Value of: Rust and Dumoulin

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
There is going to be no chance that Hextall will willingly pay that kind of money for LD while keeping a guy like POJ in the press box. Not a chance.

They may not move any of them this season, but they'll definitely be moving one of them this off-season. They'd be morons to pay Dumoulin, Matheson and Pettersson over $13 million combined when they have POJ NHL ready.

In the offseason, sure. I was reading it was when Dumo comes back from IR. My apologies.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In the offseason, sure. I was reading it was when Dumo comes back from IR. My apologies.

Yeah I think you're right, they won't move him during the season. I think he's definitely trade bait after the year, barring something unforeseen like them winning a cup with Dumoulin playing a significant role.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Yeah I think you're right, they won't move him during the season. I think he's definitely trade bait after the year, barring something unforeseen like them winning a cup with Dumoulin playing a significant role.

Probably the smart move as well unless you get some crazy offers thrown your way. Make sure POJ, MM and Petts can continue to play the way they are.

The depth is nice to have considering the Pens have been one of the most injury riddled teams with man games lost the last 10 years but you cant have that much money tied up into the left side of the D

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Which is why I did put "easier" in quotes. They're games they should probably win, but usually struggle against. But like you said--I could see things going either way.
Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Difference right now for anyways is that, if the franchise is going in the wrong direction and will start to slide, I feel much better with Hextall than JR going forward!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

I think regardless of how he performs the rest of the year, this summer is the best time to trade him. Unless you can get someone to give you value for Matheson. Even if he keeps playing well I'd rather be out of that contract. I could easily see a team that gets bounced early in the playoffs giving their 1st and another smaller piece at the draft for Dumo, though.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
hypothetically, if the Penguins were to go into a rebuild/retool, what would other teams offer for one or both of these players. Rust has shown that his last season wasn’t just a one hit wonder and has become a star. He brings almost ppg offense with elite two way play. he really is pittsburgh’s best play driver. dumoulin is just a steady #3 dman. so shoot.

Dumo is the one you move. Don't need to move Rust at all. Starting to think Penguin fans have no clue.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
They sit outside the playoff picture in this division without any games against Buffalo or New Jersey yet. So in a sense--it DOES get "easier" for them.
Philly gets back their missing players. Boston isn't gonna decline. Washington will make a run. NYI sre steady. Its not gonna get easier. The pens can't hope the games against Buffalo are gonna save them . NJ has the pens number remember.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Philly gets back their missing players. Boston isn't gonna decline. Washington will make a run. NYI sre steady. Its not gonna get easier. The pens can't hope the games against Buffalo are gonna save them . NJ has the pens number remember.

To the same point, Pens were missing their D for a good chunk of time and they're getting their players back too.
"Easier" was in quotes for a reason--they are teams that they should easily beat, but have had their struggles against.

Reactions: domaug

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Or...crazy thought...they could keep them all and have actual depth. Matheson is not going to play like this forever and POJ is going to have up and downs for awhile.
That’s what Juicy’s for. We have 5 NHL LDs. Matheson’s contract is an issue—POJ is not available. So one of Dumo, Petterson or Rikola should be available. Get a nice winger to get Geno going and push down Zucker or KK to play with McCann.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Both are worth 1st+prospect+low level roster player or cap dump if the prospect is blue-chip. Realistically, Dumoulin is 29 and a top-pairing dman signed to a good value contract.

Rust is a top 6 forward with all the traits you want signed to a good value prospect. You can nickle and dime things based on a granular point analysis but it does detour from the fact that guys like Rust are highly sought after by 31 NHL teams, and for good reason.

I would put Rust's value slightly above Zucker's - 1st+Addison+Chucky as a dump. So start with a 1st + grade A prospect. Hell, even Kapanen pulled the 15ov + Hallander and he hasn't had the production Rust has. So again, somewhere in the 1st + A prospect realm.

Dumoulin, the same thing -- 1st+prospect

Dumoulin to the Habs for 1st+Prospect.

I think that would be realistic. 1st as the base then prospects can differ based upon a few different things. No roster player back, I would want a good prospect. If we are getting someone back that may be of value right away, I would be more flexible on the prospect.

I can also see them being a 1:1 swap where a team trades from strength to bolster a weakness. I've long thought that Dumoulin for JT Miller is a good value swap.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I can also see them being a 1:1 swap where a team trades from strength to bolster a weakness. I've long thought that Dumoulin for JT Miller is a good value swap.

That seems a little too spicy for Vancouver if I am in their shoes. JT Miller is a 1st line forward and was a beast last season. I imagine they wouldn't deal him unless they could also unload some of their toxic salary, which isn't something I imagine Pitt would ever consider. Miller's return was about the same, but his stock has gone up.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That seems a little too spicy for Vancouver if I am in their shoes. JT Miller is a 1st line forward and was a beast last season. I imagine they wouldn't deal him unless they could also unload some of their toxic salary, which isn't something I imagine Pitt would ever consider. Miller's return was about the same, but his stock has gone up.

Topline winger for a top pairing dman...shocking trade!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Dumoulin would be able to pull off Miller, there's almost no way that would happen. You'd be able to do Dumoulin for 2019 Miller, before he had his breakout with the Canucks. I know that because what Miller was traded for from the Lightning seems pretty well in line with what I think Dumoulin's trade value would be right now. But you're not getting 2021 Miller for 2019 Miller prices.

I also don't see the point in moving Dumoulin for another top-6 winger. You have 4 top-6 wingers already: Guentzel, Rust, Zucker and Kapanen. If you're adding another top-6 winger, it has to be with one of your existing top-6 wingers going out the door. There just aren't enough minutes to go around to push one of those guys into the bottom-6.

Reactions: deckercky

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Rust almost certainly not available

Dumo could probably be had for a 1st plus, with the plus being something around second round value

Could see Dumo+McCann for a 1st and NHL ready 3rd line ELC forward with upside

Doesn’t make a ton of sense for Pittsburgh to be adding rentals or players that aren’t expansion exempt in any trade

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Rust would take a mega overpayment. He has been the best forward and probably player on the Pens.

I’d be interested if Dumoulin could return a top 6 winger or 3C. Feels too early to deal him for futures tho.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yeah, I really dont want to see Dumo moved. In a fair world, the big gamble I would take would be shopping Letang IMO, but the Matheson trade and the emergence of POJ mean that the left side is overloaded.

Dumo is the obvious move, given his age and contract situation, but if he comes back from injury as the same player, I think he could do wonders for a "young" team looking to take the next step in the postseason. A Colorado or Edmonton kind of situation.

No way in hell I'm moving Rust, unless its for the mother of all overpays.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
To the same point, Pens were missing their D for a good chunk of time and they're getting their players back too.
"Easier" was in quotes for a reason--they are teams that they should easily beat, but have had their struggles against.
That's the point. This is easily the strongest division on paper and this is what it is... Jersey plays them well... the pens missing all that D was a good thing , gave ceci a chance to step up, gave POJ a shot etc...there isn't a team in this division that the pens should easily beat, this isn't 2016 anymore

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Trading Rust would be asinine.

Penguins could potentially attempt to trade Dumoulin and Pettersson though, since they have excess LD. Matheson has been performing well so far and there is no chance he is traded already. Olivier-Joseph has been great, and is the very reason they have an excess.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Dumo and Letang are the 2 guys they move for futures to free up cap space in the flat cap era. Both will easily fetch 1st and high end prospect doubt they trade them until after the season is over.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What would the ask be for dumo? What’s his injury status ?

He'll be back soon. I would say his value is something around:

2 2nds if there's no salary coming back.
1st+2nd to a contender with cap coming back.
1st+quality prospect+roster player for cap reasons.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
He'll be back soon. I would say his value is something around:

2 2nds if there's no salary coming back.
1st+2nd to a contender with cap coming back.
1st+quality prospect+roster player for cap reasons.
A little on the pricey side I would think . I mean if matheson is pushing him out of the lineup somethings not adding up here .

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
A little on the pricey side I would think . I mean if matheson is pushing him out of the lineup somethings not adding up here .
It's not as much as Matheson being better as that Matheson has 0 or negative value abd Dumoulin has value in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad