Ruutu ou Zherdev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyHigh

Jan 16, 2004
Hmm, this is a really good question.

Tuomo's abysmal plus/minus is a bit of a turn-off, but one must remember that he DOES play on the Blackhawks (speaking of abysmal :D ) and that he did have bad line-mates for much of the year.

Zherdev is a great player. One of the TSN guys was talking about Datsyuk and Zetterberg and said "they sure can dangle" and I think this also applies to Zherdev. He can do some beautiful things and he also has shown that he will hit.

I'll take Tuomo over Zherdev. Zherdev will be a better points guy, but I think that Tuomo will be the more complete player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Beukeboom Fan said:
Just wondering, did you see Ruutu before or after the all-star break? Because before the break, he was getting limited icetime with players like Travis Moen & Scott Nichol. After the all-star break, he played with Arnason & Daze and averaged OVER a PPG.

Here are the splits:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/splits?statsId=2845

Just one more point as well. Ruutu score 44 points as a rookie, coming off of knee surgery and playing with some AHL level stiffs for 2/3's of the season. Do you really expect that he's not going to improve from this point on, as your projection shows? Does this mean that Jamie Lundmark is going to be a 15 point producer for the rest of his career?

I think I'd take Ruutu over Zherdev. I'm a Hawk's fan, so my opinion is biased, and I'll admit that. If both guys reach their potential, Zherdev will outscore Ruutu by 10-15 points IMO. Those 15 points won't outweight the physical and defensive presence that Ruutu will bring to the game IMO. Only concern that I have with Ruutu is that he has had 2 knee injuries, and the physical toll his style of game that he plays make a major injury more likely than for Zherdev.

Yes, I did see him. Quite often. Center Ice is great for prospect watching around the NHL.

But I still don't like him. He didn't show any ability to dominate to me. He was a strong player, yes, but I didn't see the whole domination quality in him that people are expecting.

Look, he's going to be a good player. Someone everyone will need on their teams.

I just think he's overhyped is all.

Del Griffith

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Zherdev. This dude came to the NHL in January, didn't attend training camp, and look how he played. He's going to be a scary power forward!

Wow. I love Zherdev as much as anyone (even over T.R., although I like him as well - nice thread goin here), but he's about as far from a POWER forward as you can get.

How about a "jitterbug, slick stick, sniper-biotch forward"? That is more like it.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
This is apples & oranges. A dancer & a bouncer. Mr. Outside/Mr. Inside. Although I believe many people underestimate Ruutu's offensive capability. 28 pts in 27 games after dropping Moen & Vandenbusche & getting with Daze/Arnason.
They will both be great players, just different.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I've seen both play and I like them both. But Ruutu is a serious notch above him. His upside is higher and his style is unique.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I'd take Ruutu. The whole package and that's more valuable than the extra points Zherdev *may* be able to put on the board.

Both guys still have a lot to prove obviously. But Ruutu is already up there among the fierce body checkers in the league. He elevated his whole game, including his offense, in the second half. It is quite obvious he was still not 100% when he started (the knee).

Not only is he going to be the complete package on ice, the guy is reported to be the ultimate team player and has the assets needed to be a great leader. The leadership aspect alone is not negligible.

I also thought he handled the pressure well after the numerous bumps on the road (Some of the toughtest negociations for a top prospect I have ever seen, playing on a ****** team, overcoming the injury, living up to the expectaions after his agent's stupid declaration, fans expectations, THN hype).

You can put this guy on any line (preferably not the first, but he'll handle it if needed), he can play wing or center, he plays tough, can play defensively, offensively and contribute to the leadership.

I'd take special talents before him but I do not feel Zherdev is special enough. Now, I understand some may prefer Zherdev, but I cannot take seriously anyone who would take Zherdev "easily" because what Ruutu brings to the table is extremely valuable for meaningful hockey games. He's extremely versatile and can win you a game in several ways, including taking out the other team's best players.

One real question mark on him is whether he will be injury prone, especially in a few years. That could lower his value to some. It's certainly something I consider,

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Ruutu, he'll probably score less points in the regular season but he's got PLAYOFF WARRIOR written all over him. At the end of the what matters more, Presidents Trophy or Stanley Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad