Value of: Rust and Dumoulin

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
hypothetically, if the Penguins were to go into a rebuild/retool, what would other teams offer for one or both of these players. Rust has shown that his last season wasn’t just a one hit wonder and has become a star. He brings almost ppg offense with elite two way play. he really is pittsburgh’s best play driver. dumoulin is just a steady #3 dman. so shoot.

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
If it's rebuild, Rust will probably get a high-mid 1st at least. He is really good. Don't see him being moved tbh. He's kind of the presence you would want with your rookies playing.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
If it's rebuild, Rust will probably get a high-mid 1st at least. He is really good. Don't see him being moved tbh. He's kind of the presence you would want with your rookies playing.

yea i was thinking mid/high 1st and top prospect. how would you value dumo?

Brown Cat

Hates OP
Jan 7, 2021
yea i was thinking mid/high 1st and top prospect. how would you value dumo?

Not sure myself. I know he has been an anchor (the good kind, not the insulting kind), but I would have to see more of him. Since Marino came around, he probably is a good candidate to trade for rebuilding picks.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Not sure myself. I know he has been an anchor (the good kind, not the insulting kind), but I would have to see more of him. Since Marino came around, he probably is a good candidate to trade for rebuilding picks.

honestly, dumoulin shouldn’t be available but since he got injured and the emergence of POJ, our 3 LD are set with Peterson, Matheson, POJ. curious to hear how other fans value them.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
With the emergence of Pierre-Oliver Joseph and with how fantastic Matheson looks, there is definitely a logjam at LD for us. Dumoulin definitely shouldn´t be untouchable like he was one year ago. I would explore trading him or Pettersson. Both are solid solid players but I prefer Matheson and Joseph over them and it also looks like a good asset management to treat it this way. Rust is obviously going nowhere, he has been our BEST PLAYER this season but Dumoulin is interesting to find out.

IMO the Pens have a very underrated and deep defense squad. Matheson is really really playing great now and even Ceci looks rock solid in his role. Joseph is clearly NHL ready and more. Marino is back to form. Letang regressed, that´s obvious but he is still good. Pettersson or Dumoulin, just makes no sense to scratch one of them, they are too good for it. P.O.Joseph needs to play, would be a real shame if he is the one scratched and that´s the reason why we are discussing the value of Dumoulin.

Last edited:
Reactions: StroShow and LRS87

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Wouldn't be shocked to see Dumo moved, but I can't see Rust going anywhere, now McCann on the other hand..

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Penguins in a very complex space right now. They have been a bit better including jarry. Despite this they still sit outside a playoff spot and this division isn't going to get easier.
So much depends on the next 10 games . This will dictate which direction the pens go. Everything points to mild tweaks this season in hopes they can compete. We know they are lookikg at veteran goalies. We know they are looking for some grit especially on D and 3/4 C.
Unless pens fall completely off map dont expect rust to go anywhere but if he did he is worth a first plus a prospect especially to a team like Edmonton.
Dumo more likey to go , worth a 2nd plus . He may be swapped for another D straight up
McCann is unlikely to finish season with pens. Jank as well. There were rumblings about ZAR but his strong play may have changed that. Zucker would be moved for the right price. Desmith moved if they bring a goalie in . Matherson has been mucj better but needs to continue his play before a decision is made . Rikola headed out

Who might be headed in??? Well that's all speculation. Bennett? Quick? Evander kane ? Adma Larsson,? Been lists of rumblings from western Canada about both Oilers and flames wanting to upgrade at forward. Something around McCann/ zucker ?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Dumoulin IMO is still easily worth a 1st+. Rust obviously much more than that. Rust is legit, hands down the best player for us so far, becoming a leader of this team as well.

Ottawa2171

Jan 8, 2020
I would not part with Dumo for anything less than 2 2nds at the very minimum. I think he should fetch a late first if made available. Anchored the blue line for 2 cups, can eat big minutes, and signed at a very reasonable cap hit.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I love Dumo. I hate that I'm even warming to moving him...

That being said I'd want something immediately impactful in a return for him. Screw the draft picks. My personal preference would be a power forward for line 1 or 2. Team gaining Dumo is getting a rock solid 1LD/2LD at 4.1M for 2.5 years. That shouldn't come cheap.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Dumoulin IMO is still easily worth a 1st+. Rust obviously much more than that. Rust is legit, hands down the best player for us so far, becoming a leader of this team as well.

I would love Rust, but if he costs "much more" than 1st+, it's going to be a hard sell. At that pricetag, I imagine he stays in Pittsburgh.

honestly, dumoulin shouldn’t be available but since he got injured and the emergence of POJ, our 3 LD are set with Peterson, Matheson, POJ. curious to hear how other fans value them.

Are you saying Dumo has lost his spot to Peterson and Matheson?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I would love Rust, but if he costs "much more" than 1st+, it's going to be a hard sell. At that pricetag, I imagine he stays in Pittsburgh.

Rust is not for sale.

I don't know what that person was necessarily insinuating but something is likely to give on the left side in Pittsburgh. That something is going to be Pettersson or Dumoulin. I'd certainly rather move Pettersson - but Dumoulin would/should fetch a hell of a lot more in a trade - so there's that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It's more so that the Penguins need to retool and they can afford to trade Dumoulin due to who else they have on LD. They have to trade someone on LD due to POJ's emergence and Dumoulin probably makes the most sense due to his age.

Assuming Matheson keeps playing like he has with the Penguins, they're set up pretty well with POJ, Pettersson and Matheson as their LD going forward.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It's more so that the Penguins need to retool and they can afford to trade Dumoulin due to who else they have on LD. They have to trade someone on LD due to POJ's emergence and Dumoulin probably makes the most sense due to his age.

Assuming Matheson keeps playing like he has with the Penguins, they're set up pretty well with POJ, Pettersson and Matheson as their LD going forward.

Or...crazy thought...they could keep them all and have actual depth. Matheson is not going to play like this forever and POJ is going to have up and downs for awhile.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars

In a rebuild/retool, Dumo goes first as he is the oldest LD starter they have. Matheson (may not be movable), Petts and POJ would be kept. Petts and POJ are 24 YO and 21 YO. Nothing against Dumo, but in a rebuild situation it pretty much makes sense Dumo would be the one to go. It would just be a business decision as someone needs to go to restock draft picks/prospects.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or...crazy thought...they could keep them all and have actual depth. Matheson is not going to play like this forever and POJ is going to have up and downs for awhile.

There is going to be no chance that Hextall will willingly pay that kind of money for LD while keeping a guy like POJ in the press box. Not a chance.

They may not move any of them this season, but they'll definitely be moving one of them this off-season. They'd be morons to pay Dumoulin, Matheson and Pettersson over $13 million combined when they have POJ NHL ready.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumoulin to the Habs for 1st+Prospect.

I think this would probably get a positive reaction from Hextall, especially when the Penguins don't have their 1st this year.

I'd probably ask for Fleury or Brooks as that extra prospect. The Penguins are super thin on RD prospects, to the point where I think they're better off re-signing Ceci after the year (he's been very good though). It would be nicer if they didn't have to sink probably $2.5+ million on Ceci to re-sign him and instead would insert a young guy as the 3rd pair RD.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Wouldn't be shocked to see Dumo moved, but I can't see Rust going anywhere, now McCann on the other hand..

Agreed 100%
Right now Rust is playing fantastic, probably our best forward on most nights. Massive overpayment to get him out of Pittsburgh
The way Matheson is playing since coming back from injury and with POJ playing well I think Dumoulin becomes expandable and we should move him and cash in. McCan as well if there is interest out there for him.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Agreed 100%
Right now Rust is playing fantastic, probably our best forward on most nights. Massive overpayment to get him out of Pittsburgh
The way Matheson is playing since coming back from injury and with POJ playing well I think Dumoulin becomes expandable and we should move him and cash in. McCan as well if there is interest out there for him.
Yeah, I'd look to move on from both guys to be honest, get as good a backage as possible for Dumo, either futures based, or get some grit and energy and with the return for McCann, try to build a working bortom six line to go along with the BART line, because our fourth line right now is not NHL quality.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Penguins in a very complex space right now. They have been a bit better including jarry. Despite this they still sit outside a playoff spot and this division isn't going to get easier.
So much depends on the next 10 games . This will dictate which direction the pens go. Everything points to mild tweaks this season in hopes they can compete. We know they are lookikg at veteran goalies. We know they are looking for some grit especially on D and 3/4 C.
Unless pens fall completely off map dont expect rust to go anywhere but if he did he is worth a first plus a prospect especially to a team like Edmonton.
Dumo more likey to go , worth a 2nd plus . He may be swapped for another D straight up
McCann is unlikely to finish season with pens. Jank as well. There were rumblings about ZAR but his strong play may have changed that. Zucker would be moved for the right price. Desmith moved if they bring a goalie in . Matherson has been mucj better but needs to continue his play before a decision is made . Rikola headed out

Who might be headed in??? Well that's all speculation. Bennett? Quick? Evander kane ? Adma Larsson,? Been lists of rumblings from western Canada about both Oilers and flames wanting to upgrade at forward. Something around McCann/ zucker ?

They sit outside the playoff picture in this division without any games against Buffalo or New Jersey yet. So in a sense--it DOES get "easier" for them.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
They sit outside the playoff picture in this division without any games against Buffalo or New Jersey yet. So in a sense--it DOES get "easier" for them.

Considering how we always struggle against the Sabres in recent years and also the good solid play by the Devils this year I really don't think it get's easier.
I really do believe that this season with the crazy schedule for every team, anything is possible and there aren't really any easy games.
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if we are part of the top 4 or not! This season is just f***ed up!

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Considering how we always struggle against the Sabres in recent years and also the good solid play by the Devils this year I really don't think it get's easier.
I really do believe that this season with the crazy schedule for every team, anything is possible and there aren't really any easy games.
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if we are part of the top 4 or not! This season is just f***ed up!

Which is why I did put "easier" in quotes. They're games they should probably win, but usually struggle against. But like you said--I could see things going either way.
Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad