense and other the other you got Ruutu the well rounded centre with strong leadership qualities...

As i said in the earlier post i prefer Ruutu

X-SHARKIE

It's not like Ruutu doesn't have skill as well.

I love both prospects alot! But Ruutu is my man on this one.

Ruutu is no Foppa.... I see his upside around 70 points, but he does things not many others can do. The intangibles are there as other said. Roenick is a good comparison mentally. But Zherdev is not a bad one either, he's got amazing skill, sick skill. He's also has this competivness that I just love and that drives players to be the best.

Both are excelent prospects. Close but i'll take Ruutu.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I much prefer Ruutu but since the poster asked about offense for fantasy purpose (wrong forum, BTW), I would give Zherdev the edge here.
hehe... yeah, i realize that... but the prospects board gets MUCH MORE traffic, and the two guys are still 'prospects'... kinda sorta

jacketracket*

#2 said:
Agreed completley, on one hand you got Zherdev the flashy high scoring winger that plays pretty poor defense and other the other you got Ruutu the well rounded centre with strong leadership qualities...

As i said in the earlier post i prefer Ruutu
Granted, Z won't be a Selke nominee any time soon, but we who get to watch him on a regular basis here in Columbus have been pleasantly surprised w/his defensive efforts.

I don't think his D skills are any worse than most 19-year olds playing their first year in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad