Russia's roster : first 10 players announced!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
wilka91 said:
The Russians added forwards Alexei Zhamnov and Oleg Kvasha.

Kvasha was already on there....

Where did Zhamnov get added at? Just so we have clarification.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Belyaletdinov told Sovetsky Sport that Zhamnov is on the team!

Sovetsky Sport also tried contacting several players :

- D. Markov : said he'll play
- Datsyuk : yes
- Morozov : yes
- Malakhov : won't play
- Zherdev, Saprykin, Korolyuk were not contacted
- Kovalev : couldn't answer cuz he was baby-sitting

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:

Well i dont care even if they bring Nazarov...All i want to see if they will gel together and how will the chemistry be...
CAn somebody tell me what success did these new coach had with Dinamo in RSL ,is he defensive or offensive oriented...

joe_shannon_1983*

Without Fedorov, it might be kind of hard for the Russians to win this thing.

He is their best player and is able to dominate a game at both ends of the ice.

TOGLIATTI

Apr 23, 2004
MI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

jcs_1983_shannonman said:
Without Fedorov, it might be kind of hard for the Russians to win this thing.

He is their best player and is able to dominate a game at both ends of the ice.

He MUST play.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Macman said:
Direct quote: "That team was full of nobodies." They weren't. In fact, they were the best two dozen players in the Soviet Union at the time. The national team. The creme de la creme. The best the Motherland had to offer. Give it up, you're getting silly.

Your missing the point. Sure it was their best team at the time, but in relation to past Soviet teams, the '87 squad WAS a bunch of nobodies. Apart from the "Green Unit", they were not that overly talented. 2nd liners Bykov, Khomutov and Kamesnky were good but certainly not at the level of past 2nd liners (Maltsev, Yakushev, Balderis, Starshinov, Vikulov, Mayorov, etc.). Even on defense, Gusarov, Starikov and Stelnov were nothing special. -- And their goaltending was even worse.

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
wilka91 said:

what's with Malakhov !? :mad:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Simagin said:
what's with Malakhov !? :mad:

According to him a long time ago he already said that the 2002 Olympics was his last appearance for Russia. Then he says he's too old and not healthy enough to play. But nobody even contacted him yet anyway.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
hockeyGod said:
Putting Ovehckin on b4 Kovalchuk...(shakes head)

THERE'S NO TOP 10!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR GOD'S SAKES, THESE ARE SIMPLY THE PLAYERS WHO AGREED TO PLAY.

KOVALCHUK DIDN'T GIVE AN ANSWER YET BECAUSE HE'S ON VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:

EDIT: STOP screaming, it's enough that my girlfriend is bugging me about spending too much time on the boards, now you are screaming as well!? ;) /Predatore

Last edited by a moderator:

mackdogs*

wilka91 said:
He is soooooo talented, but give him a brain and he's the best player in the world.

Ya, let's give him your brain. He'll be sure to score 200 points per season.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
wilka91 said:
Maltby, Yzerman, Draper, Doan, Brewer, Regehr ...

Aren't you contradicting yourself a little bit when you say that a team is not about the sum of its parts and then saying that Yashin could play on Team Canada A over some of the best checking players in the world in Yzerman, Draper , Maltby and Regehr. Clearly there is no room for Yashin on a scoring line for Canada and to be perfectly honest with you, there is no way I'd even put him on a scoring line over Stever Yzerman.

As for Brewer, very few Canadiens think he should be there anyways. Despite that, I doubt he will even play.

And there is nothing that Tverdosky does better than Pronger except skate. Russia would put Pronger on their team in a heartbeat.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Have any of you seen Tverdovsky play last season? This was the best season of his career. Now I'd like to remind you that he has ranked in the NHL's top 5 defensemen in scoring a couple of times, and now he's obviously playing better. I'm not saying he has been included for his physical play, but at least 3 D-men on the Canadian roster are worse than Oleg.

As for Yashin, it's funny how you guys like to compare him to players who didn't make Canada's team. Let me remind you that Steve Yzerman is on your team, so it's not worth arguing. And if you're questionning Yashin's heart, all I can say that playing for the Islanders or Senators is not the same for a Russian as playing for your country.
Tverdovsky is simply not suited to be on Team Canada. It's not the same for a Russian when playing for his country you say? What has he done for Team Russia? Didn't he played in the lastest World Championship? How did he fared? I rather have old Yzerman than Yashin.

P.S. Saying that Russians are eager to play for their country is almost laughable these days.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Mothra said:
Whats the point of talking about how player X wouldnt make a certain countries B or C team.....its both arrogant and ignorant....its also makes me think about the canadian fan that was walking around the then named Cores States Spectrum in Philly laughing and boasting how Brett Hull couldnt even make team canada for the last world cup......we all know how that worked out

all these teams will be filled with very good/great players......it should be a fantastic tourny.....but it will be won on the ice...not on paper

I wouldn't have said that x player wouldn't make a certain A team if the poster I was replaying to didn't insinuate that this x player would have made the A team. Just say that the x player deserves to be on the team because he had a great season blah blah blah... What goes around comes around.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
Tverdovsky is simply not suited to be on Team Canada. It's not the same for a Russian when playing for his country you say? What has he done for Team Russia? Didn't he played in the lastest World Championship? How did he fared? I rather have old Yzerman than Yashin.

P.S. Saying that Russians are eager to play for their country is almost laughable these days.

Canada could be 7th, and it wouldn't even surprise me. All the teams out there (except Germany) can beat Canada, and by a large score...IMO, the Sweeds and the Czechs have a better team. The Russians can demolish any team if the feel like, the Slovaks have more offense than the Czechs, and the Finns are THE team you don't want to face in the medal round.

Canada took 4th in Nagano, sucked all tournament long in Salt Lake ( losing to the best team (Sweden), tieng the champions (Czechs), and not playing vs Russia (which should have being in the final)..

Give me a brake. Canada has an incredible team, but they aren't better than anybody else. It's like asking, who's gona score on a brake away? Iginla, Kovalchuk, Hejduk, Forsberg, Jokinen, Bondra, Modano....they all can!!

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slick Nick said:
Canada could be 7th, and it wouldn't even surprise me. All the teams out there (except Germany) can beat Canada, and by a large score...IMO, the Sweeds and the Czechs have a better team. The Russians can demolish any team if the feel like, the Slovaks have more offense than the Czechs, and the Finns are THE team you don't want to face in the medal round.

Canada took 4th in Nagano, sucked all tournament long in Salt Lake ( losing to the best team (Sweden), tieng the champions (Czechs), and not playing vs Russia (which should have being in the final)..

Give me a brake. Canada has an incredible team, but they aren't better than anybody else. It's like asking, who's gona score on a brake away? Iginla, Kovalchuk, Hejduk, Forsberg, Jokinen, Bondra, Modano....they all can!!
Why are you quoting me for? I agree with you on everything except for Czechs and Swedes being better than Canada on paper. Any of the 7 teams can win the World Cup. I never said that Canada is invincible. I just don't think that Tverdovsky nor Yashin can be on Team Canada.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
wilka91 said:
TEAM RUSSIA World Cup ROSTER

D Sergei Gonchar, Bos.
D Andrei Markov, Mon.
D Alexander Khavanov, Stl.
D Oleg Tverdovsky, Omsk

F Alexei Yashin, NYI
F Sergei Samsonov, Bos.
F Dainius Zubrus, Was.
F Maxim Afinogenov, Buf.
F Andrei Nikolishin, Col.
F Alexander Ovechkin, Dynamo
F Oleg Kvasha, NYI
F Alexei Zhamnov, Phi.

I find alarming that in the first 12 names announced there aren‘t guys like Fedorov, Khabi, Kovalchuk etc…while guys like Kvasha and Khavanov are there..

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
helicecopter said:
I find alarming that in the first 12 names announced there aren‘t guys like Fedorov, Khabi, Kovalchuk etc…while guys like Kvasha and Khavanov are there..

Oh my God how many times do I have to repeat that this is not like a top 12. These names are announced because these player were able to give an answer. Everyone knows that Kovalchuk and Khabi and probably Fedorov will say yes. They've always played for Russia, and it's not gonna change!

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Oh my God how many times do I have to repeat that this is not like a top 12. These names are announced because these player were able to give an answer. Everyone knows that Kovalchuk and Khabi and probably Fedorov will say yes. They've always played for Russia, and it's not gonna change!
Hey, i'm just honestly saying i would feel more quiet with those names already there. With the Russian team you never know what's really going on, so 'everyone knows' translates to me as 'everyone expects'..
Maybe you try to exorcize your own fears by repeating your certanties..i perfectly know this is not a top 12! I'm still pretty comfortable for Khabi and Kovalchuk but i'm way less quiet with Fedorov ( not to talk about all the others like Mogilny, Zubov,etc..).
Anyway i hope your optimism will be backed up by the facts!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I find nothing alarming in seeing those names before others. It simply depends on who they can contact first and who can give a clear answer. But as for Mogilny, Zubov ... don't expect them to be on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad