Ruutu-2 Goals Tonite thru 2 Pds v. BJs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Two more goals for the red hot Tuomo Ruutu tonite against the BJs, the second was a beauty fromm radio reports.

After a slow start he now has 12 goals and is tied for 5th among rooks.
1.Hunter-22
2/3.Ryder, Malone-18
4.Bergeron-16
5.RUUTU,Stajan,Lombardo-12

Not much to be excited about being a Hawk fan but Ruutu stepping it up is sure exciting. Ane he is a pain in the but to play against too. He is starting to show where the hype came from.

:yo: :yo: :yo:

Carbonneau

Jan 31, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I got to watch this guy twice last year here in Nova Scotia.

The 1st was an exhibition game in Truro against Team Swizterland. Ruutu had a presence on the ice and was by far the best player there, and thats with Pitikanen on the team.

The 2nd was New Years eve in Halifax against Team Canada, Ruutu and Tootoo, had a great battle over who had the most vowels in their last name.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
He just added an assist as Kyle Calder tipped in his hot and the Hawks just went up 4-3 with a couple minutes to go.

A 3 point night, his second in the last couple weeks. Way to go Tuomo!!!

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
The thing is that his knee is finally close to being healthy.Tuomo recently admitted
is the finnish media that his knee was far from 100% in the first 30 games and it really affected his skating.This combined with being in a new league and on a terrible team contributed to his slow start. He'll likely finnish with 30-35 points,which is fairly close to what THN and Forecaster predicted for this season.Look for him to score around 50-60 points next season (if there is one) and max out around 70 points.Go Tuomo!

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
So what is his peak potential? Peter Forsberg?

Some seem to think so...I am open to the idea

a 60 to 70 point first line player?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I guess peak potential could be Forsberg, but i'd expect more like Joe Thornton or Mikey Mo in a few years.

He is so physical though...more physical than the ones mentioned. Maybe that will take some off from his point production.

RedWingRussian

Great to see Tuomo pick it up!The only finn I have on my team in my keeper league.

Sticky*

psycho_dad said:
I guess peak potential could be Forsberg, but i'd expect more like Joe Thornton or Mikey Mo in a few years.

He is so physical though...more physical than the ones mentioned. Maybe that will take some off from his point production.

That's hilarious. Ruutu plays absolutely nothing like Modano. I don't know where you got that comparison from. Probably wishful thinking. I wish you guys would actually watch players play, before you start comparing their styles.

I would say that Ruutu looks like Ryan Smyth, which is good, but nothing more.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sticky said:
That's hilarious. Ruutu plays absolutely nothing like Modano. I don't know where you got that comparison from. Probably wishful thinking. I wish you guys would actually watch players play, before you start comparing their styles.

:lol:

Yeah, too bad us Finns didn't have the opportunity to watch him when he played 3 seasons in the Finnish SM-liiga. And we've seen enough of Modano when NHL was still on Finnish tv to know what his style is like. You're right about Modano being a poor comparison stylewise, though.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Jussi said:
:lol:

Yeah, too bad us Finns didn't have the opportunity to watch him when he played 3 seasons in the Finnish SM-liiga. And we've seen enough of Modano when NHL was still on Finnish tv to know what his style is like. You're right about Modano being a poor comparison stylewise, though.

Yeah, Modano is a pretty bad comparison in style, thats why I added that Ruutu is more physical than the bunch I mentioned. And you are right Jussi, I can easily say I am in better position to judge Ruutus potential than the guy who replied...I have seen Tuomo play in Finland, in WJC and in NHL. I have seen Modano play for years and years from both finnish TV and on cable.

I guess I should have been more clear on the point...I think Ruutu has the offensive upside of Modano, but he is way more physical.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that I actually lived in Waxahachie near Dallas, so I have seen Modano play live too on many occasions. In the old arena.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ruutu reminds me of a young Mike Peca (before he was Michael). Flying around with heat seeking missles for hits, and able to put up the points as well. The only difference is that Ruutu has much more scoring potential. I doubt he scores like Forsberg, but he could have a similar defensive career.

I would think that he is a solid 60-70 point guy, with a couple of 80-90 point seasons in him, and he will be a top line C. He is as good as advertised, he just needed to adjust.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I watched him in a game a few weeks ago in Calgary. And he would just take the puck skate all over with total domination, then either make a nice pass after drawing people towards him or rifiling a shot on goal...

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Dempsey said:
In his last 26 games Ruutu has 19 points. A 60-point pace when put over 82 games.

Should be focusing more on his progression, stats like this are meaningless. I've scored 7 goals in my last 3 games... guesss that'd mean I'd score 191 goals over a 82 game stretch!!! You guys should be talking about as the next one.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Sticky said:

I would say that Ruutu looks like Ryan Smyth, which is good, but nothing more.

What the hell was that?

You tell people to watch players before they make comparisons but then you do the same thing yourself.

Ruutu is nothin like Ryan Smyth.

If Ruutu was a borderline skater, physical at times and goes to the net to tip in pucks and slap in rebounds than i could see your comparison.

The player to compare him to is Forsberg because he plays exactly like him without the puck strength. Forsberg can still make things happen with a body all over him. Ruutu cant, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad